PDA

View Full Version : Religeon

BillyWhizz888
27-09-2008, 12:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY-ZrwFwLQg

RED ZX
27-09-2008, 02:39 AM
Thanks for posting that.

I shall be sure to pass it on to all who will appreciate it.

gibbo
27-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Good one Billy, funny but unfortunately true.

morrigan
27-09-2008, 12:06 PM
It's a shame that only those of us who are capable of independent thought will appreciate it.

turbogsx
27-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Dawkins is a fucking legend. Simple as that.
I have been a life long atheist it's almost as if it's in my DNA.
Religion, in the past, must have had an evolutionary advantage, since it is so ubiquitous throughout human civilisation (or lack there of) It must have had some positive influence. There are too numerous benefits I can think of but one of the earliest advantages would be it enabled human clans to grow much larger than the extended family, greatly increasing their influence and resources. Whereas clans with no binding religion would be pretty much on their own.
There aren't any truly complex religions so it's much easier for a lazy or deficient brain (the vast majority of humans I have met)to imagine a virgin birth(though technicaly Mary was raped by an angel as the story goes) than to actually picture the complexity of DNA fusion and synthesis at the time of conception, it's so incredibly complex without years of study most people cannot get more than a conceptual understanding(myself included). The fact is that to have a male child a female egg (X) must get a Y chromosome, though an indisputable fact, is lost on many people. Asexual reproduction always bears female progeny (AFAIK)there many examples in nature.
So anyway, religion can really cater to the lowest common denominator That's why Maccas has more restaurants than Gordon Ramsay or Neil Perry will ever have. It's not that the food is better it's just got a simpler menu. The fact that otherwise intelegent people can be religious nutters shows that the gene(s) responsible for religion have little negative side effects. I also know some lower IQ atheists, though atheists tend to be able to procees information in a logical way no matter their IQ.
I'm sure you guys don't give a fuck about my rant anyway but anyone who hasn't, read Dawkins he is a much, much more capable speaker on the subject than I. I just love to rant on the subject.

latheboy
27-09-2008, 11:22 PM
If i dont have someone else's ideal's pushed apon me i dont give a fuck what you or the next bloke/chick thinks about god... There are plenty of good and bad people out there that do and dont believe in whatever... Just let it be, this subject is very old

Shadowzone
27-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Nicely put Latheboy

Fight_fan
29-09-2008, 12:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

Just let it be, this subject is very old

x 1000! Thank you... ;)

Weaselman
29-09-2008, 01:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

george carlin baby!

JackTar
29-09-2008, 01:59 PM
^^^ Died this year didn't he? Must have pissed go off :)