PDA

View Full Version : Time to wake up, pull ya heads out the sand...before it's too late

sharky
08-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I attended a meeting last night of the Motorcycle Riders Association of Qld (as a paid up member) to vote in new commitee members.
This is one of the only official groups that Gov actually listen to.

Some of the upcoming ideas, and current laws are ridiculous..and now is the time to act.

In Vic all the riders right groups have lobbyed gov about filtering....by joining in one voice they are making themselves heard...
Its time for all riders, whether they are weekend business men, 'fighter riders, harley boys or scooter girls to stand up.

For example, are you even aware that helmets in Qld comply to an older version of AU standards to NSW and Vic ?
Just by riding interstate you could get a ticket for an 'illegal' helmet..

This is not about the so called 'anti bikie' laws.....these weren't even mentioned last night.....this is about every single one of us...

I strongly suggest you look up your local riders rights group, take off the blinkers and do something about it...

Or the next thing you know all modifications from absolute stock will be illegal, we'll all be wearing dayglo vests and as for a group of riders wearing ASF patches...you'll all be treated the way the law currently treats 1%'ers (unless they have lawyers riding with them)

I don't expect many of you to join up or get involved....must will say "fuk 'em...I'll do what I like"......But remember what biker power did in NSW re: rego increases......We can fight and we can win......but not from ranting on a keyboard or sitting on the sofa......

Hagarr
08-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I agree totally but of all the years i've tried to get involved there has always seemed to be one voice with one agenda and apologies to anybody that may be included with that statement but the resulting shitfight that ensued because of the ideals of one has fucked it for everybody else and quite frankly the gentleman making the noises were fuckwits and caused more damage than han good.

Hence the only "Club" I associate with is ASF after many years of trolling around on bikes and I guess I have to accept the consequences that this brings.

i would love nothing more than standing on a soapbox and sorting out a few pollies and associations but unfortunately my situation in life doesn't allow me the time to do so, perhaps in another lifetime?.

As I said I am 100% agreeable with what you have just stated!

sharky
08-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Even by simply joining and paying the membership fee ($15) you are helping by adding funds to the pot
MRAQ will be hosting an event soon to draw everyone attention to what is going onand as we know this costs loadsa money.

oldskool
08-03-2012, 08:39 PM
The only way you will ever get change is with bikers in parliament.

The government never listened to the people even if they rioted they don't listen, unless they created an armed struggle on mass then they listened.

The only way to make real change is to have an armed struggle or have like minded people in the top jobs.

Sorry but I am of the camp that infiltration is the only way, hippy lobbying never got you anywhere let alone listened to.

sharky
08-03-2012, 08:48 PM
So what about nsw and rego ....they got things done

oldskool
08-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Luck and the stars must have been aligned.

sharky
09-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Good on ya mate....That's the sort of attitude the gov luv....

What happened to standing up for our rights ??

Oh sorry, too much like hard work.....rather be drinking beer...

Well if they succeed you'll have plenty of time for it as modifying bikes will be outlawed..
But watch out riding the morning after a few...they're proposing 0 blood alcohol for riders

hooligan
09-03-2012, 07:21 AM
It wasn't luck and the stars, it was hard work by people like weasel and a lot of others. And some easy work by people like me, who turned up and shouted or cheered at the appropriate times. I am a well trained monkey.

Jinx
09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Have to agree with Sharky on this. The regs on motorcyclists and mods in Oz are bullshit and getting worse especially Qld. We have to deal with more crap than anywhere else in the world that I know of. I was in the MRAQ and QMS committee (Qld Motorcycle Solidarity) in the 70s and 80s and even managed to organise a few protest runs. Looks like its time for me to stand up and be counted again. Let those who ride decide.

TheRussian
09-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I completely agree!!!! Bikers need to unite and be seen and heard.

Bob
09-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I agree with ya sharky. I should learn how to get involed with some of thee groups.

rod185651
09-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Weasel, Big Kev, and Myself all have our differences but one thing we have in common is our love for riding our bikes and being members of riders against bureaucracy. It's funny though, the biggest driving force behind us were women like Merylyn who gave us advice to fight the fight down here in NSW.

Lucky? Yes we were, lucky to have mates who were prepared to stand together to fight against the government.

Good luck Sharky, hope you get a united front for bike riders in QLD

K6Thou
09-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Who do get in touch with QLD ?

rod185651
09-03-2012, 10:08 PM
http://www.mraqld.org/

(http://www.mraqld.org/)

K6Thou
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Cheers Rod.

Jockney Rebel
09-03-2012, 10:30 PM
and i quote http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-15054057
and http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/40000-bikers-ride-in-anti-eu-protest/19115.html

s (http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/40000-bikers-ride-in-anti-eu-protest/19115.html)o i guess protests dont work i was involved in the second[15yrs ago] ride and it worked... if we had sat on our arses and did fuck all youd be restricted to 100bhp
vote with yer feet we buy stuff and contribute to a multi million dollar industry and much as i hate it money talks and bullshit walks

Redmohawk
10-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Who's the best bet to talk to in Vic ? Is there a national group would that not be the best option ?

