PDA

View Full Version : Me trailer

revken
04-01-2012, 07:28 PM
here's a pic of my single wheeled trailer. It's not the sexiest thing around, but it's neat and works well. I've since swapped the HUGE number plate for a smaller one with a bike tail light. Built by OZ KARTS in Melbourne. Pics taken on the run to the Fish Holes Rally in November. Trailers first test, 1100kms and it towed well, very happy with it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/revken/038.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/revken/045.jpg

BANDITROD
04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
how noticable is it when riding Ken

revken
04-01-2012, 08:09 PM
bike is a bit slower to tip in, and you need to use more effort to steer it, which is probably a consequence of the added unsprung weight. But it also makes it more stable in a side wind. took it up to about 145 overtaking and it was fine, sat there nice. It was only on the dirt road going into the rally that it had trouble, on corrugations, and probably because the mountain bike shock isn't damped. Having the load space was awesome. I ended up with some of my friends gear on top of the trailer, as he has a Benelli TNT which is hopeless for putting luggage on. Its a bugger to reverse though until you get used to it.

BANDITROD
04-01-2012, 08:24 PM
fair enough it would be great for touring then

revken
04-01-2012, 08:34 PM
yep, handy, means you don't need a huge rack on the bike too. Only mod to the bike was fitting trailer plug. it connects through the hollow axle. Nice and simple.

BANDITROD
04-01-2012, 08:39 PM
cool

Redmohawk
04-01-2012, 08:41 PM
A bloke I know in shep (Jason) made something similar a few years back H frame (like a ladder frame) towed it behind a busa to GP at the island a few years running. No suspention just ran a 10 inch pitbike rim with a road rated tyre with about 25 psi was a bit shorter than yours and used a small uni joint similar to a landrover steering unit. Fitted to tail from mounts under grab rails for pilion. Tip in ride was just like it wasnt there with about 30 kg of shit in a box slightly bigger than yours.

With me as pilion and 30kg of shit we did $1.60 for enough time to realise that it didnt need messing with worked great tyre has done at least 1000 km when I saw it last looked new still.