PDA

View Full Version : brake lines and throttle cables.

Haze
28-02-2012, 01:34 PM
when you put dirtbike bars on a sportsbike what do you do about the brake lines and throttle cables? do you get aftermarket ones? I can tell for sure that my brake lines wont reach. Thanks in advance.

Gix11
28-02-2012, 01:41 PM
First up, have you had the tank off to see where the wires are routed? You'll be amazed at how some wiring is routed from the factory. I made up about 200mm by re-routing mine through the frame differently.

If that doesn't work then do yourself a favour and splash out on some new braided lines (for your brake and clutch). Not only will they look loads better and improve your breaking power, they can also be made up to any custom size you want. Contact HEL performance for a good speedy service: http://www.helperformance.com.au/

I (http://www.helperformance.com.au/)f your clutch is cable and not hydraulic, and also for the throttle cable, check your local city for custom made cable makers. Someone on here may give you more precise names etc.

Chase
28-02-2012, 01:51 PM
There's a bloke at Liverpool opposite the RTA (can't think ofthe name now but can dig it up). I got my GSXR ones done there and he put on the braided outters for a bit of bling (I know you love your bling Gitzy). Did a good job and from memory cost me about $70 for the carby cables.

... Think it was this bloke;

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/general-auto-cables/liverpool

Gitzy
28-02-2012, 07:23 PM
I not know of this 'bling' you speak of Chase, I only know of GLITZ :cool:

All great info above from the lads above Haze, another thing to consider with braided lines if you didn't want to figure out the length required to get a custom set made you can 99% of the time get away with the equivalent sports bikes naked counterpart, eg For R1 use FZ1, for CBR900 Fireblade use CB900 Hornet, for ZX9R use Z750 or Z1000 etc etc..

Try and stick with the same manufacturer so you don't have to chase up banjos if they happen to be a different thread pitch.. ie some manufacturers differ from 10 x 1.0 to 10 x 1.25 etc etc, so I wouldn't buy Honda CB900 Hornet lines for a Suzuki GSXR. Comprende?

Another example, I have a 2000 YZF R1 Streetfighter and I purchased some Hel Braided lines to suit a 2005 FZ1N that were on special in the colour I wanted and voila instant extended braided brake lines..

When it comes to your clutch if it happens to be hydraulic you can use same formula I just stated using a naked bike of a particular manufacturer which also has a hydraulic line.. Or if its cable then a great option is to get it made locally like Si said, I agree 100% as I have had this done before for less than it would cost to source a longer OEM Option..

Hope this helps.

ALBI
29-02-2012, 07:12 PM
if you have a cable clutch have a look at bikes in the shops etc ,and look at the cables and see if the ends are simular to urs ,
mine is an TL1000s and i used a GS500 clutch cable,why ?? the end out of the clutch lever on the TL is 90 deg and i needed an 45 deg cable end ,looked at suzuki and spied an gs500,both ends of cable are the same and the steel bend at the bars had the 45 deg bend and was 2 inchs longer !! VOLIA instant factory cable,no mods and if it breaks just goto a wreaker or back to suzuki!!

now throdle cable on the TL1000s they pass to the left of the head stock, so i removed cable ,re-routed to the right and gained 2 inchs .

now the brake lines up here in newy i use CARTERS brake and clutch for all my needs, they custom make braided lines with the different coloured ends, just measure how long they need to be ,and call and order or call urlocal brake joint and shop around to find who does it near you !!!!