PDA

View Full Version : how much is normal???

edstar78
29-10-2007, 06:31 PM
how much metal filing material is it normal to see when you change your oil?

pommie02
29-10-2007, 07:37 PM
none.....what colour is it, if its silver it could be bearing material. if its copper ...crank bearings. big lumps with part numbers, not good.

Matt
29-10-2007, 08:00 PM
If you are running in a new engine there will definately be fine particles in your oil. I wouldnt expect too much in a well used engine though unless something is wrong

Weaselman
29-10-2007, 08:07 PM
If youve stuffed a couple of gear changes there might be some trace but if you havent there is somthing wrong.
What Matt said is right too new engines (If yours is) throw alot of shit out during running in.

Are there any knocks or out of place noises coming from the bottom of the engine? Is primary chain knocking about at idle?
Anything in the engines normal running that might indicate somthing moving about that shouldnt be?

Also what make of bike and how old is it. That will also help in problem solving.

edstar78
29-10-2007, 08:09 PM
not mine. dropped the oil for a mate on his old slingshot and found tiny (not even 1mm) pieces of fleck. I saw around 5 of these pieces. He does not know when the oil was last changed but the oil filter looks old and ratty. He isnt panicky and reckons he will keep on riding it. It has done 60,000 kms what do you reckon?

Weaselman
29-10-2007, 08:16 PM
well if there are no knock and rattles id say that it was because the gearbox had taken a beating.
IF there arnt any bad noises replace the oil with a quite heavy one 20W 50 because of the km's and keep going. drain again after 5000 and have another look. If there are bad noises before then if there arnt already then its somthing more serious.

speeddemon
29-10-2007, 08:50 PM
if it has alloy clutch plates then you always will get silver bits in the oil but with steel plates (which is generally the norm) you should get as much..

RUSS M8
30-10-2007, 05:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by edstar78

not mine. dropped the oil for a mate on his old slingshot and found tiny (not even 1mm) pieces of fleck. I saw around 5 of these pieces.

No prob. Keep enjoying the slingshot for the next 100,000k's :)

edstar78
30-10-2007, 09:21 PM
No abnormal noises, and the engine sounds good running at idle and revs.

alfiestorm
30-10-2007, 09:30 PM
If you find a piston in the oil next time you change the oil go to the pub and all will be well :D

edstar78
01-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Just to update, i spoke to a mechanic friend today that said that a bit of swarf in the oil can be normal and is no need to panic. He has worked with suzuki for years. So i think my mate with the bike will keep on keeping on.
Finding metal (we are talking about glitter here) in oil has inspired another gsxr 750 88 owner that i know to drain thei;)r oil and check and he found about five pieces of glitter type pieces in his oil and his bike runs like a dream. I am not sure what i would do if it was my bike? perhaps it is normal and we never really notice when we change our oil?