PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD practice?

xa-mont
23-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Hey guys,

Just started playing with AutoCAD last night. Thought i could get myself a head start on the apprenticeship.

Anyone know of any good tutes around or anything? or perhaps something simple that i could just try and do (with some engineering drawings to follow would be good)

Cheers,
Trav

Swordsy
23-03-2012, 07:30 PM
When I was teaching people to use autocad, i used to use the Tafe NSW CAD A and CAD B books, but they weren't mine so I couldn't take them when I left :(

But I just did a quick search and found this one which looks pretty similar to the ones that I used.

http://cad-detaildrafting-granville.swsi.wikispaces.net/file/view/MEM09003B.pdf

xa-mont
23-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks a lot man. I'll go through that over the weekend.

Hagarr
23-03-2012, 10:39 PM
When I was teaching people to use autocad, i used to use the Tafe NSW CAD A and CAD B books, but they weren't mine so I couldn't take them when I left :(

But I just did a quick search and found this one which looks pretty similar to the ones that I used.

http://cad-detaildrafting-granville.swsi.wikispaces.net/file/view/MEM09003B.pdf

I started with the introductory course at TAFE and didn't look back.

The best way to learn is to start with a simple project for the bike, a bracket or something.

The TAFE course will provide you with some very basic drawings to start on and you go from there.

Have fun it's a great product, I'm now trying to learn Solidworks and now I'm struggling again D'oH!

lurch
23-03-2012, 11:03 PM
There are heaps of tutorials on jewtube as well. I use MicroStation at work and I've managed to pick quite a few good pointers up from there.

latheboy
24-03-2012, 08:31 AM
You can build anything in a computer but that doesn't mean it can be made.

Use your exp. with the machines you have used to design anything.
Think about how to make your part as you draw it and you'll have a much easier time when it comes to building your product.

Hagarr
24-03-2012, 03:19 PM
You can build anything in a computer but that doesn't mean it can be made.

Use your exp. with the machines you have used to design anything.
Think about how to make your part as you draw it and you'll have a much easier time when it comes to building your product.

Thats the tip and thats why I struggle at Solidworks! (3D)

latheboy
24-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I find 3D much easier than 2D, but I think in 3D ie: I build everything in my head before building it in SW.

xa-mont
24-03-2012, 05:59 PM
do people not use AutoCAD much for 3D? that's what i wanted to play around with more.

latheboy
24-03-2012, 07:00 PM
I think you'll find SW or Inventer are the common programs to use.

I don't know anyone who uses autocad, sorry that's a lie, my sister inlaw uses it.... She's a landscape architect

Hagarr
24-03-2012, 07:10 PM
My colleague does a fair bit in ACAD 3D but he's been using ACAD since MS Dos days and hes a fucken wizz!

Principles for Extruding appear the same or similar.

xa-mont
24-03-2012, 07:16 PM
perhaps i should play around with SW then?

Will TAFE use AutoCAD or SW?

Swordsy
24-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I use 2d autocad at work, you just need to imagine things in 3d...
if you're going to create drawings out of it, they come out in 2d anyway.

What I'd suggest is learn the 2d drawing format, then transfer those skills to solid works or inventor in 3d after learning autocad.

Tafe teaches autocad and solidworks/inventor, but always teach autocad first.

Hagarr
24-03-2012, 11:02 PM
I use 2d autocad at work, you just need to imagine things in 3d...
if you're going to create drawings out of it, they come out in 2d anyway.

What I'd suggest is learn the 2d drawing format, then transfer those skills to solid works or inventor in 3d after learning autocad.

Tafe teaches autocad and solidworks/inventor, but always teach autocad first.

My 2cents worth it has fucked me up in trying to grasp Solidworks, perhaps I'm just a fuckwit but I could generally do most fabrication shop drawings accurately and fairly quick in ACAD but I just can't get Solidworks its just so different to learn against aCAD, its like going from Windows XP to Windows Seven if that makes sense everything is just so different but the same.

wackyrider
26-03-2012, 06:41 AM
I used Inventor for 3D work Trav. At TAFE, you're not gonna use either I would say to br honest. I'm not sure it has anything to do with the apprenticeship, only Diploma and higher

latheboy
27-03-2012, 10:41 AM
3D is Rad, no it's not my model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvZiN5zFgQ&feature=player_embedded

xa-mont
27-03-2012, 10:50 AM
that guy has too much time on his hands :P

fimpBIKES
27-03-2012, 11:33 AM
if you have practical experience solidworks or inventor should be easy to pick up

just built it how you normally would as your modelling, then the drawings are just snapshots from particular angles

3d autocad is shite, its just cheap. thats the only reason it exists
most autocad work these days would be in civil constructions (where its pretty much lines and there are standard connections that get used by whoever has to build the thing) or for doing schematics

Hagarr
28-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Anybody have any GSXR 11 Motor Blocks (SW) they can pass on?

HOS
28-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Been using AutoCAD since R11, now using full version 2008.
In the construction industry its all 2D stuff because the guys on site use paper drawings and
because buildings tend to be fairly rectangular and uniform.
But to draw in 2D you must be able to visulaise what you are drawing in 3D.

AutoCAD is fucking huge mate !!! It is a massive piece of generic software that can be used by any design discipline. It aint user friendly and we only use small part of it even for complex construction drawings.

Only full AutoCAD has 3D ability, the AutoCAD LT versions don't or didn't?

