PDA

View Full Version : bike smashing into 1st gear?????

kiwi kdx
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
hey all i ran my R6 through the gears while on the stands the other day...

so i pull the clutch in try to put it into 1st gear and get a nasty grind between the gears!

finally i shift it really quicklly, it grinds through and goes into gear...

i let the clutch out and all works fine.

same if i try to go straight to second...

my ZXR did this too but no ware near as bad!

i have adjusted the clutch, all the plates are fine and it dissengages fully.

i cant figure out why the gears are spinning so fast in the gearbox when its in neutral???

any ideas fellas?

Deano
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
I would try it on the road before I worry about anything. Maybe be more positive on the changes? Cot h plate could be sticking? Has it always done it or just started. If it hasn't been running in a while I would pull the clutch plates and resoak in oil

kiwi kdx
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
its the first time i have had it running, i have just done an oil change with fully synthetic oil
dossent look like the plates sticking.

i have got it a bit better, put the bike on the stands, adjusted the clutch rite out till it was slipping
and then bought it back untill i could stall the bike with the rear break while under load.

so no more grinding but still a solid thump into gear.

but i think ur rite i need to get it on the road and see how it feels.

Watto
07-02-2012, 07:46 PM
mate I know on my trumpy too tight a chain can cause it to be a bit stiff to change

Hillsy
07-02-2012, 09:01 PM
its the first time i have had it running

That's the problem - it's been sitting for ages and needs a proper run. I'll bet it goes away after a good blat.

BANDITROD
08-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I think you will find it's just cos you have it on stands go for a ride

slow rider
09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah check your chains not too tight, if not it just needs a good ride.

RevHead
09-02-2012, 05:46 PM
i agree with Rod its sitting in the air ,no load on the wheel,, is the wheel free spinning on the stand as your coming down into 1st ,this will give you a crunch as there is no load to slow the gears down remember engine braking !