PDA

View Full Version : vibration

The crow
05-11-2007, 09:16 AM
hi everyone i'm new to all this and im hopeingyou can assist me with a small prob. I have a 96 bandit s1200 and can't get rid of all the vibration in the handlebars left side is ok but the right side still hurts and yes i do have decent weights on. Any help would be great thx[:p]

Large
05-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi and welcome TC.

Does it vibrate when standing still? or only when rolling?...or both?

The crow
05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
wow that was quick [:p] its one of those vibrations that only happens when you ride and you don't realy notice so much till you've been rideing for 25-30 mins when your hand starts to slowly ache

scotty
05-11-2007, 10:07 AM
standard ??? dont bandits bars mount on gromets through the top tc, if so have a geez at em (check the bolt under the top triple

fimpBIKES
05-11-2007, 10:08 AM
u may need to double check your posture

if u are holding yourself up with your arms under braking u might simply be using your right arm a bit more

how often do you ride and for how long?

also, might be worthwhile to quickly check that the handlebars mounts are secure and nothing attached to them is doing little annoying vibes (like mirrors, switchgear etc)

chopaweeza
05-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Anyone thats owned an old Brit bike could tell you the answer. Engine Mounts. I had a similar problem with my old 96' GSF1200 and after I shimmed my engine mounts the problem smoothed out.

fimpBIKES
05-11-2007, 02:43 PM
i love this place!

The crow
05-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Thx to everyone for their quick and helpful responses, everything ive beentold about t his place is true. I'm positive nothing mounted on handlebars is loose and there is no rubber mounts on handlebars mounting, however the engine mount idea sounds like a goer as you expect a lge japanese motor to move a bit i was looking for an excuse to get the motor out will let you know how i go thx again all

RUSS M8
05-11-2007, 05:50 PM
I have a 96 B12 too, I have the standard bar mounts/top tripple which is rubberised.
But, I fitted some drag bars from AUSFR and I spose because they are a thicker bar than standard it reduced vibes quite abit (even with similar light weight end weights...)

chopaweeza
05-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeh thats also a good idea to make the bars out of a heavier material . I make all the bars I do out of 3mm wall tubing which does help alot. Rubberising the bar(forcing a lot of heavy grade silicon into the bar) does have a positive effect and if you aren't running cables or wiring through them is a good idea on some bikes. It always pays to check the basics as well. Check everything that can effect the feel . Could just be a loose riser bolt , worn steering head bearings or uneven adjustment on the forks. All these things and more can have an effect like you describe so check the basics first before loosening off the engine mounts.

loosebruce
05-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Definately worth checking for loose engine mount bolts.
My bike runs noticeably smoother after a carb balance esp at particular revs.
Right hand gets strained because you have to maintain pressure at the grip for throttle control, make sure the adjustment and action is smooth and light as possible.
Chain tension and maintenance can influence vibration and noise,( heard an R1 going thru Queanbeyan the other day and the chain was louder than the exhaust.)
If all else fails, maybe some stylish foam grips ?;)

Booster
05-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Does it roll straight when you take your hands off the bars, constantly correcting a misalignment can do similar.
Take care when checking!!!

devo
05-11-2007, 10:11 PM
hey crow stop bein a sook pain is good or take a panadene.
Vibration is hard to determine what makes you think is the front maye be the back so on and so on . check your front tyre for scolloping or your chain and sprockets these can cause vibration and make sure your engine mountings are ok try loosening all of them up and retighten to torque specs if you have had the engine out at some stage make sure it was put in where it is not twisting and sitting in naturally when all the plates are put back on then tightened.
Hope this helps