PDA

View Full Version : GSXR1000 exhuast valve thingy..wotsitdo ?

Rocket
09-11-2007, 02:08 PM
So i'm thinking of an under engine muffler set up for the K1 I'm starting on. But it's got this exhaust valve thingy just near the rider footpeg.
What happens if I remove this ?
Is it for power delivery or just a noise thing ?

Does anyone know what will happen rideability wise if I remove it and run a muffler under the engine ? ie: headers straight into a collector and straight into a muffler ?

I don't want to lose rideability and midrange just to have the exhaust under the engine. If it's going to fuck the fuelling right up and turn it into a pig, I'll just keep the normal zorst system.

Booster
09-11-2007, 02:21 PM
You can remove them , changes power delivery a little , less noticable if properly mapped , Just took the exhaust valve off my R1, actually would have left it there for now but some clown kinked the cables over the exhaust and it don't work anyway.

Large
09-11-2007, 04:16 PM
It's something to do with power delivery in the midrange.

So piss it off and keep the revs above 10000 and you wont notice its missing.

:)

Rocket
09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Sage advice there Large.

Looks like I'm investing in a PC3 then.

Large
09-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Do you need Pazzo levers too?

Rocket
09-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Got some ? Colour and price ?

Large
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rocket

Got some ? Colour and price ?

pm sent

Stocky
10-11-2007, 06:42 AM
It is a muffler. That's all.

I does need a remap if you get rid of it to make MORE power without it.

It simply closes up in the range they are noise tested at to get a big free flowing muffler past noise emmisions.

The STV's in the throttle bodies are the same.

The only thing to watch with your idea is the lenght of the mid pipe.

The GSXR1000 engine likes it's long mid pipe. If you make it too short it'll loose a lot of low end and mid range.

All where a road bike most likes it.

Just make the under engine version as long a path for the exhaust as you can.

Rocket
10-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Cheers guys
Stocky, I had thought about the length of the pipe and what that would do to the power delivery as I don't want to turn it into a dog.
It's the first new gen 1000 I've owned (or ridden) and it's an awesome road bike.
The problem will be keeping as much muffler as I can while still having as much mid pipe as I can as I don't want it too loud, but I could be dreaming.
So I will probably buy a set of headers off a wreck and i can go back to the original set up if it turns out no good.
Looks like a PC3 is going on the list as well then.

Rocket
12-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Large - IOU one very big beer.

Thanks for the advice, your awesomeness is surpassed only by your devlish good looks.