PDA

View Full Version : Avoid an expensive "screw up" - pun ha ha!

TwinMatch
13-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Folks, I have come to the conclusion that i only learn through error, not trial. :D
Close on the heels of my expensive pin punch on the fork inners debarcle, comes my latest cock up: the "shoulda checked the clearance of the caliper bolts onto the discs" mistake.

After finally completing my brake hangers and test mounting them a million times, i did a live test and bolted the calipers properly. The top bolt was fine - checked plenty of clearance, but i "ass-umed" bottom bolt is similar and met resistance about 10mm out from the hanger. Did i stop to check? NO. I thought i'll just tweak it up and in doing so pushed the bolt through to the brake center/rotor and warped the brake carrier.
After $550 dollars, abuse from the missus, and resheduling my rego test, i now am back on track.
:)
Cheers
TM

sharky
13-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Take the warped disc outside and repeatedly bash yourself in the head whilst chanting 'always check first' like a buddist mantra....

TwinMatch
13-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Sharky - i will also chant "when its late and you've had a few beers - do not try to bolt something on." a few dozen times...

TM

sharky
13-10-2007, 11:15 AM
We've all done summat stupid at some point mate.....just most of us don't publicly admit it.....

TwinMatch
13-10-2007, 11:25 AM
I reckon - bugger it! Share your cockups with everyone for a laugh.:D
I'm not an ace mechanic - just a backyarder having a bit of a go with a <s>money pit</s> project bike, so i dont really have a reputation that i have to protect!!![8D] Hopefully everyone gets a laugh.

sharky
13-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Reminds of me ol' mum.....Went to the fridge one day..opened and shut the door and burst out laughing....
She admitted her first thought was "Who left the light on ?"

Rocket
13-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I put the front wheel of my gixer in the wrong way around after I first had it painted. The speedo still worked but hacked fuck outta the alloy when it was spinning.
Billywhizz laughed and laughed.
I hate him.

I bet everyone has a story.

zx12argh
13-10-2007, 01:23 PM
yeah we all do shit like that now and then... not mechanical error but stupid mistake...once didn't bother warming the engine in my mini once, took it for a fang, first corner I hit had massive oil surge and chewed through all the synchros on second. fuck.

jakam04
13-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey TM... Id still have the standard arse end on Mongrel if I didnt snap the subframe mount. Id even go so far as to say it wouldnt have been air brushed either.... Things happen... move forward.

Jarrod

Learnatic
17-10-2007, 02:10 PM
At least your having a go TM & by putting it on here you may have saved one of us from doing it.As for screw ups I set fire to an outboard motor at the surf club trying to fix it after the rescue boat got rolled.The waitress upstairs in the club house told me she saw a fireball come up past the window!You don't get a more public fuck up than that.[:I]

TwinMatch
18-10-2007, 02:56 AM
I almost pissed myself laughing at that one Learnatic!
Yeah at least my cockups remain out of the publics eye.
But geez it hurts my wallet!

TM

red
18-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Mine was I was staying over west at my brothers place and he said take his wifes cousin out fishing. So I start getting the boat ready by topping up one of his fuel tanks from a jerry can. Little did I know but the night before my bro decided to put diesel in his petrol jerry can.

So... I'm about 4 kays off shore when the motor konks out. You know when something really bad happens and you just realise what a cunt you've made of yourself? That was me right then.

No way would the bitch start, the carbs were full of diesel. Cut a long story short I had to swim to the nearest island, walk across and swim out to a boat on the other side and ask for a tow. Actually the look on that guys face was priceless! Wondering where I'd come from.

I thought my brother was gonna kill me. But we just had to strip the carbs. Anyway, it's funny now. Sorta [xx(]

loosebruce
18-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Putting one of my gearbox bits in the wrong way, not checking selection, put the rest of it together.
Did a test ride and only being able to get first and neutral was a bit disappointing.
My brother did the diesel mix up, pulled up at a servo, said "filler up",went for a leak, paid and left with a tankfull of petrol in his diesel Hilux.Pretty well stuffed the engine.