PDA

View Full Version : Engineers certificates in SE Qld

drewoz
25-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Hello to every one,

First post in an i need some advice..im fairly new to queensland having moved from victoria an previously from overseas so im finding out the hard way about the TMR rules an regs..there a bitch.

Ive got a cbr900 that ive fightered and ive hit some trouble with the compliancing thing over here, basicaly ive substituted the swing arm for a single sider off a vfr and ive shortened the subframe to fit a single seat unit off the 1000rr (did both these mods overseas where the scene is massive and the government actualy lets you do things without hassle and then brought the bike with me as a personal import).
Now when i am coming to compliance mod time the people i asked to do it said no way mate, your gonna need an engineers certificate first before anyone will touch it for compliancing....hmm perhaps my research overseas wasnt good enough me thinks!

Now ive searched the internet and can i find an engineer on the sunny coast, can i f##k. Can anyone help,anyone know of any.

Does anyone know of any in or near brissie even..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

fimpBIKES
25-01-2012, 11:40 AM
hi
what yr is the cbr?
suprised the checker realised it has diff fairings etc

xa-mont
25-01-2012, 11:47 AM
your bike would be the perdy one with the polished frame on Ebay for the stellar price i would be guessing?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1996-HONDA-CBR900-FIREBLADE-UNFINISHED-PROJECT-MASSIVE-PRICE-DROP-/190630238591?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item2c6272997f#ht_3072wt_1189

Hillsy
25-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Try Shaun at Pommy Choppers - he used to post on here a while back:

http://www.pommychoppers.com/

They're up the Sunny Coast way.

drewoz
25-01-2012, 02:27 PM
yep bingo! mines the perdy one at the stella price, should be realy nice when its finished..just dont have the money to do it myself anymore so im just tryin to get all the info together as ive got a couple of realy interested buyers at the moment and dont wanna give them any nasty shocks...

cheers for the heads up on poomy choppers Hillsy your a star, I dropped Shaun a line and he got back to me almost before the email had gone..top bloke he helped me out no end..basically as the mods were done overseas before it got here i dont need to have it engineered at all..not for any of it, just complianced and hes given me the details of a guy who can do it for me.

So hopefully i will be able to sell it easier.

fimpBIKES
25-01-2012, 04:58 PM
been watching your bike on ebay for a while drew
could you please start a build-thread and upload as many pics as possible?

it looks very nice indeed

Tony Nitrous
25-01-2012, 06:27 PM
What's a 15 year old Fireblade frame worth ?

Wouldnt you just buy a complianced, non-insurance listed frame,
polish it up, swap everything over, then sell the UK frame off as
a "track day" only frame to get a few $$'s back ?

....or is it not that simple ?

K6Thou
25-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Is it possible the engine number could be outside the range of numbers that were bought into Australia and therefore easily recognised as non complying ?????

drewoz
26-01-2012, 10:26 PM

Wouldnt be that simple would it, Shaun at Pommy choppers told me that if the mods had of been done over here then it would definatly need an engineers cert to pass ADR compliance because of frame mods...so unless you could find a second hand frame that wasnt on any insurance registers and had a blue plate already for frame mods with engineers certificate attached it would get a little tricky when you took it for registration. Its all very well to get a complianced already one but if anyone checked..as in coppers..it would need to be recorded as the correct thing surely.
I recon im best off compliancing it as overseas mod'ed as it sounds like less hassle but i will look into the whole second hand frame thing though as its still a good idea. Im gonna speak to the fella Shauns given me detail for and see what he says first. Let you know!
Anyway ive hopefully got a buyer now from NSW who wants me to finish it off for him, get it complianced etc with him paying. Trying to work out a deal, its good for me as it means i will get to see the old girl through to the end after all.
As for build thread, ive only at the moment got the pics that are on ebay. I will take a load more when i get time and post them up for you all to see. If this deal goes through i will do one to completion, turns out hes an airbrush artist as well so it could get quite tasty if its done right.

evad
27-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Cant you bring it in as a personal import?
My z650 was imported as that and I think that you had to have owned the vehicle for a while, I needed to get an engineers inspection but all he was really interested in is that the lights were right (from a country that drovr on the same side of the road and not a great deal else, then I sent his certificate to canberra and they sent me a personal import plate. Took a while but wasnt difficult.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/personal_imports.aspx (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/personal_imports.aspx)

drewoz
27-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah thats basicaly what im going to do now..now that ive managed to cut through the bullshit that compliance shops give you up here. The issue was whether it would be acceptable to comply with ADR's, compliance businesses up here dont even seem to know their own laws,even after you explain the bikes a personal import..afraid to touch it for some reason. Still ive got someone now so i will keep you posted.

Harry
01-02-2012, 08:22 PM
welcome to the over govern'ed, over taxed, over police'd' over paid bastard pollie's place that is Australia.....
a beautiful land that is run by over taxing money grabbing control freak's...........YOU WILL CONFORM ! Hahaha

Don't think so mister man........