PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Selection

Shadowzone
19-12-2011, 06:29 PM
I know this has been/was done before, but I'm curious to see if anyone can help me.

I have the Japanese version of the XJR1300 and I fueled it on Friday before doing a couple of hundred k's on the highway. So when I fuelled it I used BP Ultimate. It seems to be going better starting smoother when cold, and generally liking it more than the 95 it's been getting.

The question is this - Is the fuel in Japan of a higher octane rating then ours, and if so, is it possible the bike has been jetted/tuned for 98 octane fuel? I only ask because it seems to be liked more by the bike than the 95. Or maybe it just needed a decent length ride to clean some of the shit out of the carbs and motor? Fucked if I can work it out.

BANDITROD
19-12-2011, 06:31 PM
I always run bp ultimate in all my bikes it is IMO the best on the market other than race fuels

Tony Nitrous
19-12-2011, 06:37 PM
BP Ultimate in all mine.
Started off because most of the sports riders I ride with use it.
Never had a drama, carb'd or injected. Not sure about other fuels.
Happy with what im used too.

Watto
19-12-2011, 07:39 PM
same as the boys above BP ultimate - slightly higher ron rating than the 95 standard stuff

oldskool
19-12-2011, 08:00 PM
98 - 100 ron is the only way to go!

Slain
19-12-2011, 09:05 PM
SHadowzone: yes jap fuel is higher rating. when i used to play with import cars we only ever used bp ultimate but still had to play with the ecu and tone the tune down for our fuel. Were you riding down west street today at bout 10am? Think i may have been following you.

Shadowzone
19-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Stu: yes jap fuel is higher rating. when i used to play with import cars we only ever used bp ultimate but still had to play with the ecu and tone the tune down for our fuel. Were you riding down west street today at bout 10am? Think i may have been following you.

Fixed it for ya mate :D

Err no mate. I was probably on Anzac Ave around then. I got to Uni sometime around 10 - 1030 so wasn't me.

If you do see someone misbehaving on an XJR then it's probably me.

But cheers for the info that's what I was wondering. I'll keep using Ultimate. I try to only use the one servo (the same one I ran into you at months ago) so I'll change up from the BP 95 to Ultimate and keep using it regularly.

Slain
19-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Ah cool mate figured it was you at the servo but couldnt remember your name lol.
Just for interests sake my second job is doing petrol bowsers and installations and the servo i met you at is the best one in the area. Just make sure you don't fill up if a tanker is there (or has been in the last 30 minutes not that you know) as the sediments in the bottom of the tank are disturbed and also after a large rain storm. BP has some of the best sites but all older sites have problems with cracks in suction lines or tanks producing water so just something to keep in mind.
Havent worked on one of their sites for a year or so but last time i did they had a policy where if you produce a sample of contaminated fuel that has done damage to your vehicle they will pay for it to be repaired to the same degree. Perfect eample is the clubsport owner i met with a 40 thousand dollar built motor which popped.

Oh jsut to add to the info, if anyone uses e10 they should be shot. there is a reason the major fuel companies are converting it back to ULP 91. i didnt even run it in my piece of shit old work ute.

Now bring on the rape, sorry meant rep lol

Shadowzone
20-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I knew about BP's policy with regards to repairing damaged motors but cheers for the official heads up on it. Now I have it confirmed I'll be sure to blow my motor with their fuel!

And that Servo has just had a heap of work done to their bowsers and fuel lines. I try to avoid fuelling when tankers are there regardless of the servo, but sometimes it's unavoidable. In saying that, I try to only use the one service station and pump because that way if fuel causes an issue I know exactly where and when I got it. Doesn't always work like if We head down to Redcliffe to the outlaws or go away on hols but for the most part it keeps it simple for me.

xa-mont
20-12-2011, 10:28 AM
i use regular unleaded in everything... cause i'm a cheap cunt.

Fish
20-12-2011, 03:22 PM
I use either the bp ultimate or caltex vortex. Mostly the vortex because it's 500m from my house. Don't like shell V-power, don't know why, the bikes just don't feel right on it. That and they're almost religiously 4c higher than anything else around my place.

robmac
20-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I use any brand of 98 in the bike but interestly (or not) if I use BP 98 fuel in my car I get about 90klms less range out of a tankful than I do if I use Caltex or Mobil 98. Whatever brand its too bloody expensive, my car cracked the $100 bill for a tank last week...

BANDITROD
20-12-2011, 05:41 PM
I used BP ultimate in the family EA today and managed to get and extra 200klms to the tank than I normally would fucking awesome stuff I love it

Gix11
20-12-2011, 05:50 PM
BP's my fav and I'd head to that from choice but you can't always get it where ever you end up, so as long as it's 98 I'll use it.

We got stuck out a Dorrigo once with nothing but E10 Ethanol shit. The bike stalled as I tried to leave the forecourt. Unless I nailed the throttle all the time you were fucked. Stopped at every set of lights. Everyone know you shouldn't put this shit in a bike, but for those of us that have had to, that's what happens. Just say No (unless you're fucked).

Slain
20-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Shouldnt have to worry too much longer Si, been doing e10 to ULP91 conversions for the past few months. Should only be a few more months and even the small retailers will be swapping as e10 will no longer be available.

When i get the time i will do a blog up about fuel and the differences and between Japan and Aus and what to check for at a servo before filling up to avoid any problems.

Shadowzone
20-12-2011, 09:47 PM
I thought the Gubment had legislated for ethanol to be included and subsidised and they had to sell it as a mandatory thing?

Hagarr
20-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Ah cool mate figured it was you at the servo but couldnt remember your name lol.
Just for interests sake my second job is doing petrol bowsers and installations and the servo i met you at is the best one in the area. Just make sure you don't fill up if a tanker is there (or has been in the last 30 minutes not that you know) as the sediments in the bottom of the tank are disturbed and also after a large rain storm. BP has some of the best sites but all older sites have problems with cracks in suction lines or tanks producing water so just something to keep in mind.
Havent worked on one of their sites for a year or so but last time i did they had a policy where if you produce a sample of contaminated fuel that has done damage to your vehicle they will pay for it to be repaired to the same degree. Perfect eample is the clubsport owner i met with a 40 thousand dollar built motor which popped.

Oh jsut to add to the info, if anyone uses e10 they should be shot. there is a reason the major fuel companies are converting it back to ULP 91. i didnt even run it in my piece of shit old work ute.

Now bring on the rape, sorry meant rep lol

Morry gave me that tip about if you see a truck filling up at the servo you are pulling in to, keep on going because the water aznd sediment gets stirred up just as you were saying, hhmmm haven't ever taken much notice before this but will now.

pav69
30-12-2011, 05:56 PM
bp for me or one of our local servos sells 100 octane so when i can i grab that bike loves it