PDA

View Full Version : Painting with a brush?

Cruisecontrol
18-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Has anyone tried painting their bike with a brush or roller?
I read about it recently and it appears that the process is quite similar but obviously involves a lot more sanding between coats. Plus, only one coat can be applied each day so it is not a quick job.

I am about to paint my bike just using pressure pack spray paint but this process has caught my eye in a very old school kind of way.

BANDITROD
18-12-2011, 09:43 AM
It will take a lot of sanding but the coons seem to pull it off ok

fimpBIKES
18-12-2011, 09:46 AM
ive seen it done on old cars, you cannot pick the difference by the end

xa-mont
18-12-2011, 09:49 AM
personally i would just go for spray cans if you want an easier way out than buying proper equiptment. Prep properly, few coats of colour, few coats of clear, then a few more, then sand that shit flat with some 1000 ish grit then 1400 then 2000 then polish the shit out of it and it will look mint.

Redmohawk
18-12-2011, 04:18 PM
If you want the conveniance of a spray can in a colour you can't get in a can , but don't have spray equipment there is another option. You can get reusable spray cans. They come in two types I've seen, first has a jar at bottom you put paint in (thined to right consistancy) and a pressure pack is screwed on top to power the thing works just like a normal spray can then but power packs are about $12 then your paint on top adds up cost wise quick. Second option is an alloy spray can you add paint to it then pressurise it with air compressor (servo if you dont have or even hand pump if your desporate) i think they need recharging with air to spray larger bits as air only gets you so far. Can chase up names if you like there is a local supplyer here in shep.

Yella
18-12-2011, 04:26 PM
As xa-mont said you can get a good finish from pressure pack paint with a bit of work but easier to talk to PAV just give it to him and it comes back done:D

Cruisecontrol
18-12-2011, 04:56 PM
It is definitely not an ease of application issue.
I have actually found the colour I want that is available in spray cans, but I was just interested in the concept of painting with a brush.

I really do like the idea of somebody else painting it though.:cool:

Redmohawk
18-12-2011, 05:29 PM
I used to do alot of brush work , with scale models years back and with practice the outcome can be just as good as a spray job. But the time/work factor is just to much for me now, when I can spray it heaps faster.

pav69
18-12-2011, 07:30 PM
i am able to help mr gitz picked up his panels today

EXBEN
18-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Venom was brush painted, using crazer paint then clearcoated,
http://img4.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/15255/1525504483b336f094b1049159012bc6ffd430e4.jpg

sharky
19-12-2011, 07:58 AM
I just looked around industrial estates for a small auto repair shop...got the tank primed, painted and cleared for $150.

80s freak
22-12-2011, 06:00 AM
If you want to paint with acrylics, there used to be a product called Flotrol it lets the paint flow alot better, I'ne seen some amazing results done with a brush and now sanding.

Hillsy
22-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Read this:

http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page/Roller+Method

pav69
23-12-2011, 04:22 PM
fuck that to much work just spray it the right way you get good results straight away and it will hold up a lot longer ,have you ever had to cut and buff complete panels on a bike it sucks big time .

Jockney Rebel
27-12-2011, 11:24 PM
when i were a lad [ok no fuckin oldie jokes ] i knew this old geeza who was acochpainter and he d paint the panle and then whenit was tacky "polish" it with wet muslin [and thats muslin not A wet muslim ]looked like glass after a few coats but yer right bloody labour intensive

Weaselman
01-01-2012, 05:14 PM
if i paint panels with a foam roller I thin the paint out and apply very light coats with a foam roller. While doing this i chase the roller with a hair drier. The reason I do that is that it pops the bubbles created by the roller. It takes ages but ive painted car panels on rods and killrust with this method and it works fine.

fimpBIKES
10-01-2012, 12:01 AM
been reading up on this also
i dont have sheltered area and am worried about overspraying on neighbours etc
so what sort of paints best? should local autoshop be able to mix up acrylic/enamel as per nopart thread?

damo1
10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
if i paint panels with a foam roller I thin the paint out and apply very light coats with a foam roller. While doing this i chase the roller with a hair drier. The reason I do that is that it pops the bubbles created by the roller. It takes ages but ive painted car panels on rods and killrust with this method and it works fine.

Heat is the key to painting with a brush your paint should be pre heated in the tin prior to application to the panel,
it makes the paint run/flow better and also helps the brush strokes flatten out as it runs/flows on to the panel.

This is old school stuff but can be very effective if done properly ^^^^^^^ the hair dryer is just adding the heat after the paint has been applied.

If you think of a spray booth it in a rough sort of way does the same thing it lets the 2K clear coat flow flatter as it heats it before it drys.

Have a shot at it on something small to start and see what happens mate.

fimpBIKES
11-01-2012, 11:44 AM
so anyways, i have got the auto-shop down the road to mix me up a litre of ford blood orange in acrylic
will have a go this weekend at brushing it on after heating in waterbath and then heating afterwards with a heat-gun

should i use a bit on thinners in the paint as well or just slap it on?

damo1
11-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Mate i got a feeling it only works with enamal, acrylic will dry to fast if you put heat on it after you apply it.

You can try heating it per application and see what happens??

Is it a solid color or a metallic??

fimpBIKES
11-01-2012, 06:47 PM
its a solid colour
i'll do a little test bit then see :confused:

damo1
14-01-2012, 11:11 AM
How did it go??

fimpBIKES
15-01-2012, 09:18 AM
not that good, it dries pretty much as u brush it on
that was a 50/50 mix of thinners and acrylic

u couod do it i think but u would be using a lot more paint once u sand back the high spots
roller might work better and possibly adding retarder

damo1
15-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Thats why they use enamal id say takes longer to dry.

pav69
15-01-2012, 05:52 PM
give me a call mr fimpman .what bike are you painting mate

fimpBIKES
16-01-2012, 07:33 PM
hi pav, not painting a bike
experimenting with some ute doors

thanks for the offer