PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke engines & RC Engines

336LJ
19-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey anyone here into Radio controlled cars/planes?
Reason I am asking is I have a bunch of RC engines and stuff from when my mate died and want to get them going again.

I'v only had RC gliders and stuff so the engines are a new to me. But I got all the gear, just been a while since I have been out making a nerd out of myself as my mate was the only other bloke who wanted to go!

I cant tune the fucking things for shit. had an old MDS 40 running for a bit, but I am just guessing, and with 2-3 different mixture screws I cant get it running right, I seem to be ending up with a bore full of nitro. even though I am leaning them right out. sometimes it idles for a while and as soon as I take the glow plug off the thing dies, or, it will idle fine, rev it up and dies in the ass. The hobby shop dude said the engines are fine. and should run.
I have one Thundertiger 25, and one MDS 40 "bluebird" or whatever its called, and a few fucked engines with spares.

2 stroke engines (on whipper snippers/chainsaws etc) arent something I am familiar with either. Got alot of power equipment on the farm and since the step dad died I want to try get some of the gear going to help around the place.

can anyone steer me in the right direction in regards to tuning them? Theres even a pocket bike I "restored" while keeping my mother company during the week, but its only got the one mixture screw, and some dumbass hose that runs out of the engine and drains the fuel tank, I figured it was some sort of overflow to stop the bore filling up with fuel and just kept turning the fuel tap off.

Docktor
19-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Drag ya plug range up a bit hotter mate. 8s or 9s are pretty good if ya use O.S plugs

scotty
19-09-2008, 04:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

Drag ya plug range up a bit hotter mate. 8s or 9s are pretty good if ya use O.S plugs
???( RCs dont have em)

scotty
19-09-2008, 04:09 PM
at work we import all sorts of planes n shit, I'll see if there is a man kickin around (where are u. The boss is a plane guru)

scotty
19-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Brisvagus ehy.. I'll be looking for that man now

Docktor
19-09-2008, 04:34 PM
RC's dont have em ???. Huh. Then what is a glow plug if its not a plug ?. I was referring to the fact the engines stop when you remove the plug starter lead....

336LJ
19-09-2008, 05:21 PM

I just checked what plug is in the MDS 40, it says its an O.S A3?
I'm using 10% nitro - Extreme Blend brand.. the only extreme part is the fantastic burning of the eyes and nose (love it reminds me of willowbank)

Fired up the TT25 which has the same plug and it did the same thing.

336LJ
19-09-2008, 05:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by scotty

Brisvagus ehy.. I'll be looking for that man now

yeah mate SE side. I know the basics of carby tuning, but if this thing was a holley I wouldnt be wanting to throw it into a wood chipper :P, this 2 stroke bizzo has me fucked. low range, mid range, hi speed.... some dont even have that shit just one screw and an un adjustable throttle (as in the case of the pocket bike)

Docktor
19-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I havent heard of MDS for about 10 years to be honest. I used to play with planes and cars pretty heavily ages ago. Not sure what the A means, but if its a O.S 3 then its way too cold to be running with nitro. Go get a 7 and a 8 and swap them around ya motors. Fuel can and does go off real fast too so if its over a couple of months old toss it out. You are a bit far away for me to tune em up for ya tho.

debaser
19-09-2008, 07:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by scotty

???( RCs dont have em)

Some of the bigger stuff does, scary shit.

http://www.hobbytron.com/GasPoweredRCCar3CHRTRH5FordGTJHCH5.html

336LJ
19-09-2008, 08:42 PM

I havent heard of MDS for about 10 years to be honest. I used to play with planes and cars pretty heavily ages ago. Not sure what the A means, but if its a O.S 3 then its way too cold to be running with nitro. Go get a 7 and a 8 and swap them around ya motors. Fuel can and does go off real fast too so if its over a couple of months old toss it out. You are a bit far away for me to tune em up for ya tho.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/41003579248856.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/41003579237962.JPG

Heres the MDS40, The no matter what I do it seems to just bog down and die when I throttle on. spitting fuel out the carby. its like its constantly flooding.

the screws from left to right (bottom pic) are apparently
High speed mixture -
idle -(next to carby throat)
mid range mixture -
low speed mixture - ( in the center of the nut that holds the throttle linkage on.)

