PDA

View Full Version : Modifing standard cans

slow rider
28-01-2012, 10:43 AM
There used to be a bloke around slacks creek that could turn your standard can into a performance one, and it was a lot cheaper then buying one. Just wondering if anybody know if he is still around or is there some other place that dose it. I want to get it done for the MT as when you go aftermarket ones, the heat sheild won't go back on. And as I want to keep it dual rego, I need the heat sheilds on.

sharky
28-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Big steel bar with a spike on the end....and a hammer :cool:

HellRaiser
28-01-2012, 02:38 PM
you need a grinder, a TIG and bout 1m of perforated pippe + exhaust repack

Cut the ends off, remove all the shit from inside then you tack weld one of the ends to the perforated pipe.

Fit all back together and fully weld the caps to the main body.

I went as far as polishing the cans when I did on my monster, sounded just like the termis, felt faster too but haven't tested on dino to be sure there was power gain or just noise, will soon enough to this to a mates XT660X .... it is a fairly easy job

http://i.imgur.com/7s1Vt.jpg (http://imgur.com/7s1Vt)

slow rider
28-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Yeah I know you can modify yourself done a few dirt bike ones. I have a mig but not a tig so I think I'll leave this one alone. I was just seeing if the bloke was still around as he did promise performance gains. Nice looking ducati, always liked the look of the monsters.

sharky
28-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Depending on your skill level and tools available it's easy ad or a nightmare
Think before.you cut....Are you upto the job ?
Too easy to wreck a pair of mufflers

slow rider
28-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Shit you could have told me before I went and got a star picket and a sleggie.:p

ozzy1100
28-01-2012, 04:28 PM
the bloke u thinking of is opp auto barn on moss street on the top side in the side road
did one of mine yrs ago very happy

MTBEERWAH
28-01-2012, 07:27 PM
it`s a shame its not riveted on, i did my bandit 5 year ago(while experimenting),and was lucky as thats how mine was. i didn`t make mine straight through, i pulled it apart and made it the same diameter pipe all the way through, so it still went through both chambers to keep it queit, it worked well by freeing up top,but left a hole in mid range and needed rejetting.

slow rider
28-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Cool thanks Ozzy he used to be a few streets over from moss st, but yeah I remember he dose good work and reasonable prices. Not really looking for that much performance just mainly a bit more sound, suppose being a bit of a poser. But just love the MT to rumble like a V8.

HellRaiser
28-01-2012, 08:58 PM
MT1 with nice pipes is awesome .... definitely go for it