PDA

View Full Version : GSXR 750 Sparks?

latheboy
11-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know the power out-put of the Alternator on the 89 gsxr 750 ... How many amps does it make?
Would it be possible to draw an extra 92 amps? Maybe up to 100 even..
The 2 components that i what to fit are quoted to draw 92 amps together ...
I have NO idea about sparks so any help would be great....
Werd

Large
11-10-2007, 11:31 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/67068724759541.jpg

Am I reading this wrong?

100 amps seems like a lot of power.

latheboy
11-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Nope .. you can read Large .. 100 is what i said ..

Deano
11-10-2007, 12:14 PM
100amps
don't think so buddy. i don't think they would have designed the alt to cope with all the standard electrics turned on and then have 100 or so amps to spare.

are you planning to do some on sight arc welding?

Large
11-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I think standard car alternators are rated at around 100amps, but they've got to handle twice as many lights and stereos/aircon etc.

Can't see a bike alternator being more than half of that

latheboy
11-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for shooting me down :( So i guess the fully sic sub woofer will have to wait[xx(]
The plan was a couple of electric fans but ill have to do somfin else ..
Thanks D and L

Large
11-10-2007, 01:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

Thanks for shooting me down :( So i guess the fully sic sub woofer will have to wait[xx(]
The plan was a couple of electric fans but ill have to do somfin else ..
Thanks D and L

How big are the fans?

You're not mistaking watts with amps R U my wigga?

latheboy
11-10-2007, 01:10 PM
They are only Ř100 but spin abit fast and thats the amps i was quoted .. just waiting on the guy to confirm it for me

Large
11-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Electric supercharger?

chadams
11-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi Lathboy, loading 100 amps on a bike circuit is huge. given watts = amps x volts. So at the minimum voltage of 12v you would be talking about 1200 watt device... If you want to test your bikes electrics try about 60 amps. A good item to test that is your starter motor. (most bike starter motors use between 40 to 80 amps). Hold down your starter and see how long it takes to drain your battery flat, then compare that to your charge time of the battery. I can guarantee it will take longer to charge then it did to run flat.

So what we can learn from this is if you can only use 60 amps for a short time, then you can use 100 amps for an even short time.

But what ever it is your thinking about hooking up, please post some pictures of it, I am interest. If you are only using it for a short period you could run a second battery, which would help.

Weaselman
11-10-2007, 02:21 PM
100 amps... Chadams is right a starter only has an 80amp draw... modern reducton starters i beleave have less.
And at 100 amps what ever it is would be getting rather hot.
Running a 2nd battery would work on a piggy back system or if you were a clever monkey you could rig a switching system that ran on voltage and switched the power from one battery to another so you dont have 2 battery drawing off the one alternator... It couldnt handle the draw.

latheboy
12-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Very good Large ...
http://www.force-flow.com/
They make 2 PSI each so i was thinking of running 2 (92 amps) plus id need a fuel pump and a few other things to fire up a couple of fuel injectors ..
At the quoted 4 psi thats about 30 HP extra for my bike, not bad, $629 for 2 blowers thats a great $ V's HP gain ...
They dont run all the time only at WOT or a bit before depending on how you set the system up ..
Just dreaming really and wanting something different to everyone else, turbo's are cool but Superchargers are Kooler .. and its got Super in its name ..:D

I didnt say what it was for in the first post cause i didnt want to get pumped up about it then find out its a no go..

latheboy
12-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Oh yeah .. Chadams and Weaselman ... thanks for that .. with that info i can drill the nerds at work to figure somfin out ..
I wonder if a late model alt. would fit , they must put out a bit more to run electric water pumps and the computer and shit .. Or if i can get my alt. re-wired for the power i need ??????

Benz
12-10-2007, 10:55 AM
That extra 30 horsies wil probably go into driving the alternator. You don't get something for nothin with electrickery. The alternator will load up big time, slow the motor down, and your superchargers will make up the difference. You just added 10 lbs to the bike, and spent this months fun money.
Having said all this, a mate of mine has bought one[or something like it]. He turned it on, and faced it towards my son, who was so suprised by the amount of air, he nearly fell backwards over the balcony!!.
Honestly, do they really need 90 amps??Seems a hell of a lot of power for [2] fancy fans

Benz
12-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Just had a look at the "blower", the blurb say 60 amps intermittantly, so that's 120 amps [1440 watts!!]with both running. I don't know of any bike alternator that could cope with that, and still have enough grunt to run the ignition, lights etc.
The size of the cables needed would be similar to your starter motor leads.
Mate, good luck, but I suspect you will do damage to the electrical system, with that much power draw.

latheboy
12-10-2007, 02:30 PM
From Force flow
Hi mate, The brushless units draw around 60 amps each, but we can get different motors that will draw around 50 amps each or even less. With the brushless system you could tell us how much power you have and we could customize it to suit, remembering of course that the less power the motor the draws the less output of the blowers. Cheers…

Its still way too much power to draw so i guess look around abit more or its back to fitting a turbo ... Oh well it was worth a look anyway ..
Hey Benz do you know what your mate put his on .. would be interesting to see how it went .
And thanks y'all

Benz
12-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah latheboy, went into a injected V6 Nissan , 4WD type vehicle with two battery setup, so plenty of spare electrickery. Setup to switch on at 3/4 throttle. He hasn't got back to me, but I'll let you know what the owner thinks, when he does.