PDA

View Full Version : Any livestock farmers ?

HOS
21-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Just a quick heads up for anyone in Aus about a new livestick virus spreading around Europe.
I've got family in France with beef cattle so they are very concerned. The new virus was only spotted a couple of months ago. Its now in the UK too.

Anyway its called Schmallenberg virus and it kills newborns fast ! It causes major birth deformities in sheep, pigs and cows. Its a total unknown virus and so far incurable. So as I've got family in farming, I thought my mates down there would appreciate a heads up on this?

Redmohawk
21-02-2012, 05:03 AM
The Aliens have just come down for there share of cow lips again.

DCRacing
22-02-2012, 09:45 AM

the bastards, you would think anal probing would be enough for them..............lol

on the topic tho, we should be reasonably safe if we can control the unwanted import of various things with the disease, we are in a good situation being so isolated.

HOS
22-02-2012, 05:35 PM
The EU and UK safety organisations believe this new virus is carried in the same way as Blue Tongue virus, which is what nearly wiped my cousins farm out in 2010. This new one has a different problem, becase they switched from dairy cows to beef.

The good thing is Aus is a bloody long way from here and your border controls are pretty good.

HOS
22-02-2012, 05:41 PM

No joke mate, animal mutilations are over here. Some of them are the laser precision ones where blood has been drained just like the US and some of them are down to the "big cats" that are slowly incerasing in numbers in the UK.

We saw a big cat in 2008 in East Anglia, big fucking black cat ran flat out ! across the road between the cars infront of us.

JackTar
22-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I could be wrong HOS (and I'm not having a go here) but I am pretty sure no virus is curable yet.

Redmohawk
22-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah I seen a few "Big cats" hunting in the hills there all dead frozen in my freezer when I need some cash I'm gunna thaw a few n sell my story about the time I shot one out the back of euroa while it was stalking cow .