PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Preferred Motorcycle Oil Brand ?

Gitzy
07-12-2011, 08:37 PM
The Poll

Without starting a debate on whats hot and whats not, or mineral vs semi synth vs full synth lets find out who is using what brand and maybe why it's your choice of liquidy goodness.. :confused:

These are the top 10 Oil brands I could think of (and only 10 fit in poll list) so if you are using one not on the list feel free to post it and let us know.

My Choice

For many many years I was using Shell VSX4 Fully Synthetic in all my bikes based on no other reason than that's what my Uncle used in all of his bikes and got a bazillion untroubled kms simple really..

Then Shell decided one day to change it to Synthetic Blend and introduce Shell Advance as a fully synth replacement without letting their customer base know, I only found out after buying 4 x 1 litre bottles because the shop didn't have 4 litres in stock, only to realize 2 bottles were different batches of the new 'Blend' oil different dye as well which gave it away (Didn't even know they dyed oil), after a call to Shell service dept confirmed my query I decided to crack the shits and jump ship..

So, after trawling on good old ASF one day I found a thread where EXBEN said he used Motul 5100 in all his bikes no issues, well I figured hey Ben knows his shiz and followed his lead and never looked back.. So Motul it is for me..

How About You??

BANDITROD
07-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Yep motul 5100 in all mine aswell mate I always have and always will

Gix11
07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Have to agree as well.

yoda
08-12-2011, 06:01 AM
I used to use motul, still do in the dirt bike, but use elf in everything else now, good gear!

RevHead
08-12-2011, 07:13 AM
full syn ,,all the way ,fuchs, motul,,,and motorex in my bikes ,i just dont trust the other brands,

kev@vcm
08-12-2011, 03:24 PM
yeah im a motul 5100 man my self

El_Hefty
08-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I worked for exxon-mobil so whilst i still have an excess stock ill use the free stuff :o)

Shadowzone
19-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I'll take four litres of your excess stock if you are overburdened and want some extra space Mr Hefty.

I've always used Shell in my bikes, never had an issue with them either. I got put onto them by Old Barry Graham (Clive know's who I'm talking about) back in the day and have never changed or wanted to. I guess it's a case of once you're onto a good thing stick to it.

Yella
19-12-2011, 06:28 PM
motul 5100 in all mine aswell

StuNVA
21-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Motul, quieter and better gear changes

EVLZX
06-09-2012, 11:07 PM
I like Silkolene, but it varies with every bike some bikes like full and some like semi.
I can only imagine what the guy was running in the ZX b4 I got it, the air filter was caked, I asked when it's next service was due "they don't really need a service, just change the oil every now and then".

nick76
16-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I like Silkolene, but it varies with every bike some bikes like full and some like semi.
I can only imagine what the guy was running in the ZX b4 I got it, the air filter was caked, I asked when it's next service was due "they don't really need a service, just change the oil every now and then".
And you still bought it...........must've been cheap???

ALBI
16-10-2012, 12:52 PM
You left one out. Mate
Canolla free cooking oil

EVLZX
16-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Price was alright KM were low enough and there wasn't too big a gap since the last shop serviced it (he lived down 4km+ of dirt road so that kinda explains how the filter got so filthy).
Then again after getting the bike back from the shop the chain was like a bow string and the front tire was on 55psi, so having a shop service something doesn't mean a lot.
Next service I'll just do it at the local Honda shop strip pretty much everything off, ride it there and get them to do the valves as it's a real prick of a job. rest of it I'd rather do.

Dynomutt
16-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I use Morris Oils, in most of the nig aircooled lumps i build I run Morris Oils 20/50 V twin specific semi synthetic, which is also what I run in all the tuned GSXR/Bandit engines. In my ZRX1000R which is a more modern engine I run their sport 4 semi synthetic 10/40. Very good oils both of them.

jmw76
17-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Motul 5100 is good stuff, but where is the Penrite Racing 10 on the list? This is also great for high performance bikes and a good price usually.

EVLZX
18-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Isn't the penrite 10 a car oil?

Tony Nitrous
18-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I use Morris Oils, in most of the nig aircooled lumps i build I run Morris Oils 20/50 V twin specific semi synthetic, which is also what I run in all the tuned GSXR/Bandit engines. In my ZRX1000R which is a more modern engine I run their sport 4 semi synthetic 10/40. Very good oils both of them.

