PDA

View Full Version : Who knows what's what with VMAXs ?

TurboKat
16-02-2012, 11:25 AM
My Brother is looking to purchase one of the only 2 decent motorcycles ever built by that Piano making mob (the other, of course is the RD LC)
Does anyone know what the story is with the full power vs knobbled versions? I've been doing some surfing but there seem to be a few conflicting reports.
The one he's interested in is a '95 model, dunno yet if it's Aust. delivered or an import job.
So VMAX experts, spill...

sharky
16-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Full power have the v-boost kicking in at around 4000rpm, fully open at about 8000.
Forget the hype about 145 bhp for the full power...Restricted are around 95bhp...but with huuuge torque...
One mod I believe you can do is set up so the v-boost is on full time....
Supertrapps sound awesome on these...gives them a V8 type gurgle..

Oh and mate......compared to some manufacturers...at least they made some decent bikes ;-)

TurboKat
16-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Some places say the restricted version has no V Boost & you hafta get all the servos, valves, sensors, loom, ECU, etc & others say it's just a re-jet, all I know is that it HAS to be made into a full power job if it isn't already.

I am aware of a UK or maybe French made kit to make the V Boost come in from 2500 RPM but that's assuming the V Boost is already on the bike, if the V.B. is on it then it couldn't be too hard to de-restrict Shirley?

Aftermarket mufflers are an absolute must, the best sounding bike I've ever heard was a VMax with Laser cans - it sounded like a whole field of Sprintcars :cool:

I still love the fact that they did a 9 second 1/4 when they were released in 1986.

I don't think my Bro is going to get to ride it much ;)

sharky
16-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Restricted is no v boost....I have seen in person the aluminium slugs that are fitted in the restricted carbs in place of the vboost

TurboKat
16-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanx mate.

Large
16-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Don't know much about vmax's but I know Suzuki have built a faster (and cheaper) bike every year the vmax's were built

sharky
16-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Does that include the woeful attempt at beating the Vmax with the cough...snigger Madura lmfa

TurboKat
17-02-2012, 01:16 PM
This is the 1985 Yamaha promotional vid for the VMax, it's cool as fuck !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW3uOH4v5FA
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW3uOH4v5FA)Peewee later did a 9.98 sec 1/4 on a stock one which was the record for production M/Cs for many years after, I don't remember what bike went quicker but I know it was Peewee who rode it.
Negotiations on the bike for my Brother are continuing, I found out a bit more about the restriction/full power situation & it seems if it's the knackered version without the VBoost it's an easy job to convert it so it has full power from idle.

sharky
17-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Not that easy mate....most breakers will want a fortune for through bits...electric,butterfly valve,cables etc
In the UK PDQ supplied a Stage 7 kit for the restricted ones.
Boss at the bike shop I worked at (we did a line of max stuff) rode 'full power' and rejected 'restricted' and reckoned the 2nd was better all round bike.....a big torquey monster instead of all or nothing power of the vboost one

TurboKat
17-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Assuming that it's a restricted bike, my Brother will be a bit rusty from not having had a bike for years so probly best if it only makes 95 HP until he gets some seat time under his belt, then we'll look at options later, if it turns out to be a full power chap then he'll just hafta be gentle with his right fist.
Apparently you can just remove the restrictors & the block offs between the inlet ports & then they get full flow all the time, doesn't sound ideal for low down torque or rideability but fuck it, it's a 50 HP top end boost !!
I appreciate what you're saying Russ & it makes sense but being an animal lover I couldn't live with myself if I let those extra 50 horses stay locked up inside the engine, all horses should be able to run free ;)...

sharky
17-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Best bet is to email Larry at PDQ in the UK.....what he doesn't know etc etc

TurboKat
17-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Will do mate, the chick :eek: that's selling it is going to Italy for a few weeks tomorrow so he won't be able to get his hands on it 'til mid March now :(