PDA

View Full Version : Stripped thread

Seifer
12-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey fighters, I've stripped the thread for one of my head cover bolts which some of you may know is part of the cam guides. Since you can't buy these seperately I'll need to helicoil it so can I remove just one without doing any damage? I'm lazy and can't be assed undoing them all. Its the far right one on the exhaust side.
Cheers

EXBEN
13-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Another one ?? [:0]
You better get yourself a torque wrench Seifer [B)]

Seifer
13-10-2007, 09:12 AM
I've got one, this thread was honestly shite, zero torque on it, just came to shreads, atleast the bolt didn't snap this time. Maybe its all the spinach I eat right before I work on the bike.
So is it possible to do?

Hillsy
13-10-2007, 08:23 PM
You can heli-coil them OK, but they are a fairly fine thread and they can be hard to do because it's a blind hole (can't put the tap all the way through). Best take it to a machine / bike shop and get it done there.

And while you're at it (if you haven't already), get yourself a new gasket and new rubber washers for under the tappet cover bolts.

Matt
17-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Coulnt you just use a bottoming tap and then put the helicoil in?

TurboKat
17-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Yep, done it a few times, if you're not confident you can start it off with an intermediate & finish it with a bottoming (taps I mean)
If you only want to buy 1 tap, get a bottoming & use care when starting it off.

alfiestorm
17-10-2007, 10:11 PM
That realy used to give me the shits as those threads would sometimes just shit themselves for no reason no matter how careful you are.

I got fed up when three of mine shit it at the same time. I had stainless inserts put in all of them and no toubles since.

Think I will get it done to my fighter project too.

loosebruce
17-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Recoil thread repair kits available at industrial suppliers, has tap and inserts.
Don't know many 6M1 I have used in the old alloy on my GS1000, did all the cam caps after stripping two with no torque.