I havent heard that name in a while.

They were based at Shrewsbury, not far from my Kidderminster.
I never knew many folks using their products in bikes but they were VERY
popular with all the local farmers. I suppose it could be in part due to how
good the local sales guys are.

They are not the biggest company around so I take it they buy someone
else's product and blend and refine it to their own spec ?

Nothing wrong with that if its what they're best at.

Good to see something Pommie that hasnt gone tits up.

jmw76
20-10-2012, 06:09 PM
HI Guys,

Do a search here http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/ for Suzuki GSXR1100 or whatever you are riding.

Racing 10 is Penrite's premium oil, suitable for motorcycles with wet clutches. I have been running it in my race engine of recent.
Full synthetic and reasonably priced.

MONO
21-10-2012, 07:57 AM
I am a MOTUL FAN ...then PENRITE came knocking

Now I stock both ..WHY, check out the specs

BUT FIRST ABOUT WET CLUTCH OILS
JASO MA and JASO MB classifications
Modern motorcycles usually have the same oil lubricating the engine and the wet clutch. For this purpose most of the time the regular friction modified engine oils are not good enough. To make sure that the right oil is used motorcycle manufacturers usually require the oil to meet one of the JASO standards explained below.
The motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard can be classified into four grades: JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system firction test.
In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

API (http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php) SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
ILSAC (http://www.oilspecifications.org/ilsac.php) GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA (http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php) A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3

Furthermore, the motor oil's Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI), Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI) and Stop Time Index (STI) should be within the following limits according to the JASO 904:2006 friction test:

API STANDARDS & CLASSIFICATION

Designation and Description
SA Oil without additive
SB Some antioxidant and anti scuff properties
SC Meets 1964-1967 requirements of
Automotive manufacturers
SD Meets 1968-1971 requirements of
Automotive manufacturers
SE Meets 1972-1979 requirements of
Automotive manufacturers
SF Meets 1980-1988 requirements of
Automotive manufacturers
SG Meets 1989-1993 requirements of
Automotive manufacturers
SH Meets 1994-1997 requirements of
Automotive manufacturers
SJ Meets 1998-2000 requirements of
Automotive manufacturers
SL Meets 2001-2004 on requirements of----------MOTUL 5100...rrp $69 4lt 7100...$89.00 4lt
Automotive manufacturers API Standards:API SL/SJ/SH/SG
SM Meets 2004-on requirements of automotive
manufacturers. XW-20 and XW-30 grades
have chemical limits
SN Meets MY2010 requirements of automotive--PENRITE 10 TENTHS RACING 15 (SAE 15W-50) $65.005lt
API SN
Fully synthetic, full zinc, shear free, high performance grade for use where SAE 15W-40 oils are specified. Suitable for many older European petrol and light duty diesel engines and in a wide variety of petrol engines. Also ideal for four stroke motorcycles with wet clutches. Replaces SIN 15.
Key Specifications: API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, BMW LL-98, MB 229.1, JASO MA, VW 502.00/505.00
manufacturers. XW-20 and XW-30 grades
have chemical limits

SA to SJ are obsolete.
Every spec is clearly on every bottle

Technically should you run an oil with a 2004 rating in a 2010 bike, has it got the right additives in it for that engine ???

MOTUL 300V DOES NOT HAVE A RATING ON THEIR SITE ????????

MOTUL INFO
http://www.motul.com/au/en/products?f (http://www.motul.com/au/en/products?f)

PENRITE INFO
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs_new/Product Listing September 2012.pdf

EVLZX
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Just thought I would add to this thread again.

Changed over to Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 10 Oil 10W-40 a month ago/2000km this stuff is bloody awesome changes are heaps smoother. Previously had Motul 5100 or 7100.

So if you're up for an oil change I would highly recommend the Penrite Racing 10 range, they also have a vehicle selector so you can find the right oil for your bike or car or what ever http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/
(http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/)Plus you get the added bonus of a 5 litre bottle over the usual moto 4 litre at a comparable price.

Tim
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Motul 5100,

Dad buys it by the box and I used to get it off him at $40 a 4L bottle.

nick76
01-06-2013, 05:12 PM
I've been using Lucas Oil in my Hypermotard for the last 15,000ks......and it's awesome for my bike.
There are zero metal shavings on the magnetic sump plug.