PDA

View Full Version : Dropping out

Tone
12-07-2006, 06:03 AM
Can anyone shed any light on why the 750 loses idle after getting a bit hot?Just had the carbs cleaned and adjusted and the bike is running fine, but in traffic after warming up the motor just loses idle down to cutting out especially after giving it a bit on the rare open stretch.
Cheers

devo
12-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Does the idle fluctuate [?],
Have you done your valve adjustments [?]

Hillsy
12-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Sounds like your mixtures at idle are on the rich side. This can be affected by factors other than your mixture screws (dirty air filter?, modified exhaust?). Do what Devo said first though - make sure your valve clearances are OK, then with a clean air filter, if it's still happening, adjust your idle mixture screws to lean it out a tad. Someone here might be able to give you a ballpark figure for the screw settings, but it's probably a case of trial and error to get it right. Try a quarter of a turn at a time to see if it cures it.

Booster
12-07-2006, 11:33 AM
choke jammed on in the carbs?

Deano
12-07-2006, 12:36 PM
what happens when you blip the throttle from idle.

does it rev up then die down and nearly stall before picking up and ideling again

Benz
12-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Hillsy might be on the money mate. I think I have a very similar situation with my 7/11.
The easiest test is to turn the idle screws in until the bike won't start without choke, when cold. Once you're there, it's trial and error 1/8th of a turn either way, to get easy starting, and a regular idle, when hot.
Too much fuel at idle will do exactly what you're describing, in my experience.
Does it flutter a bit at cruise/low throttle settings too?

Tone
12-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Devo:idle is steady till after a while then it just dies away.I'll check valves though.
Hillsy:Possibly that air filter is due for a clean,I'll try that to.
Booster:Pretty sure the choke is working ok.
Deano:It revs out cleanly from idle and idles well after until it gets hot then seems to die on throttling off.
Benz:I'm thinking too much fuel at idle as well but it runs smooth at cruise but a bit wooly at low revs.
Thanks heaps lads,I'll try the above and see what happens.
Cheers.

Captaintoc
14-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Have a read of this it may be of some help.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

Have Fun
Andrew