PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/SV650

IndecentExposure
31-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Hi all,

My name is Dan and I'm a 21 year old who has just stacked his bike and is in the process of turning his once stock machine into a balls out fighter.

Well, that's the plan anyways. I've always loved the look of a sportsbike turned into a mean fighter.

This being my first project I am VERY excited to see how it comes out. I only have to replace one fork tube and the rest is cosmetic.

My tank and a few other bits have scuffs on them so all my painted bits and pieces have been sent away the gay k9 SV blue and coming back ducoat super gloss black.

With my bike incapacitated and sitting on two boot style car jacks in the garage, it has given me alot of time to look around and see what exactly can be done to my bike to make it different and to make it mine. Which brings me to another point as to why I love fighters so much. No two are the same and it makes your bike yours, sort of like self expression in art, except a fuck load more fun.

So far since I went through a barbed wire fence I have sent my bits off for paint, ordered a fender eliminator with tiny turn signals from the UK, along with some 45mm dogbone raisers for the rear and put a short stubby GP style dump pipe exhaust in place of the massive mower sounding cannon that comes standard.

I'll be sending my forks, along with my new tube to replace the bent one, down to MPE in Caloundra, QLD. I will be getting them serviced and then throwing the front end back together so I can have my bike back on it's race stand and start thinking about what front end I should run. I'm thinking of using a headlight assembly that has a slight panel above it of somesort as I will be mounting my standard dash/speedo in their somewhere...somehow.

I am not going to replace the front end with that of a GSXR, I know some may suggest it, highly recommend it, whatever. Quite frankly, my opinion is that there is no point going to all the mucking around to convert the front end to suit when I can just buy a sportsbike. It's an SV, not a GSXR. I will get a GSXR1000 one day. But in the mean time I'm fine riding my shitbox SV, because it's my first bike and I won't be outriding it anytime soon.

Well that's my story into how I got into fighers, where I am now and how excited I am too see how it comes out.

I'll post some pics to show the damage and certain mods on the way.

I'm Dan and I can't wait to get to know some people who are as passionate about these things as I am.

Thanks. :D

BANDITROD
31-12-2011, 04:29 PM
welcome aboard mate go and have a look at xa-monts sv build his is a nice jigger

Tony Nitrous
31-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Welcome Dan.

2 pages of SV's here.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/showthread.php?9971-Suzuki-SV-650-1000

Several members on here have (or have had) SV's.

Tony.J.

K6Thou
31-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Welcome along Dan.

Cheers,

Dan.

Bob
31-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Welcome mate, SV make a nice fighter.

ALBI
31-12-2011, 05:44 PM
welcome an SV huh ur half way to a TL mate keep going ;)

Jinx
01-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Welcome to the psycho ward Dan. Plenty of great info on this site.

IndecentExposure
04-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks guys,

Will definetley check out the suggested SV inspiration. I hope to have it all completely back together in less than 2 months.

The TL, I liked the S but not the R. I knew a guy with an R and always asked him how his Harley with fairings was going. ;)

Fight_fan
04-01-2012, 04:13 PM
What an awesome intro! Why cant more new guys be like you. Well done mate! Welcome to the madness!

xa-mont
04-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Welcome mate.

The SV is a good thing... I have one... that might be written off... who the fuck knows :P

Here's a pic of mine.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/xacoupe/My%20SV650/IMAG0079.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/xacoupe/My%20SV650/IMAG0080.jpg

I would suggest you get yourself a different rear shock (like a ZX10 one or something) cause they are a lot better than the stock piece of crap and not to spensive.

As for the front suspension, if you are going to spend money on it at all, get a gix front end (there isn't a lot of fuck around), otherwise leave it stock and deal with its supreme shitness.

LKC73
04-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Welcome Dan,
It sure sounds like a good start on fightering your SV, and to be honest, as a first bike it isnt as much of a shitbox as you may think. You could be on alot worse bikes than that mate. If I had to start over again, it would be my pick of the bunch.

IndecentExposure
06-01-2012, 07:16 PM
What an awesome intro! Why cant more new guys be like you. Well done mate! Welcome to the madness!

Thanks heaps. I hope not to be burden here. With too many questions and what not. Seems like a great bunch of guys. Sadly I'm still without internet at home and are left with scabbing the wireless at my girlfriends house.

That SV is so nice, Gixxa front ends look the business. I'm a poor arse apprentice living out of home and only new to riding roadbikes.

I spose I could have started on a Virago or something...now that would be shameful. ;)

Thanks again guys, will upload pics once it is all together and sitting pretty. :cool:

RevHead
06-01-2012, 07:32 PM
welcome aboard Dan

IndecentExposure
06-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks Pete. ;)

hooligan
07-01-2012, 10:29 AM
I spose I could have started on a Virago or something...now that would be shameful. ;)

fuck you, i started on a virago..
welcome aboard, mate. I wish my first bike was an SV. Much less embarrassing.

LKC73
08-01-2012, 09:29 PM
fuck you, i started on a virago..
welcome aboard, mate. I wish my first bike was an SV. Much less embarrassing.

You had to start somewhere hooligan.... though I wouldnt have admitted to a Viragay... :p

hooligan
09-01-2012, 08:54 AM
It took about a month before i realised what a stupid choice it was. But as i was 6 foot as a 16 year old, i didn't really fit on a cbr 250. Now lets stop talking about my poor choices as a teenager.

DCRacing
10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Welcome, lots of stuff on here some good some great, some ex-virago riders...........really says it all :D

IndecentExposure
18-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Haha, thanks guys.

I really want to get one of those AUSFR window stickers for my Mazda 121. ;) Anyone know when they will be in stock again?