PDA

View Full Version : LED indicators

suxukifreak
01-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Just bought a set of led indicators and they came with 4 resistors, is that all i need cause im new to this led stuff ;)

fimpBIKES
01-02-2006, 05:18 PM
u need to run the resistors in parallel with the LED indicators

or u could bite the bullet and get one of these
http://www.austreetfighter.com.au/scart/html/176.html

suxukifreak
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Fitted indicators and resistors and all seems fine, just blink a bit faster than normal [8D]

boogieman76
28-03-2006, 02:25 PM
I can get you a Narva LED indicator relay for $20 + p&p

28-03-2006, 09:03 PM
what other LED shit you got Boogieman[?]

suxukifreak
28-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah Boogy, im in brisbane to save on postage, will send you a email :)

Gix11
28-03-2006, 11:01 PM
That sounds interesting Boogieman, might also take you up on that. Give us the details.

boogieman76
30-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Sounds good guys,
I got interested in LED'S for automotive purposes and have had a play with retro-fitting standard and aftermarket indicators with LED's. It's been successful so far. I searched for months for the relays at a reasonable price and thought I'd try to pass on the savings and stop people paying $50- $100. There are cheaper out there but Narva is a good brand and they're rated to 210W which means they will run 1 to 10 x 21W indicators or 1 to christ knows how many LED's, so they are more than up to the job. Iv'e always put MCS mini GSXR indicators on my bikes but the bulbs are hard to buy replacements for so at the moment I'm doing a set of mini GSXR'S LED indicators for my old man's '78 Z1000 and I'm using one of my relays which is allready running his normal bulb indicators.
I know the relays make the LED indicators work so contact me when/ if you would like one, but I'll post more info when I know the results of my LED indicators. Let me know if there is any interest.
Thanks guys.

cammy9r
30-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Since we have a few UK members i thought i would post this.

HALFORDS here in the UK do a LED indicator relay which is bike specific and therefore plug and go. It will reduce the flash rate if LED indicators are fitted.
They are made by GT Moto and are £20. If they are not out on the shelf just ask one of the parts guys.

boogieman76
03-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Guys, I may have stuffed up.
I was given bad info and passed it on in good faith. The relays I have are electronic, non load sensitive and a max load of 210W. They seem to actually need a load of about 2.5 to 3 Watts to operate. They will operate LED indicators if they draw enough power but if one set drops out it may actually be enough to stop the whole lot. I am currently chasing up a pure LED flsher from Narva.
Most Auto stores and electrical stores want up to twice the price I was asking for the same product so I'll see what I can get the LED flashers for and I'll get back on with an answer. I can still get the other type if you were after them but they are just an electronic non load sensitive type.
Sorry about the bad info guys but I'll be back with an answer.

03-04-2006, 04:52 PM
hey Suxuki, how ya fairing mate? Good to finally meet you :).

Can you give me the ratings for the resistors for you're indicators?

fimpBIKES
03-04-2006, 07:00 PM
sick of the fast flashing already chalky?

boogieman76
03-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Another fix is to put a big resistor on the wire out of the standard flasher to create a load. This is not ideal but 3 different Auto eleccys told me to do this, one even worked it out that a 10 ohms 100 Watt resisitor would be the best one for it.

boogieman76
04-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Well it's all over for the moment, even the supposed LED only flashers available need more load than the electronic ones I already have.

fimpBIKES
04-04-2006, 09:48 PM
stu sells the right ones, or the ones i have from libertek
have it so u can adjust the flash rate
http://www.libertek.com/freedomthrutechnology.html

they are a tad pricey though...

Wazid
10-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Any more info on these, Just I'm looking at doing the whole led indicator and tail light thing. I take it 1 relay is enough.

shift1313
10-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Fimp, in your first post you said you need to run the resistors in parallel with the Leds. is that correct or are you supposed to run them in series with it?

also i found this site awhile back, not sure if it helps any of you.
http://metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/ledcalc/index_eng

11-02-2007, 01:34 AM
They need to be run in parallel mate, if you run them in series they just make the indicators dull, or not visible at all.

shift1313
11-02-2007, 11:30 AM
i see, so you guys are just bleeding off some of the current to slow the "pulse" down. only thing ive ever made with LEDs was an AF gauge for my car, i wired a pot inline for the brightness so i wasnt sure,
thanks!