PDA

View Full Version : First Fighter, help a newb

danmoore
12-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi Folks,

Well, In my 'howdy' thread, I mentioned I'd be looking to start my first fighter project by the end of December.

I've been looking like mad trying to find a suitable bike to start with, something that will be easily modded, cheapish, and reasonably reliable engine wise.

That leads me to a CBR600F 98-200 maybe - I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to bikes an all, but I was looking for others feedback, especially those who may have modded one of these models.

The first movements for my first project of this kind would be to obviously, remove some of the plastics and set up a suitable head unit for it. then probably move only working on handle bars, then the can, then the tail unit/subframe. Not necessarily in that order but those are the preffered first mods.

Now, the reason i'm coming here is I'm looking for feedback as to whether you think a CBR600F is a good first choice, or if there is something, cheaper, reliable and easier to mod for a first off.

I'm not the most mechanically, electrically, hands on minded person.
I cant wire, I cant weld - however i can learn, and learning is partially why i want to take on such a project.

so yeah, just you opinions on what point i should start at, or any newb to the field should start at to gain the most from their first build.

Cheers,
Dan

badvan
12-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi Dan!

cbr 600 is a nice bike!

Bút i think the better choise would be a cbr 900
An early 900 u can get really cheap, u have a 893ccm engine, u have a nice looking frame (if the plastic is gone).
U can schange to a single sided swingarm very easy! (vfr 750)
u can change to an upside down fork very easy! (sc 44 but i dont like the settup) better would be a USD from a suzuki Hayabusa.

Take a look in the gallery and search for my old CBR or some other cbr 900's

in my opinion theres no better Bike to start "fighting"

danmoore
12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
sounds cool badvan, I'll check it out - When you say early 900, what year are we talking, rough price guide?

badvan
12-11-2007, 11:29 PM
im from germany, here it is a cbr 900 sc 28 starting from 1992
u can get this bikes in germany from 1500 Euro (2400 AUD)
If u want to buy one i can tell all important things about a cbr sc 28 and 33.

Rocket
13-11-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm with Badvan. Those CBR600's have a steel frame that don't look the best when you lift their skirts.
The wreckers constantly have big bore sports bikes because of dickheads throwing them down the road all the time so there's a good line on repairable write offs for reasonable money. But you gotta then get it back on the road and rego'd.
A PSB guy put an early R1 back on the road for $4.5k and he did it pretty quick too.

Talk to Mike at Motorcycles Plus in Kewdale Rd, Kewdale. He's a fighter fan and will help you out, tell him Phill with the turbo GSXR fighter said to talk to him (and then he'll tell you to fuck off).
But seriously, he'll help you find the cheapest way to get something to put together, he's a good guy.

danmoore
13-11-2007, 08:43 AM
ahh fantastic Rocket, I'll be giving them a call today.

In terms of the modding process I was looking at, does that sound like a reasonable place to start, or should i be looking lower?
Obviously it's not all going to happen over night, it will be a slow process, I'll be trying to do as much reading up as possible during the build.

Cheers,
Dan

Slain
13-11-2007, 10:46 AM
go the 900, fightered up a 600 and it was hard to come by fighter style parts for them
900 has much more aftermarket support

Gix11
13-11-2007, 11:24 AM
If it were me, I'd be going the 9 mate. They were fun in their day as well. I had the first ('92) model. This is a whole lot of bike and can be made to look outstanding. The 600 has a shitty looking frame and you'll want to get something bigger before long anyway.

I mean really, check the frames. Is there any comparison?:

600 ('98)

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/26559275105285.jpg

900 (early 90's)

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/502511713102786.jpg

Rocket
13-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Nice front tyre on that blade ^^^^^

Dan I think you have the right plan mate.
Which bit you do first will depend on what bike you pick up, whether it's a wreck or you buy something complete and still on the road.

Gix11
13-11-2007, 12:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rocket

Nice front tyre on that blade ^^^^^

Yea. Fight-machines style. By putting a 300 tyre on the back they decided to balance it out a 160 - 180 on the front would help:

http://www.fight-machines.com/machines/images/Diabelo/05.jpg

FIGHTERMC
13-11-2007, 09:29 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/2656034249603.jpg

This is mine at the mo just to give you an idea

danmoore
13-11-2007, 09:40 PM
thanks for the replies folks, I see what you mean about frame wise, the 900 is much more attractive, even the early 90's to the 98 600.

Rocket, Have you got any idea of a few good local joints (apart from Motorcycles Plus) that would be a good place to start looking.
I didn't get a chance to call MC Plus today, bt I'll give it a shot - Just wondering if you kow of any other wreckers that might have a few nice bikes?

The info on being able to switch to a single sided swing arm appeals to me, not necessarily something I'll be doing right away, but the interest is definitely there.

This all then leads me onto my next question (sorry about throwing so many out), but Following on form what i said before about not being to technically minded (mech, elec, or anything) I can foresee it being a little tedious at first.

How much work electrical work is involved with replacing a standard headlight unit for a newer. smaller unit? I feel my learning abilities are good enough to be able to pick up and problem some quickly enough. But for now I'm rather newb and was wondering if anyone had any good write ups (on headlight replacement, indicator replacement, handle bars etc.) bookmarked, or available that i can read through prior to grabbing a bike.

Rocket
13-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey Dan, MC Plus are pretty much the only guys I talk to for parts.
There's Two Wheel Wreckers in ossie park, I think the guy's name is Russell but I hardly ever go there, they're okay I guess AND open Sundays.

If you buy any sportsbike, you will find a massive loom of wires hidden behind the fairing, you should definately cut that and shorten it up. If it's your first time, you might want to get someone to do it for you.
I don't touch electrical shit unless I've broken down and absolutely have to.
Most guys learn by having a go though.

fimpBIKES
14-11-2007, 09:20 AM
yeah, just do it

most headlights are only 3 or 4 wires and a couple of crimped on spade connectors will get you out of trouble

oh, and if u know someone with an A1 sized plotter get em to print out a nice big wiring diagram and hang it on the shed wall ;)

HueyonaBlade
17-11-2007, 08:32 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5167

How are things M8 , I went with the early Blade only cause like Si (Gix11) I hade one when they first came out in 92 and I loved it then as much as I do now , When I first started I had a million and one questions that were all pretty much answered from here so if you end up with a blade and get stuck some where give us an email and hopefully I will be able to help you out , as for the wiring there is a diagram in my thread or dont actually cut anything away till you have it all mocked up and working then just cut and shorten one wire at a time remember its not a race ;)

danmoore
17-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Brill, thanks Huey - btw your bike is looking tops!
I'll definitely be reading up on the wiring stuff prior to hacking anything off, I'd probably do less damage this way :P

There will most likely be a question or two or ten posted on the forum, but I'll flick you a mail as well when/if i do.

I'm still ringing round trying to find one, so far i haven't been able to locate one. not even one for parts :( so fingers crossed one crops up soon :P

BigTim
17-11-2007, 07:24 PM
You could also hit up ADHDKev (on PSB) for some info if you're going down the 900 route. He has a 900 fighter/stunter (although it might have the 919 engine in it), and he's a pretty full bottle on that bike.

danmoore
18-11-2007, 03:04 PM
good stuff - thanks BT i'll prob flick him a PM at PSB sometime.