PDA

View Full Version : Whats a streetfighter?

lewis
18-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Came in to work today, and a guy asks me for a set of plugs for his "fighter" zxr750. I start chatting about fighters and before long im out fron checking out his bike. What greeted me was a face as proud as punch as he explained he crashed the bike, replaced every thing with a dodgy looking dirtbike headlight and put a set of fat bars on by drilling the top triple and installing dirtbike risers. He explained to me that this was a true "streetfighter" and how you would be lucky to see any around. He was happy with it and i suppose thats what matters, but what is a street fighter? Is it simply a striped sports bike with mx bars? After seeing his bike i showed him photos of mine and he told me " Youve wrecked the frame by painting it and its got clip ons, so its not a real fighter, but you'll get there" [}:)] Never mind my hand made subframe, r1 body work,hand made headlight....

sickboy
18-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I think its hard to quantify exactly what one is,everyone has their opinion of what a 'fighter should be,then there are the streetfighter sub genre's, rat fighter,custom-show fighter etc or just a sports bike with the fairings removed and a set of Renthals fitted.Just my thoughts.
ps.I hope you directed the bloke with the 'fighter to Aussie Streetfighters.

Rocket
18-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I agree with sickboy, there's plenty of different styles of fighters and if you've stripped the fairing and lights off your crashed bike and fitted MX bars, the qualifies for me. After all, that's how they started out right ??
From there you can go to any level you like and it still qualifies, as long as it's not a stretched busa with a 300 tyre and a full fairing.
Normally you'd think that clip ons don't qualify the bike as a fighter, but look at crazy mofo's SV. If that isn't a fighter, I don't know what is.

The guy sounds like a knob. Best to not tell him about ASF, there's enough of us here already.

lewis
18-10-2007, 10:31 AM
I hope no one takes this the wrong way, im not saying one is better than the other, im just whinging cos i met a wanker today ;)

BillyWhizz888
18-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Goggle never lies :D

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=streetfighter+motorcycle&meta=

funny what the number one was though..........

Go us [8D]

hmmmnz
18-10-2007, 11:27 AM
when i first started fightering my zxr, i once called it a streetfighter on another forum, although i had at that stage just pulled the fairings lifed the rear had a set of risers and moto-x bars, installed a cool headlight and some cool digital clocks, i got ripped to shreads "thats not a streetfighter, its got to have major engine work blah blah, thats shit blah blah" the usual shit from people who don't have or have never made a fighter. but from then on my bike is the ratfighter,
i think any bike that has the fairings off and has been changed is a fighter, but we all have different oppinions on what a fighter should be.
you should have just punched him in the face and said its all about attitude you fuck faced little weasle, get the fuck out of my shop before i release the hounds... :D
lol i might just be getting a wee bit carried away :D

fimpBIKES
18-10-2007, 01:00 PM
up until a few mods ago i was still feeling a bit cautious about calling the tiller a "streetfighter"

i never would ride up on my SV when i had it and declare "check out my sick streetfighter"
cos it wasnt REALLY that far gone, even though i had done a fair bit too it (bars, mirrors, headlight, rear mudflap, jacked up tank, cut down slip-on, rejetted carbs etc etc)

but people are dumbshits, most people dont even notice half the stuff i have done on the tiller

Weaselman
18-10-2007, 01:05 PM
A streetfighter to me is a sportsbike thats changed as much as possible from its standard look but managing to make the new look seem as though it was always there.
A well done streetfighter will have people going "Whats that" instead of "Must have crashed it"
Thats not to say streetfighters on a whole are just that its a massive and vaired thing. But as sickboy said there are ratfighters and show fighters and the like.
Each to there own i guess. Some people just like to belong hehe

Gix11
18-10-2007, 01:15 PM
What's the chances of that? Nearly a year to the day that this subject reared it's head: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3244

Check out the outcome from last time. Best of all we get to see the best looking GPZ ever made again!

traviss
19-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Has it realy been a year ....Well Does putting a set of mags and lowering a taxi (holden or ford ) make it a hot rod...You never finish a street fighter, even if you think its finished some smart arse points out what you could do next ...Thanks to ASF i will be in the garage for another 10 years....lol

BOHEMION
19-10-2007, 10:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

What's the chances of that? Nearly a year to the day that this subject reared it's head: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3244

Check out the outcome from last time. Best of all we get to see the best looking GPZ ever made again!

Just noticed it was the most puppet had posted in one thread maybe he'll be back in this one too[:p]

Gix11
19-10-2007, 02:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by BOHEMION

quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Just noticed it was the most puppet had posted in one thread maybe he'll be back in this one too[:p]

I doubt it mate. That will mean leaving the salon on the way to the gay club.

BOHEMION
19-10-2007, 03:51 PM
HAHAHAHAHA Classic!

HueyonaBlade
19-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I think that the majority are over looking such builds as CRAZYMOFO who as to the best of my knowledge still has clip-ons is regarded as one of the nicest fighters here so I dont really believe that a set of bars is the key nor just removing your fairings , Opions are purely that , if your happy to ride what you have then fuck what others say call it what you want

Groomey
19-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Stock bikes can be streetfighters too. Provided they were designed a certain way ofcourse

traviss
19-10-2007, 05:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Groomey

Stock bikes can be streetfighters too. Provided they were designed a certain way ofcourse

That would be stole the idea too look like an SF so the knobs that are to scared or have no ability can claim they have a fighter .
Its a bit like painting a raptor green and putting it in the show and shine as an SF ..I think one must at least have modified the bike in someway significant to claim SF rights not off the shelf at the local bike shop....

