PDA

View Full Version : Tried Swinging (Sidecar :P )

Gsxar
14-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Now this could be my kind of swinging[:p]. Watched the sealed track side cars lots and always said I would like to have a go at that. Got a call today – am I brave or stupid enuff to go on a dirt track side car, on a very bumpy track, fully warned it had to go flat out, no slowing down for the learner ohhhhhhhh and they don’t have brakes.
Umm okay why not.
I admit I watched the them do a few laps and thought shit what have I got my self into[:0]. Into the leathers and on I jump, what an adrenalin rush – a slightly painful one as I sit here aching with some very nice coloured bruises.:D:D

Biggest problem was the bike was set up for someone bigger, I couldn’t reach the grab bars etc. That was a little scary diving head 1st towards the ground hoping to catch the bar. ;)Hahah had a ball , got off and everyone is like were you scared with your face a few inches from the ground – can say nope lol biggest thing in my mind was I couldn’t see anything, so always have one hand or leg holding on somewhere n jump when to the otherside when gravity says so…..focus on not tipping ova ;)
I’m happy I stayed on. Watching the video playback was scarier than doing it lol.
Few modifications to the bars for my size n I’m gonna head up to Broadford for a practice day and explore this a little further. Anyone here do this? Tell me more I cant wait to have another go:D:D

Bear
14-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I haven't done it but grew up around them. My father used to build speedway sidecars for a father and son team. They drove while two brothers swung for them (keeping it all in the family, so to speak).

They used to run kwaka 9's back then. High comp pistons and over-sized valves. Bit different today though.

I never had the urge to swing but always thought it would be a blast. Being so close to the ground and front wheel. You steer the bike just as much as the driver, shifting weight around for traction and turn-in.

One of the brothers that used to swing for our team had no fear. He quite often would get someone elses sidecar wheel shoved into his back (tyre marks up the back of his leathers), so he'd pull himself up a bit, let go of his front hand and use it to grab the other bike's sidecar chassis behind him and give it a big pull upwards. The other bike would over-slide and scare the shit out of the driver. They'd only do it once. :D
All this while sideways at full-noise most times.

loosebruce
14-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Onya Jo.:D
Sounds like a bit more fun than "Car keys in a bowl".
Were you racing or just having a go?

Gsxar
14-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Just a practice. It was literally a track in a paddock and the huge bumps every where it felt like it[:p] Keen to have a go riding the bike as well :D:D

morrigan
15-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Go Jo!
Always wanted to have a go at swinging sidecar. Get the video up on here so we can live vicariously through you!

TurboKat
15-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Quote from a wise man;
"I place Sidecars in the same category as Poofs - they don't offend me, I just don't understand them"
Wise words Jojo, stick to riding [u]2 wheeled</u> stuff, it hurts less.
If you REALLY want to be a passenger, I'll take you for a spin around the block in my car... you can even open the door & hang out if it makes you feel better. ;)
2 wheels good - 3 wheels GHEY. [^]
Bet you can't do 10 star jumps right about now can you? :D

pt
16-09-2008, 12:10 AM
i swung on an a few F2 and F1 sidecars on a training day. fucking best fun i've had on three wheels. scraping shoulders, arse, feet and hanging with your head 20cms from the tarmac. awesome rush. oh and not to mention getting on the gas and the rear just spinning away. not so sure about dirt track sidecars though...

Booster
16-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Swung on a F1, but i'm too long to move quickly, kept missing the switchover points, but i did learn quickly how to make the outfit slide nicely with weight/body position changes, trouble is this unsettled the rider somewhat.... great fun ,just wish there were more hours in the day and more money in the bank...

And Jo i know a young lady looking for a passenger on her sidecar if you want to have a go on the black stuff. She is on your side of the big smoke..

TurboKat
16-09-2008, 01:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster
And Jo i know a young lady looking for a passenger on her sidecar if you want to have a go on the black stuff. She is on your side of the big smoke..

Pressure's on now ;)

Gsxar
16-09-2008, 06:21 PM
YEAH!!! love to have a go Booster. Give her my details tell me when n I'll be there ;)

Ya right Darren I'm feeling the pain now ;) But the rush is worth it lol. Anyway its a motorbike that goes fast as if I would I would say NO[:p] It's okay I lined up a turn for you on the dirt track one next time your up

Booster
22-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Sorry out of communication for a few days
PM'd details

Loz
25-09-2008, 01:31 AM
If you really want a crack at this, and you're in Victoria, a few of the sidecar racers I spoke to at the Hughie Hoare on the weekend kept on trying to get me and a mate to come down for a "tryout" day in December (Dec 8 rings a bell?).

It was a hundred bucks to do the day, which included some sort of briefing, and then out you went on the Broadford track to swing in a 1000cc sidecar. I can find out more if anyone's interested.

Booster
25-09-2008, 02:14 AM
Its a great day Loz, i hope to be there .

Fish
08-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Here you go for all your swinging fantasies:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270283111574

zx12argh
08-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Reckon it could be road registered?

Shadowzone
09-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Don't see why not. Get yourself a set of indicators and anything is possible.

You may want a very loose engineer while your at it as well, but it shouldn't be an issue really