PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Read This - CARBON TAX?

Supercharger_Mark
26-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Gillard the fool - or is it something more sinister?

First we had the lie of no carbon tax. So who put the screws on her to stubbornly change her mind. First I should clarify, my name is Terence Cardwell. I spent 25 years in the Electricity Commission of NSW working, commissioning and operating the various power units. My last was the 4 X 350 MW Munmorah Power Stations near Newcastle . I would be pleased to supply you any information you may require.

I have sat by for a number of years frustrated at the rubbish being put forth about carbon dioxide emissions, thermal coal fired power stations and renewable energy and the ridiculous Emissions Trading scheme.

Frustration at the lies told (particularly during the election) about global pollution. Using Power Station cooling towers for an example. The condensation coming from those cooling towers is as pure as that that comes out of any kettle.

Frustration about the so-called incorrectly named man-made 'carbon emissions' which of course is Carbon Dioxide emissions and what it is supposedly doing to our planet

Frustration about the lies told about renewable energy and the deliberate distortion of renewable energy and its ability to replace fossil fuel energy generation. And frustration at the ridiculous carbon credit programme which is beyond comprehension.

And further frustration at some members of the public who have not got a clue about thermal Power Stations or Renewable Energy. Quoting ridiculous figures about something they clearly have little or no knowledge of.

First coal fired power stations do NOT send 60 to 70% of the energy up the chimney. The boilers of modern power station are 96% efficient and the exhaust heat is captured by the economisers and reheaters that heat the air and water before entering the boilers.

The very slight amount exiting the stack is moist as in condensation and CO2. There is virtually no fly ash because this is removed by the precipitators or bagging plant that are 99.98% efficient. The 4% lost is heat through boiler wall convection.

Coal-fired Power Stations are highly efficient with very little heat loss and can generate a massive amount of energy for our needs. They can generate power at efficiency of less than 10,000 b.t.u. per kilowatt and cost-wise that is very low.

The percentage cost of mining and freight is very low. The total cost of fuel is 8% of total generation cost and does NOT constitute a major production cost.

As for being laughed out of the country, China is building multitudes of coal-fired power stations because they are the most efficient for bulk power generation.

We have, like, the USA , coal-fired power stations because we HAVE the raw materials and are VERY fortunate to have them. Believe me no one is laughing at Australia - exactly the reverse, they are very envious of our raw materials and independence.

The major percentage of power in Europe and U.K. is nuclear because they don't have the coal supply for the future.

Yes it would be very nice to have clean, quiet, cheap energy in bulk supply. Everyone agrees that it would be ideal. You don't have to be a genius to work that out. But there is only one problem---It doesn't exist

Yes - there are wind and solar generators being built all over the world but they only add a small amount to the overall power demand.

The maximum size wind generator is 3 Megawatts, which can rarely be attained on a continuous basis because it requires substantial forces of wind. And for the same reason only generate when there is sufficient wind to drive them. This of course depends where they are located but usually they only run for 45% -65% of the time, mostly well below maximum capacity. They cannot be relied on for a 'base load 'because they are too variable. And they certainly could not be used for load control.

The peak load demand for electricity in Australia is approximately 50,000 Megawatts and only small part of this comes from the Snowy Hydro Electric System (the ultimate power Generation) because it is only available when water is there from snow melt or rain. And yes, they can pump it back but it costs to do that. (Long Story).

Tasmania is very fortunate in that they have mostly hydro-electric generation because of their high amounts of snow and rainfall. They also have wind generators (located in the roaring forties) but that is only a small amount of total power generated.

Based on an average generating output of 1.5 megawatts (of unreliable power) you would require over 33,300 wind generators.

As for solar power generation much research has been done over the decades and there are two types.

Solar thermal generation and Solar Electric generation but in each case they cannot generate large amounts of electricity.

Any clean, cheap energy is obviously welcomed but they would NEVER have the capability of replacing Thermal Power Generation. So get your heads out of the clouds, do some basic mathematics and look at the facts, - not going off with the fairies (or some would say the extreme greenies.)