Iceman
19-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Many people say a streetfighter starts off as a sports bike, which in alot of cases is correct. I doubt anyone here who knows my bike would deny the fact that it's a streefighter through and through, yet not even I would claim a GS 500 is a sports bike, even with the injection and turbo.
Some motards, almost fall under the streetfighter banner and they're not even road bikes. Now I know this is a topic which will never die, but what some people need to realise is a streetfighter is whatever you choose to make of it. Everyone has different ideas and tastes.

Groomey
20-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Their are alot of stock bikes that manufacturers produce, which i think are alot closer to a streetfighter than bikes with heavy modifications. After all thats what the company was intending to do.

latheboy
20-10-2007, 04:16 PM
I disagree Groomey they are just naked bikes ... SF are built not brought , its all about having something that no one else has, be it a nice paint job and bars (or clip-ons) to nothing left of the original bike bar the engine or main frame.... I think if you've changed the profile of the bike it helps ..
If i got a brand new R1 and took the fairys off would that be a SF or what about a 250 bandit its already got bars ? NO .. Some thought needs to into changing the bike from original and make it better than the factory made it .. Oh and have i said the fairys are ghey

Large
20-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Chuck Bronson is the streetfighter

none of that faggy JCVD crap

Iceman
20-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Did some ask for JCVD?

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/14263681577927.jpg

Large
20-10-2007, 04:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Iceman

Did some ask for JCVD?

er no

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/14263682640916.jpg

This was released as "The Streetfighter" in Aus (iirk)

edit- imdb confirms :)

CookyMon
21-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Groomey one way of looking at 'fighters is to see them as being to sports bikes what custom cruisers are to cruiser bikes. Custom cruising was a scene that started in America when some owners decided that they could modify their bikes to suit their tastes/requirements. Manufacturers these days release factory "Custom" versions of their cruisers, but if it comes off the factory floor like that then it's not really customised is it? They are merely trying to imitate the style to cash in on another market segment.

It's the same with so-called factory-'fighters. Streetfighters have come into being in a similar fashion to the way that Custom cruisers evolved. Some modifications are necessary, and you have to have started from a certain point. You can't for example buy a CB900 Hornet, add a belly pan and a sports exhaust and call it a streetfighter. But if you started from a CBR900RR and had crashed it (for wont of a better reason to ditch the fairings), ditched the plastic, installed a new headlight, maybe some new 'bars or whatever, then that's genuinely a streetfighting bike. You can't buy that off the showroom floor.

papa smurf
21-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I agree with Latheboy.
'Fighters are built, not bought new from the showroom.
What you do to it or how you do it is up to the individual but i reckon the real trick is to make it different.
You can't get that from a bike off the showroom floor.

BOHEMION
21-10-2007, 07:44 PM
what about someone who crashes a brand new bike 10m from the shop then 'fighters' it and customizes it?[:p]

alfiestorm
21-10-2007, 08:00 PM
A slightly fightered gixxer with a fully fightered engine

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/351566796101853.jpg

1216 wiesco, camotion high lift cams on slotted sprockets dialed in, orient express valve springs, Gas flowed head,APE heavy duty studs and nuts, APE billet camchain tensioner, 38mm mikuni rs smoothbore carbs with k&n filters, pingel dual flow tap, dyna 2000 ignition, dyna coils,taylor leads, quick action throttle grip, barnett kevlar clutch plates, barnet diaphram springs with 1 standard spring. braided clutch line, cobra speed pro ss exhaust, Hel oil cooler and braided lines,braided front brake lines, tokico six pot calipers, ABE contoured discs front and rear,racetech progresive fork springs,sprint steering damper,nitron rear street and track shock. Dont think there is much else apart from 168bhp at the back wheel with more power to follow.

ozkat
21-10-2007, 09:17 PM
If you think your bike is a streetfighter then it is, and fuck anyone who says it isnt.

BOHEMION
21-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Exactly sanchez, its all about attitude. Oh and abit of ability with attitude:D

Matt
22-10-2007, 06:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

If you think your bike is a streetfighter then it is, and fuck anyone who says it isnt.

Exactly mate, every mans bike is the best that he can afford/make. What one person can do to a bike may be well out of reach for others.

Gix11
22-10-2007, 11:38 AM
If you need to ask if your bike qualifies as a Streetfighter then you're not really with the plan. We used to create the bikes that we wanted to see and then got told we had made Streetfighters. All this tagging shit is very gay - let's face it, the name Streetfighter only came from a magazine named the same! Build what you want I say - that's what it's all about.

Iceman
22-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Click, BANG!

End of topic. lol

jakam04
22-10-2007, 12:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Iceman

Click, BANG!

End of topic. lol

Until next time someone posts this topic again without doing a search for the umpteen million other times lol... excellent answer from the big man...

Jarrod

zx12argh
22-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Well I for one think a streetfighter has to have glitter and tassels...

Oohh and panniers - you guys know how convenient those things are for when you are going to the shops and need some place to put your minature poodle?

HueyonaBlade
22-10-2007, 06:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

Well I for one think a streetfighter has to have glitter and tassels...

Oohh and panniers - you guys know how convenient those things are for when you are going to the shops and need some place to put your minature poodle?

Isn't that why we put a flower basket on the front of them[^]