PDA

View Full Version : Is the nod a thing of the past?

slow rider
17-02-2012, 03:35 AM
Just because I only have been riding again for a few months from a 10 year drought off a roadie. I've notice less fellow motorcyclist nod anymore. Back 10 years a go every rider nodded to each other going in the opposite direction(apart from stoney faced harley riders). But I've been nodding to other bike riders and only get a very few that nod back. Are people just too fucking rude these days or just snobs.:mad:

Iceman
17-02-2012, 05:08 AM
Don't worry your not alone there, over the last few years, I have notice a decline in this area too. I think it's just the direction sociaty is heading. I can remember the days of catching up with friends for a drink and a good old chin wag, but now it's seems to be the done thing to message them on facebook instead. It's sad really, but it would seem human interaction is on the decline.

Hillsy
17-02-2012, 09:38 AM
TOP 10 REASONS WHY HARLEY RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered that fine print in owner’s manual and realized that H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can’t tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on helmet spike.
1. They’re too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

TOP TEN REASONS WHY GOLDWING RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. Wasn’t sure whether other riders was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn’t find the “auto wave back” button on dashboard.

TOP 10 REASONS CROTCHROCKETS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they’re supposed to.
9. They’re going too fast to have enough time to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren’t wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast, they’ll rip it out of the socket.
6. They’re too occupied with trying to get rid of chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don’t want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It’s too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flops back on.

TOP 10 REASONS WHY BMW RIDERS DON’T WAVE BACK:

10. New Aerostitch suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered “bad form”.
8. Your bike isn’t weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day ride on a stock “comfort” seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to Ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. I'm an Iron Butt rider and you’re not!
4. Wires from Gerbings are too short.
3. You’re not riding the “right kind” of BMW.
2. You haven’t been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Gix11
17-02-2012, 11:17 AM
On the weekend ride I'd say 70% of the riders we passed made the effort to nod back out on the road. Around town you'll get nothing, as those fuckers bought the bike to be seen and wouldn't know what riding was anyway.

Slain
17-02-2012, 11:26 AM
out my way the nod is all good. even off harley riders sometimes which shocks me, only reason i can think of is they think they are too old so time to downgrade :)
As soon as i get into brissy or gold coast citys though, i notice the nod isn't a recognised form of communication.

slow rider
17-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I suppose most of the city riders are using their bikes for work purposes and aren't true riders. But why the fuck they need gixers,r1s and blades for work is beyond me.:rolleyes:

yoda
17-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Its all image.. Out on the roads I reckon 70 to 80 pc nod, around town or when I head to the city its bugger all.

The people that have a bike to 'have a bike' like Si said arent real riders anyway and can get fucked if they dont give me a nod or a wave!

Hagarr
17-02-2012, 04:24 PM
This discussion has been brought up previously and us Westerners never did the Nod thing, we were too busy gestulating at every bastard to piss off out the way!

StuNVA
17-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I like giving harley riders (on open road) a really big energetic wave, like you know them.........It often startles them from their cool as fuck image......good value.

K6Thou
17-02-2012, 08:09 PM
In the last week I have had 1 nod from a guy riding an XT yammie.....

Most people seem to just stare.:p

kev@vcm
17-02-2012, 08:20 PM
in sydney here the NOD is about 80% most tractor riders nod , i did some research into the NOD many yrs ago and its interesting as to where it comes from .

The NOD was used as a sign of respect back in the day of knights and dragons and fair maidens ( no not iron maiden) when 2 knights met on the feild of battle they would tip there visor at each other as a sign of respect . im assumeing that has filtered down through the ages , either way its a good story :)

Boxer
17-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Europe is way cooler, they all wave

Sometimes I couldn't wave back though due to the fact I was doing a wheelie :)

Redmohawk
18-02-2012, 07:02 AM
I do a few Km's on Vic highways (not as much as I should of late been in the cage to much) Local country Vic the nod Is about 80% (I nod often) on the highway its higher freeway does limit that a bit. Doesnt seem to be a big difference on type of bike, a few of the local 1%ers nod also (though it could be there just laughing at me real hard)

Weaselman
18-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Ridings gone back to being a fad thing for the cashed up so most people dont have a clue. Though I do notice learners do it.

slow rider
18-02-2012, 10:43 AM
in sydney here the NOD is about 80% most tractor riders nod , i did some research into the NOD many yrs ago and its interesting as to where it comes from .

The NOD was used as a sign of respect back in the day of knights and dragons and fair maidens ( no not iron maiden) when 2 knights met on the feild of battle they would tip there visor at each other as a sign of respect . im assumeing that has filtered down through the ages , either way its a good story :)

That's an interesting bit of fact, I suppose we can all relate to that. But these days there's more knights and dragons not so many fair maidens.:cool:

Tony Nitrous
18-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Europe is way cooler, they all wave

Most/Many lift a hand or fingers off the bars
and give you a low sort of wave.

Helps that you pass on the opposite side so its not your throttle hand !

rod185651
19-02-2012, 07:18 AM
I still nod to all, if they nod back all good, if they don't no big deal.

RevHead
19-02-2012, 08:06 AM
2nd that^^^^^

Cruisecontrol
19-02-2012, 08:46 AM
About half the bikes that pass me in Sydney give me a nod, and that is just on a Postie bike whilst delivering mail.

Harry
23-02-2012, 10:42 AM
the nod is a good thing,i find most do it unless there cruisin in to the sun..even get it off the patch riders unless there's two of them. that would lower the tuff status i guess

Surt
23-02-2012, 07:51 PM
up here we r usually noddin and wavin and beepin but we r back o'the black stomp
ps just ignorin the rubs - reach urban bikers bahaha

playswithnitro
24-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I nod like one of them nodding dogs on the parcel shelf of my dear old grandmother's HD Holden.

Regardless of what bike I'm riding or what bike they're riding, every oncoming rider that gets a nod.

I also say g'day to every rider I pull up beside at the lights.

Always have and always will.

Couldn't give a fuck if it's returned or not.

robmac
24-02-2012, 10:10 AM
I nod like one of them nodding dogs on the parcel shelf of my dear old grandmother's HD Holden.

Regardless of what bike I'm riding or what bike they're riding, every oncoming rider that gets a nod.

I also say g'day to every rider I pull up beside at the lights.

Always have and always will.

Couldn't give a fuck if it's returned or not.

lol can be funny at the lights trying to have a conversation when you both have earplugs in and in my case being half deaf from years of jet engines.