We are all greenies in one form or another and care very much about our planet. The difference is most of us are realistic. Not in some idyllic utopia where everything can be made perfect by standing around holding a banner and being a general pain in the backside.

Here are some facts that will show how ridiculous this financial madness is that the government is following. Do the simple maths and see for yourselves.

According to the 'believers' the CO2 in air has risen from .034% to .038% in air over the last 50 years.

To put the percentage of Carbon Dioxide in air in a clearer perspective;

If you had a room 3.7 x 3.7 x 2.1 metres the area carbon dioxide would occupy in that room would be .25 x .25 x .17m or the size of a large packet of cereal.

Australia emits 1% of the world's total carbon Dioxide and the government wants to reduce this by 20%t or reduce emissions by 0.2 % of the world's total CO2 emissions.

What effect will this have on existing CO2 levels?

By their own figures they state the CO2 in air has risen from .034% to .038% in 50 years.

Assuming this is correct, the world CO2 has increased in 50 years by...004%.

Per year that is .004 divided by 50 = ...00008%. (Getting confusing -but stay with me).

Of that because we only contribute 1% our emissions would cause CO2 to rise .00008 divided by 100 =..0000008%.

Of that 1%, we supposedly emit, the governments wants to reduce it by 20% which is 1/5th of .0000008 =..00000016% effect per year they would have on the world CO2 emissions based on their own figures.

That would equate to an area in the same room, as the size of a small pin.

For that they have gone crazy with the ridiculous trading schemes, Solar and Roofing Installations, Clean Coal Technology Renewable Energy, etc, etc.

How ridiculous it that?

The cost to the general public and industry will be enormous. Cripple and even closing some smaller businesses.

T.L. Cardwell

Mr Hyosung
26-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Your getting a bit political in your old age mate. Are you worried that they're going to make you put a catalytic converter on Brutus.

Redmohawk
26-01-2012, 12:55 PM
All well and good , and I aggree that coal is the current smart move , but what happens when there isnt any coal left ? hmmm ???

Even if we have reserves for another 200 years at current groath what happens then ? The carbon tax might be the biggest wank since roswell but how do we motivate people to reduce there ever increasing demand for power ? Making it cost you alot more to waste electricty is the ONLY way to reduce this. Otherwise people will just continue to expand there ever increasing consumerisim. I meen do you really need that 60 inch plasma that works as a heater as well as a tv ? Then you need a big split system air con to be comfortable watching said tv as the room is to fucking hot in summer.

A well setup solar system mounted on the right house exports solar power every day including winter, how is this ineffective ? Govenment rebates may be costly but so is ripping up large tracts of victoria and NSW for open cut coal mining wouldnt you say?

ALBI
26-01-2012, 05:44 PM
having worked as a sub-contractor to the coal feilds in the hunter valley for 2 years,you realise how much money realy is in coal .
dirty ,yes

over mined YES

consuming the hunter in a very quick rate ,fuck YES

it was the coal industry that keept our great bloody home AUSTRALIA alive during the GFC and not that ugly red head goolia julia.

when i used to drive every day to drayton coal in musswellbrooke id go past a section opf rod and you couldnt see ASHTON coal!!

now 2 yrs later they had cut half the road to place an new driveway and the coal seam is right there and surrounding homes goneeeeeeeeeeeee

,lets dig the coal but also use some off money to fund a new energy!!

StuNVA
26-01-2012, 06:51 PM
There are a few things at play here.

Firstly the GST, it's a percentage based revenue source, the higher prices are for necessary products the higher the rate of GST collected.

Coal is cheap to produce, new power stations are not, dig it up and sell it, not use it in the ailing power plants and tax the entity that does so is the current political thought pattern. Personally I'd rather see a compulsory alternative energy research and development tax break for large mining companies as part of the new mining taxes, at least they will have to invest in our future. A tax simply feeds back into government revenue to be spent any way they see fit.

