PDA

View Full Version : fibreglass tanks

grant
03-11-2007, 05:27 PM
hey folks, after a long time trying to get someone to build/modify a tank for me at a reasonable price i figure the only way i'll get what i want is to go fibreglass.

my question is, has anyone got a lead on anyone in melb that does that kind of stuff? and do they need any kind of compliance certificates?

cheers

chopaweeza
03-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I build tanks & frames for choppers as a sideline in steel. Shoot me a diagram of what you are after and I'll see . It's time intensive but not overly difficult if you know how.

Pommy Chopper
04-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Fuel tanks don't need any sort of compliance.

chopaweeza
04-11-2007, 09:31 AM
They do in Victoria mate. After a famous incident involving a Green Frame Ducati SS 750 where the fibreglass tank ruptured they banned fibreglass for fuel tanks and I believe it still stand today. An instant Red Defect Notice and I've heard it's a big fine as well. As an FYI Grant, Pommy Chopper also builds steel/alloy tanks as well. We Chopper Lads are very good when it comes to building parts eh Shaun.

Pommy Chopper
04-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Indeed mate, i can only speak from an ali/steel tank point of view and the engineer i use said that no compliance plate needed, as for fibreglass tanks, i wouldn't touch them.

Cheers.

Booster
04-11-2007, 08:31 PM
How different to std is what your planing ? great thing about steel is you can make any shape you want only limit is your imagination (fuel tanks have a few more limits...)

Jockney Rebel
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
its just cost me 300 bucks to get a grp tank resealed[petrol proofed and new gelcoat] id only have em if the tanks unavailable in any other form ie mine is a cb1100r fuel tank which the oem ones are extortionatly expensive if available at all

grant
05-11-2007, 05:23 AM
guys what i am trying to do is mate the bottom of a gsx1400 to a 1100 katana tank, however it may be that the tank needs to be widened up to 50mm to get the right look onto of the 1400 motor. the reason i looked at fibreglass is for it to become cost effective to make more tanks. i have a steel 1400 tank and a katana tank sitting ready for the right person to come and give it a go. i wonder how hrd vincent get their 'glass tanks certified?

chopaweeza
05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Re-Tunneling can be a pain in the arse . It's usually easier for the builder to use the donor tunnel as a template and make a new one from scratch. I've done several and so has Shaun. Last re-tunnel was a Katana tank that some one tried to use air to pop a dent but instead popped the tunnel. They now have a Katana tank that holds an extra 3 liters and looks good still. Another way to make a tank is to use Kevlar and laminate it over a styrofoam plug . Have seen a few tanks done this way and it looks nice but I have no more info on the process. Now, I've got full books with 2 builds at the moment but Shaun might be able to squeeze you in .

gibbo
05-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I know a bloke here in melbourne that builds tanks from scratch in ally, sells stuff worldwide, can give you his number if you want but be prepared for a wait.

grant
05-11-2007, 12:06 PM
gibbo, if your talking Bernie Willett, he is flat out, we spoke a lot earlier this year and he gave the project the green light, then about a month or two later he got hammered with jobs from his regular clients soooooooo i'm on his "to do list" when he gets a chance...he is a top bloke and his work is world class damn i wish i had half his skill..poor bloke 70yo and us bike bastards won't let him slow down.it will be a sad sad day when he stops as those skills will be lost forever.

grant
05-11-2007, 12:23 PM
chopaweeza,i actually have a 'glass kat tank skin/cover that was used on a drag bike, what i figured id try was fill it with expandable foam then cut and fill and bog it till i got the size right...make a plug as you call it. then i could send that just about any place and get either 'glass, kevlar or steel/alloy made the same. i keep leaning towards glass or kevlar so i could reproduce the tank.

also i know i'm limiting my options by trying to keep the job within melb but i really think the tank cant be built with out having the whole bike there ( unless they have a gsx1400 on hand )

grant
05-11-2007, 12:27 PM
another thing thrown my was was thinking about using an external pump rather than the factory item mounted in the tank, but that opens a whole new can of worms

megareg
05-11-2007, 09:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

They do in Victoria mate. After a famous incident involving a Green Frame Ducati SS 750 where the fibreglass tank ruptured they banned fibreglass for fuel tanks and I believe it still stand today. An instant Red Defect Notice and I've heard it's a big fine as well. As an FYI Grant, Pommy Chopper also builds steel/alloy tanks as well. We Chopper Lads are very good when it comes to building parts eh Shaun.

Shit, there goes my SFC750 Laverda.....

waltari
10-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Have a read here:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145975&highlight=tank+for+zoran

Might just do it yourself;)

gibbo
10-11-2007, 09:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by waltari

Have a read here:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145975&highlight=tank+for+zoran

Might just do it yourself;)
That's a good read, been toying with the idea of making a seat unit for a while now. Thanks.