BANDITROD
10-03-2012, 11:16 AM
i dont realy have anything to add other than life is too short to fuck around with this shit ...i mean how many of you are going to live by there rules anyway ...i feel good breaking at least one law every day

good on your for having a crack though sharky i hope you guys get good results

Jockney Rebel
10-03-2012, 07:37 PM
..i was think more about those to come ..ive seen my rights eroded over the last 30yrs not only on this but other issues ,stealth taxes ,working condition sneakily taken away under the guise of better production ,tree huggers stifling us with more and more "lowest common denominator' safety shit...its out of control ,,to quote a song title ...if you tolerate this ,your children will be next

oldskool
10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Like I said we need like minded people in the top jobs, this happends in Australia but no where near the amount it does in the UK.
Surly its a population thing?

Jockney Rebel
10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
possibly dylan but its all relative ...for instance theres nowhere near as much scooter and small bike degradation there as there is here ....all the time we re divided we re weak and easy meat for the legislators ,, remember THEY work for us not the other way round ...we sometimes forget that

the biggest thing we acheived abroad was convincing the general public that our form of transport is a viable green alternative..sounds wishy washy but it worked in london and reduced the traffic by 21 percent
ok it required a lot of muscle from the mayor and the greenys [not my favourite people ,i dont like bullets either but id use em to defend myself tho..pollies are there to be used ]
remember the greenys here have the casting vote in govt ,thats why we're getting lumbared with a bloody carbon tax [ the labour govt need em, thats the only reason gillard is going ahead with this tax ]...get them on board with stats and your half way there to getting us heard .. in parliment
Also a massive show of force in canberra would shock them into thinking twice ..but of course that would need organisation ..time my friends to accept individual responsibilty and step up for what you believe in
seriously or you could be telling your kids what it was like to ride a 1000cc machine in relative freedom....cos theyll be reduced to 5hp electric bikes .....and ours will be resigned to museums and our memories ...motorcycles will be so expensive to run that the only people able to afford them will also have private aircraft

of course this is just my personal veiw

Redmohawk
10-03-2012, 09:39 PM
I dont think there is anybody twisted enough here on ASF to go into politics , well maybe one ....

Cruisecontrol
11-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Too many chiefs, not enough indians.
People can talk all day about stand up for this and go out and do that but when 400,000 people try an organise something, nothing happens!
As Chris said, someone organised something a whole lot of us showed up at the right place at the right time and something changed because of it. That is how it works.
Whining about your assumed superiority because you are involved in something at some level and berating others to do the same will achieve nothing.

sharky
11-03-2012, 09:25 PM
lol....
My 'level' is no more than anyone else...I'm just trying to bring attention to it...

Anyway, the opinion of someone who would argue black was white just for the sake of it means little to me...

Cruisecontrol
12-03-2012, 05:35 AM
I know! Debates are so last century...
You just keep thinking whatever your club tells you to and you will be fine.

Shadowzone
13-03-2012, 01:43 PM
OK I'm in. As much as I disagree with them I'll hand over me $15. Do i get anything free for it? Like a pen or fridge magnet? Or do I just get to hand over me $$$ and hope they organise something up here In Clownsville too?

sharky
13-03-2012, 05:06 PM
A new committee member was voted in last week and he is based in Townsville
He will be looking to get things going up there.

Dan, I bow to you obviously far superior knowledge of bike clubs......after all Wikipedia is always right....

Cruisecontrol
13-03-2012, 06:02 PM
One thing Wikipedia didn't mention, is narrow-mindedness a prerequisite or do they tell you how to think once you join?

You seem to view things with that bullshit 1%er mentality. I have never alluded to knowing a thing about it but I know for a fact that that I look at things from the other 99%...

Jockney Rebel
14-03-2012, 01:35 AM
bollox

HOS
25-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Baa go the sheep.

Those leg irons are so fashionable you know....

slow rider
26-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Ok I agree that something needs to be done before we all are riding step through's, but do you have to join a club? Can't you just support and show up to protest or even just pay a donation of some sort to help fund the fight. On another note I notice this is reffered to on the forum.(1%ers) What's the meaning behind it? I figured it's got someting to do with bikie gangs.

Chase
27-03-2012, 08:04 AM
It was a term coined back in the late 60's early 70's (or sometime back in the day) that refers to the 1% of bikers who engage in illegal activities. I think (and happy to be corrected if wrong) that it came out from the American Motorcycle Association trying to defend the genereral riding population when they said that 99% of riders were law abiding good citizens. The not so law abiding "clubs" adopted the claim branding themselves 1%ers... Or something like that

sharky
27-03-2012, 10:30 AM
And you do not need to join a club to be a member of QMRA

I am but that is my choice....my views on the proposed legislation have not changed since I did

Redmohawk
27-03-2012, 06:34 PM
If your interested in idle internet gossip, I didnt read the lot but it seems accurate at a glance.

http://lifestylerider.com/html/body_outlaw_clubs_101.html

slow rider
28-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Ok cool atleast I know what everyone is talking about now, thanks for that.

Sharky whens the next meeting?

