PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium or SS Custom Fuel Cell Questions

fimpBIKES
13-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Gents,

Looking at getting a fuel cell made up in a bit of a fancy shape

Went through all the shit with tank liner etc on katana tank last year
and since this is a development sort of thing I was thinking it might be better to go aluminium.

So the question is would I still need to line the tank?
I could look at stainless too, girlfriends work does lots of stainless fab work. stainless wouldnt need a liner would it?
Or is it more a case of fuel seeping out of welds?

Anyone had experience in this? Im looking to sub this job out too once I have the design so if anyone wants to put their hand up to earn some $$$ that'd be great too :cool:

Hillsy
13-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Alloy or stainless won't need liners (steel shouldn't either - liners are really for corroded / pin-holed tanks). If the tank is properly welded, it won't leak.

I'd probably go for alloy if I was you just for the lower weight, but stainless could work out better if you want a more durable polished finish.

Redmohawk
13-03-2012, 08:05 PM
If the welder leaves pin holes on a fuel tank , don't pay ! Even I can weld up a tank without leaks , if a welder can't do a decent job there something wrong. Ali is the way to go (lite easy to work cheaper to build) but if your planning on running anything exotic like methanol regually go for stainless. Meth and a few additives to petrol like benzene/toulene will eat ali slowly.

ALBI
13-03-2012, 08:06 PM
as he said conrad ^^^^^^^

all you need to do ,is make a carbourd template and give it to a sheet metal joint ,there is a good sheetmetal joint in thornton glenwood drive turn left of new england hwy for thornton ,then turn left at roundabout the bp is on the left go about 500mtr and on the left is a sheetmetal dude, very good and priced well,

Swordsy
13-03-2012, 08:29 PM
as he said conrad ^^^^^^^

all you need to do ,is make a carbourd template and give it to a sheet metal joint ,there is a good sheetmetal joint in thornton glenwood drive turn left of new england hwy for thornton ,then turn left at roundabout the bp is on the left go about 500mtr and on the left is a sheetmetal dude, very good and priced well,

Hunter stainless, we use them at work a bit, they go pretty well and are fairly priced

BANDITROD
13-03-2012, 08:35 PM
save some weight and go alloy