PDA

View Full Version : Another LED indicator question...

K6Thou
29-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Righto lads I've had to fit separate rear indicators to the rear of Chases/Sens gixer for a RWC. It already has a set of front LED's with what I can only assume are the resistors required for them to work, so I wired the rears in and they worked.... The problem is now they don't and neither do the front ones..... The only thing I can come up with is that the flasher unit has shit itself somehow ????

Any other ideas ??

Dan.

Redmohawk
29-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Stay (on) or (off) all the time ? If its on prob need another set of resistors to counter the lack of bulbs (but unlikely) they usally still flash just at a different rate. Or just get an electronic flasher can.

K6Thou
29-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Off mate, They worked for the afternoon 2 days ago, I snuck down stairs to refit the seat and tail this arvo, double checked they worked before I fitted every back up and nothing....

Chase
29-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Have you tried unplugging either front or back to see if one will work without the other? Are the ones you put on bulb or LED?

From memory the flasher is a specific LED version which meant the indicators didn't need resistors. If you replaced with bulbs you may be pulling too much current and killed the flasher.

K6Thou
29-01-2012, 07:21 PM
The rears I fitted were LEDs Chase.
Did you fit the Rizoma front indicators mate ? The Rizomas have a heat shrunk ummmm they plug into which then connects to the loom.... It all worked sweet when I got the bike but the fuckers up here won't pass the intergrated tail light hence me fitting the rears.

Chase
29-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I fitted the rizoma's, flick me your addy and I'll post you a set of rizoma resistors you can add in to see if that sorts the problem. I would be inclined to get another flasher it's probably the cause.

K6Thou
29-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks mate I'll try the new flasher first. If I have no luck I'll be in touch.

Chase
29-01-2012, 07:32 PM
No worries, you've checked all the fuses I guess??

K6Thou
29-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah, Electrics aren't really my strong point, but this one sort of had me stumped. I really didn't think a flasher could die overnight....

Any idea wether the flasher unit is a 3 pin unit Chase ?

Watto
30-01-2012, 03:12 PM
LED's might be polarity sensitive - I got caught with that last week - try swapping the wires around

Redmohawk
30-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Leds are polarity sensitive but he said it worked earlyer , so the setup was right.

K6Thou
30-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Strangely enough I had one last look at it last night and with the earth to the rears disconnected the fronts worked !! I so I re connected the earth for the rears and nothing again FUCK !!!! Disconnected the earth to the rears again and nothing !!

Redmohawk
30-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Try loading the led rears up with a normal globe in parallel with a rear globe, if it flashes you need resisitors. If the leds were mounted back to front (black to pos red to earth) then they just wont work (shouldnt effect the rest of the circuit)

K6Thou
30-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I wired them in from the intergrated tail wires, found left and right with a test light etc and just earthed to the chassis. It worked I'm just having trouble figuring out why they stopped working. I haven't got a new flasher unit yet.....

Redmohawk
30-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Is the part of chassie you used a good earth ? paint ? Eratic earth possably ?

K6Thou
30-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Is the part of chassie you used a good earth ? paint ? Eratic earth possably ?

I thought it was pretty good, but I'll double check it. Haven't really come across an eratic earth before......

Redmohawk
31-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Its flat you know, dont get to close to the edge you'll fall off "There be dragons there !"

K6Thou
31-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Its flat you know, dont get to close to the edge you'll fall off "There be dragons there !"

lol

K6Thou
11-02-2012, 01:54 PM
You were right Red. It turned out to be the earth from the aftermarket flasher relay had worked itself loose. So its all about to be sorted. Just have to re-wrap the harness that I stripped looking for broken wires......:rolleyes:

Redmohawk
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Told you, see any Dragons ?