PDA

View Full Version : Ape big bore kit's

Harry
27-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Hi people,could anyone advise me on the way to go with big bore kit's
iv been playing with the idea of kitting my bandit out and with a google search it keep's coming up with piston's cam's and all the shit in a kit but cant find complete kit's needed to do the job with one purchase,and befor i say im going to i really need to know how much money it's going to cost me to do.
another thing is will i be able to ride the bike around and still have it reliable ? A blower would be the way to go but the police interest is not what i need having belts ect hanging out for the world to see.

Does anyone have a ape site up there sleve they can pass on with price's and kit size's,

experaince with the kit's in term's of being reliable, i still want to be able to cruise around with out the thing cooking ect........

Watto
27-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Try here mate - go down to the bandit section

http://gsxrzone.com/pistons.html#anchor537770

Harry
27-01-2012, 07:27 PM
thank's heap's watto.........

Booster
29-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Harry
Get in contact with Dustin, in the contact link off the gsxr zone page
tell him what you want , i'm sure he could put a package together , or recommend where to get the bits he can't supply .

Harry
01-02-2012, 08:48 AM
cheer's mate,im going to have to find out shit from someone...im not in the know.

Harry
01-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Harry
Get in contact with Dustin, in the contact link off the gsxr zone page
tell him what you want , i'm sure he could put a package together , or recommend where to get the bits he can't supply . just sent them an email on a price for a complete ape 1340 kit.....be interesting to see what come's back. cheer's for the advice mate.

Dynomutt
02-02-2012, 08:49 AM
1340cc will work ok on the road, however a head cooler and an aftermarket main cooler kit is pretty much a given, as the 1340 runs much hotter, you'll need some Good quality H beam rods such as Carrillo or Arrow, you'll need the upper carnkcases opening up to accept the larger sleeves. TO gte the best from the package you should go with oversize valves and a good porting job, and a set of either Mikuni RS40 or TMR40, or Keihin FCR41.

Depending on what you want a 1216cc motor may be a better option, with a set of RS/TMR36 or RS/TMR38.
I've just built a 1216cc motor using busa pistons, in a decked block with a DOT head and cams which was skimmed by 30 thou, RS38 flatslides, Cobra pipe with stubby Akra can. I decked the block to give a zero deck with no gaskets, then fitted one base gasket and a Wiseco MLS head gasket giving a squish of 0.95mm. The 750J/K head gave a C/R of 9.5 to 1, and power of 142bhp with 87lb/ft. The head has now been skimmed to give 11-1 C/R, and the cams dialled in on slotted sprockets, and I'll hopefully be dynoing it tomorrow. Plugs were changed from DPR to non protruded nose plugs to gain clearance over the piston, power should be over 150bhp and over 90lb/ft of torque once I've set it up on my dyno. It is a pretty cost effective conversion, and makes a really good street motor.

fimpBIKES
02-02-2012, 10:58 PM
out of interest how much were the bits for that 1216?

Dynomutt
05-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Not that expensive, the whole point was to do it as a cheaper alternative to a Wiseco conversion
Busa pistons £100
Rebore/deck £150
Head skim £50
DOT head £100
DOT cams £50
Gaskets £80
Circlips £10
This was the basic cost of the parts for the Motor, My mate already had a set of RS38, Dyna2000, Cobra system.
Obviously there were labour costs involved, I slotted the original cam sprockets, a manual camchain tensioner came off another engine that I'd broken.

I did have all the valve seats recut and the valves refaced and fitted genuine Suzuki stem seals on the DOT which added to the cost by another £180.

It was mainly built to see whether 'Busa pistons could be used in a naturally aspirated application or not, as a cheaper alternative to using Wiseco/JE etc aftermarket pistons.
I will be tweaking the cam timing over the next few days to see if I can reach the 150bhp target or not.