I leaned the idle screw in about 1/8th of a turn and it ran heaps better, but no matter where I had the high speed mixture set - it kept stopping under load. I even had it screwed all the way in and it wouldn't suck fuel up the lines.

I think I'm going to screw them all, all the way in, then back them off 1 1/2 - 2 turns and start mucking around from there. Just dont know an easier way to go about it.

jose
20-09-2008, 07:11 AM
I have a few nitro cars/trucks. Normally I start with 3 turns out (HSN - and LSN flush with housing) Also, try leaving your glow plug warmer attached while tuning. This might stop it from dying when yr tuning. Hope it works... :D

If this fails, flush it out with metho, new fuel, new fuel lines and new plug.

Fight_fan
20-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Alls I kno is I want a RC drift car! Have u lads seen em? Theyr fuckin awesome! Sorry... I kno thats of kno help whatsoever!

336LJ
20-09-2008, 10:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

Alls I kno is I want a RC drift car! Have u lads seen em? Theyr fuckin awesome! Sorry... I kno thats of kno help whatsoever!

haha yeah my mate has an electric one they are pretty cool. suprisingly easy to control.

oldskool
20-09-2008, 11:18 PM
cat got ya tong scotty?

Jay_G
29-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I have had a bit to do with rc engines, you post above says mid speed mixture, it does not have one the screw on the rh side facing the cyl is the throttle barrel retainer.

if it is spitting fuel out the carb try turning the low speed needle in 1/8 - 1/4 turn at a time.

might pay to strip the carb down, or at pull the highspeed (needle valve) out and make sure there is no shit, wind it back in till it stops but dont overtightern and wind out 3 full turns.

starting procedure.

open throttle full WITHOUT GLOW HEATER

put finger over carb and flick over a few times, thsi will prime it.

close throttle back up.

attach heater and flick away.

leave the heater connected for a 30 secs to a min whilst it warms up a bit then attempt to tune.

if it floods pull the plug out and attach the heater, to clean all the fuel off.

if you can tip engine upside down and flick over a number of times to clear the cylinder.

replace plug and repeat.

rc car i was trying to start for 1/2 an hour a few months ago ended up flying 10 foot into the air when the pullstart snapped, glow engines can lead to frustration.

i would also attach a rod to the throttle arm to avoid gettng a runaway engine.

336LJ
30-09-2008, 01:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jay_G

I have had a bit to do with rc engines, you post above says mid speed mixture, it does not have one the screw on the rh side facing the cyl is the throttle barrel retainer.

if it is spitting fuel out the carb try turning the low speed needle in 1/8 - 1/4 turn at a time.

might pay to strip the carb down, or at pull the highspeed (needle valve) out and make sure there is no shit, wind it back in till it stops but dont overtightern and wind out 3 full turns.

starting procedure.

open throttle full WITHOUT GLOW HEATER

put finger over carb and flick over a few times, thsi will prime it.

close throttle back up.

attach heater and flick away.

leave the heater connected for a 30 secs to a min whilst it warms up a bit then attempt to tune.

if it floods pull the plug out and attach the heater, to clean all the fuel off.

if you can tip engine upside down and flick over a number of times to clear the cylinder.

replace plug and repeat.

rc car i was trying to start for 1/2 an hour a few months ago ended up flying 10 foot into the air when the pullstart snapped, glow engines can lead to frustration.

i would also attach a rod to the throttle arm to avoid gettng a runaway engine.

cheers mate I'll give that a crack, I had a pushrod attatched to it when I Was trying to start it last week cause I didnt want it to start up on full noise and fly off the table. also didnt want to chop my fingers off trying to molest the throttle!