PDA

View Full Version : Swapping a gsxr750 slabside engine

edstar78
17-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Long time listener, first time caller!
Just a question. I have a gsxr750 j model in great nic. recently the diaghpram in the fuel tap let go and ended up flooding a cylinder with fuel. Now the mechanic tells me that the bike wont stop blowing smoke and they reckon the oil scavenger ring is jammed in on the piston so it is not doing its job of stopping oil getting into the combustion chamber. They think the petrol washed away the oil from the ring and some how caused this.

Any way, i am no mechanic, but i have access to a spare engine for the exact same model. The donor bike took a small slide down the road and was put in storage for two years. The engine ( still in donor bike as i want to start it before a i go to the trouble of swapping engines) has oil in it and the tank is empty if fuel - i don't know if carbs were drained. I wanted to know if anyone has any advice on starting this engine after two years. I have replaced the oil already and am charging up a battery.

Also the throttle is missing from the bike- is it possible to start the bike on choke and just rev by pulling the cable? I guess that even if it starts on choke it will be good to go anyway as it was a good runner before the incident.

any advice is appreciated.
cheers!

BANDITROD
17-10-2007, 06:12 PM
try this link mate
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7407

latheboy
18-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Hi there edstar hows it going ... yep great site .. yes start on choke and yes on pulling the cable but dont ring the guts out of it .. clean the spark plugs first .... Can i have the old motor ..

Gix11
18-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Don't worry to much about the holding hands thing Edstar, I'm over it. As for starting the engine after two years, I recently started on after 3 years which had been drained of oil and fuel and it fired first time and ran sweet. I think as a rule, if they have been stored well they will have no problems.

chopaweeza
19-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Started a BSA that had been stored for 15 years and it was a little smokey for the first 2 minutes. Thats mainly because I filled the bores with fresh oil 3 weeks before i tried to start it. Started third kick(never start a bike with Amal Mk1's on a first kick) . So it all depends on were it's stored and such. I'd pull the plugs and put a little fresh oil into each bore about a week or two before starting it and would try to turn the motor over by hand with the plugs out first.