You might want to look at the AutoCAD with a view to how it works with CADCAM ?

My son has applied to college to do a motorsport engineering coure so I'm gonna teach him to use 2D CAD over the summer break.

HOS
28-03-2012, 06:28 PM
AutoCAD is a generic piece of design software but CADCAM is what is used to manufacture from/with:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=17691027

Can I suggest you search this : "AutoCAD free online tutorial" ?

latheboy
28-03-2012, 07:09 PM
In the construction industry its all 2D stuff because the guys on site use paper drawings and
because buildings tend to be fairly rectangular and uniform.

That is bullshit. All the guys at my workshop get printed 2D engineering drawings to work from, even tho I design in 3D. All the machine shops I know of use "paper" drawings.

The shape of the build has nothing to do with weather it needs 2D or 3D, that's just retarded to think that.

latheboy
28-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Anybody have any GSXR 11 Motor Blocks (SW) they can pass on?

I have the front end,frame and motor that's in that vid:cool:

Swordsy
28-03-2012, 07:17 PM
That is bullshit. All the guys at my workshop get printed 2D engineering drawings to work from, even tho I design in 3D. All the machine shops I know of use "paper" drawings.

The shape of the build has nothing to do with weather it needs 2D or 3D, that's just retarded to think that.

All the stuff the we build at work is designed in 2d including this

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb182/sandman_355/SS303.jpg

Hagarr
28-03-2012, 07:39 PM
I have the front end,frame and motor that's in that vid:cool:

Pretty Please :p

HOS
28-03-2012, 11:55 PM

I was talking about the construction industry who use 2D paper drawings on site. You cant carry a fukkin laptop around with you up scaffold when it pissing down with rain. :)

On the new construction projects up to £600M I have had personal overall responsibility for, for the likes of AMEC, Carillion, Atkins, Scott Wilson etc, its all in 2D mate.

That was me managing a database of over 30,000 CAD consultants and contractors drawings over the internet on three seperate databases in three different cuntries. 6 on site Architects and 6 site engineers on a 3 phase handover for one of the big Pharma Co's.

Yes by and large we still design in 2D even the big boys.
3D is just for pwetty pickshurs.

Yes enginerring for components is different.

HOS
28-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I do teach AutoCAD as well.

HOS
29-03-2012, 12:12 AM
AutoDesk brought out a new piece of software about 13 years ago called "Architectural 3D Desktop" and the full version was about £30k at the time. I spent a whole day in 2000 being demo'd the new software by AutoDesk with a colleague of mine.

When we had finished the demo I almost shat me pants because it would have wiped out most of the design professions in the building industry. Thankfully it never caught on.

The whole concept behind that software was to design the whole building as a 3D model. Then all of the latest building safety standards, construction regulations, thermal requirements etc were loaded into it (or preloaded) which meant any untrained chimp could design a major building.

The clever part was the software itself created all the 2D drawings from the 3D model.
It produced window and door schedules, it created all the floor plans, elevations, sections and even Bills of Quants.

As I say, thank fuck it never caught on !!!

latheboy
29-03-2012, 08:08 AM
AutoDesk brought out a new piece of software about 13 years ago called "Architectural 3D Desktop" and the full version was about £30k at the time. I spent a whole day in 2000 being demo'd the new software by AutoDesk with a colleague of mine.

When we had finished the demo I almost shat me pants because it would have wiped out most of the design professions in the building industry. Thankfully it never caught on.

The whole concept behind that software was to design the whole building as a 3D model. Then all of the latest building safety standards, construction regulations, thermal requirements etc were loaded into it (or preloaded) which meant any untrained chimp could design a major building.

The clever part was the software itself created all the 2D drawings from the 3D model.
It produced window and door schedules, it created all the floor plans, elevations, sections and even Bills of Quants.

As I say, thank fuck it never caught on !!!

Well, to me that sounds like a program that could make the designers life much easier.
But hey, I like things that move me towards the future.

I thought that all the standards for windows, power points etc were a given so it wouldn't matter if the program did it as well.

latheboy
29-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Pretty Please :p

Pm sent bro......

HOS
29-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, to me that sounds like a program that could make the designers life much easier.
But hey, I like things that move me towards the future.

I thought that all the standards for windows, power points etc were a given so it wouldn't matter if the program did it as well.

It is a brilliant program tbh ! But if it worked well, one reasonably skilled guy could design a fair sized building in a couple of days rather than a whole team of guys taking a couple of weeks.

But thankfully the building industry is still full of old dinosaurs. I know some Architects and engineers who are still on the drawing board, they cannot or will not crossover to CAD. I know CAD is a totally brilliant tool !!
A lot of Architects and engineers still cannot use paper space with model space.
The skills shortage was seriously bad when I was recruiting my own design teams.
People who claim to, cannot do CAD. But its piss easy !! ;)

Example:
I did a job for one of the main UK house builders. To design 12 blocks of apartments all over the UK using their company standard apartments and standard service stair design. They provided us with their CAD designs.
Took me (on my own) about 4 weeks to do the lot on CAD: plans, elevations, sections, coursing rods, door and window schedules etc.....

£70k straight profit bang ! in the company bank account. (Not my company sadly, I was freelancing for another company)
Its just a big cut-and-paste exercise and thats the beauty of it.

Hagarr
30-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Pm sent bro......

Excellent work found some great stuff and even for the model gixxer I have how's that !!!!

Thank You for the link much appreciated.