By increasing the cost of coal power they price in alternative energy transferring the cost of construction or repair to old coal power stations to the general consumer (remember the GST), in other words general consumers are made to build their own power generation plants while the government ditches the old plants and does not build new ones, at the same time not reducing my taxes. This reduced state expenditure, off loads risk to private entities and looks politically very good to the ... greener... amoungst us.

Carbon trading scheme, what a fucking joke. I watch commodities get traded around the world every day, grain, at least you can go up to a silo and tap the side or weigh a boat or see a stack. Even so this market is heavily manipulated by the fund managers and their trillions as they push and pull markets all over the world for a quick buck. Now give them the ability to trade a non measurable commodity and see what they do, the laws of supply and demand dictate a price to a known commodity, who will tell the world what the CO2 level is, how the fuck are you supposed to work out supply and demand..... The cost impact will be offset by credits to the populous that will be funded by the payers in the scheme for the first year or until it is opened up to the world (Al Gore Limited), where the fuck do you think the companies will buy their carbon credits then, from ...oh I don't know.......China, so how will the gov collect money to pay for the additional cost to Australian citizens then.....this scheme is a economic train wreck looking for somewhere to crash and burn.

I'm sick of global politics, Australian included, trying to take the money from those who work and giving it to those who do not. This whole carbon debacle should have died it's natural death after Copenhagen but this useless bunch of fuckwits in Canberra are so tied up with the greens that they don't understand how hard the rest of the developed world is laughing at them. You can't tax a country into prosperity, those who supply the taxable income soon tie of it. If the developed world want the third world to leapfrog the oil phase of development they should do it by educating those countries, not by giving them hard earned cash from their own citizens and struggling businesses, if they don't want the help via education they can fuck off back to hut burning cow shit for fuel. In the 80's heaps of farmers went over to the FSU to teach Soviet farmers how to farm and produce more grain, they learnt and are now producing heaps, in fact they have grown to be one of the worlds biggest exporters of wheat. Education is the key to helping 3rd world countries, they have proven time and time again they squander government aid in the form of cash or loans.

I think that's the biggest post I've ever written on any forum .... fark

ozzy1100
26-01-2012, 07:02 PM
in my humble opp the gov is fucked in the head for the way they went about sell this to us and got caurt up withthe its for climite change lets do good deal
i know this carbon tax will fuck us over and people are going to get their noce out of joint over it and i think maybe the mechionise could be better but i think that has had a lot of debate
but bottom line is like red said we cant keep just digging it out the ground and the only way things will change is if things cost us
what this is all about is changeing the way our money system works and its not some thing that will pay divs in the next 50 yrs but 100 to 200 yrs and i dont care if people say y should we if no one else is (tho they are) because if we lead the world it makes the way things have to become in that time putting us in a much stronger state.
like i said im not into the debate over how it should be done, but forget warming and just think of the fack that carbon is the base of all money systems thro out the world and carbon is on its way out, not now but ur mad to think that in futrue it will stay the same.so i think that tring to change the way we do things is such a bad idea and it will take a fucking long time to work and get right but sooner or later we have to start and while we are in such a good pos with our resource boom it do make seance that we start now for our kids kids and their kids. its australia day and one thing i think we as aussy have allways done is do what has to be done.

Redmohawk
26-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Working people work , people with power and money manipulate pollies to keep themselves at the top. Till people at the bottom rise up and kill the people (they think run the show) then fill there places with others and the cycle continues. Look at any civilisation and it goes on , and will continue as people as a whole are greedy.

The ones with little want more, the ones with more want lots , and the ones with lots want it all. Some but few are happy with enough to survive , Me I think I'll stop at 20 bikes :)

We have had the tech to keep everybody happy fed and entertained in this world for about 150 years (and over the last 50 very comfy) yet people still die here in Aus from basic needs not being met properly. And its not going to improve no matter what happens , its in our nature to fuck shit up. Education and a relaxation of some really fucked up rules would help but theres no cash in that for the ones in charge.