HOS
28-03-2012, 06:38 PM
This is one of my regular reads, its a neutral site covering clubs in the news media:

http://outlawbiker.co.uk/news.php

You can select news by country at the bottom of the front page.

BillyWhizz888
04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
I have been involved in MC action / protest groups all my life UK & in Oz
I do agree with Hagarrs comments on the single mindedness of individuals in the WA branch of the MRA
However, they have a new president, but still have the control steered by the committee and the man....
I was requested at one point to put my hand up for the presidents role, but turned it down as the puppet strings would have annoyed me
I am still a member, although non attending
they contribute to road safety and have representation on various gov committees so do have half a nod

BUT, ITS NO GOOD MOANING THINGS DONT CHANGE.....
Join, vote and change things that way ;)

HOS
08-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Everyone has got a choice to stand for their beliefs or basic freedom even.
Or people can lie down and take it up the arse if they choose.

In year 2000 in middle England we had a situation where the local government were taking away our right to park our bikes at a waterside area in a popular tourists town where bikes have been parking since before I was born. A fupping long time ago ! :p

We did all the meetings with local politicians and the police and stuff. They just didn't want us there and no amount of talking would change it. We just faced rank prejudice from politicians who lied like fuck about us and what we do. Lies like the constant noise from bike sterio's ???? How we threaten and intimidate people???? Bikers setting of their bike alarms on purpose???? and other lies.

So off our own backs we decided to organise a demo ride into the town on the busiest summer bank holiday weekends. Took months of planning and promoting the demo ride by putting fliers out all the bike meetings in our area. A lot of word of mouth.
We had no idea how much support we would receive tbh.
We had 5 seperate groups riding into town from seperate meeting places on different roads to prevent the police from stopping us if they got wind of it on the day.
My group was over 1000 bikes. The other 4 groups brought at least another 5000 bikes.
We gridlocked the whole of middle England just about.
Maximum impact !

We made our point and we kept our town centre bike parking.
We got followed and filmed by plain clothes police for a few months, but fuck ! it was worth it.

Ever lead a group of 1000 bikes ? Hell of a BUZZ I can tell ya !
:D

Tony Nitrous
08-04-2012, 07:44 AM
I take it your talking about the Riverside Parking ban in Stratford on Avon ?

The week we protested we got there real early and put one bike in
each parking bay in the town, with a LOT of bikes. Nothing illegal
but made a point that was certainly noticed. They didnt seem to
want that repeated too often either.

Jockney Rebel
08-04-2012, 01:02 PM
positive action works and is proven to work .....i dont give a flying f**k what you ride or where your allegiances lie if you wanna carry on riding with relative freedom then stick up for yourselves ..if not..... dont...then you can pay through the nose to ride on tracks because thats the only place itll be allowed "people talk and talk and talk about freedom but when they see a real free person it scares em "

HOS
08-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I take it your talking about the Riverside Parking ban in Stratford on Avon ?

The week we protested we got there real early and put one bike in
each parking bay in the town, with a LOT of bikes. Nothing illegal
but made a point that was certainly noticed. They didnt seem to
want that repeated too often either.

Nahh that wasnt the demo we did. There was no pavement space left with bikes all over the place.
The traffic was gridlocked back to Birmingham and Evesham. The ride in's came from the Waterman, Bassetts, Banbury, Shipston and Long Marston from memory. I did the Long Marston ride in. But the biggest crowd was the Banbury one. We had a laugh that day !
A core of our crowd of bikers organised it and ran it, 7 of us to be precise. Although some tosser who claimed to be the local MAG guy falsely claimed he was involved form the start. MAG couldnt organise a kiddy party in MacDonalds.

We took a lot of heat from the police after that day. But fuck it, you know what Warks pigs are like when it comes to bikes.

HOS
08-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Hey Tony, I'll never forget in one of the council meetings when one of the hateful Tory councillors who was lying her tits off to get us thrown off Waterside turned around and gave me the full hate look without blinking for 5 minutes.
Fucking reppies ! lol She was a pink, two piece suit wearing, Maggie Thatcher clone... yeah I got right up her stuck up nose. Arse !!! :p

Cyril Benis aka Penis got kicked out of the council.
I was giving him some major abuse down Waterside last year.
One of my mates took Benis camera off him and chucked it in the river because Benis was photographing the bikes parking on waterside (still). Benis has no authority but he still hates us. Tosser will not let it go.
Strat police came down and threatened Benis with arrest if he doesnt stop harrassing bikers. :D

slow rider
10-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I notice a flyer at work, there's a ride on at the end of this month is that for this purpose?

sharky
10-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Yes Slowrider....

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp276/sharkster68/2012-04-10151559.jpg

http://www.umcinc.com.au/index.php?mact=CGCalendar,cntnt01,default,0&cntnt01event_id=115&cntnt01display=event&cntnt01detailpage=&cntnt01return_id=74&cntnt01returnid=74

slow rider
11-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Yep I'll come along to this, I'm glad you posted the flyer up because some wanker at work pulled it down. And I wanted to see where the southside met. But looking at it again I could also meet with the western group.

Tony Nitrous
17-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Riders rights.... sort of related story.....

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2012/May/may1612-rider-denied-compensation/