PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Woes

fimpBIKES
09-10-2007, 11:59 PM
im ripping my hairs out

my veypor VR2 shat itself, and from the last i heard (the guy who does the warranty/sales/anything shit for these is no longer officially a part of the importer) and he doesnt communicate very well...) it was still in canada getting diagnosed

so i needed a speedo for my big trip to the gp this week

so thats cool, bought myself a bike computer
wanted one that was both wireless and backlit

settled on this one
http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_wireless/bc1606ldts/?punkt=features

apparently it is "the shit"

but im sorry to inform that it is indeed simply "shit"
the backlight doesnt fucking work and the lag on the speedo reading means that i come to a stop sign and it says "50kph"...

anyways, i WAS planning on doing the midnight bombing run down to the start of the barry sheene ride
but now im not so sure cos i sorta want to have a speedo for once

i dunno, has anyone used one of these piece of shit things?

ps- the manufacturer supplies 2 O-RINGS to mount the thing, says its a bonus cos install is "tool-less", they must be making a fucking fortune on selling replacement sender units (i cable-tied mine on!!!)

Phill
10-10-2007, 06:00 AM
I have a sigmasport bg800 on mine. it runs a cable so it dosent look great but works fine but no light. I wired up an LED , taped it up and drilled a small hole in the housing in front of the screen then glued the led in. not perfect but it works ok.if you're stuck for one i'll rip mine off and get it to you as a LOANER!(with the manual and led) as my bike motor is fucked so I wont be going anywhere soon.
Phill

Booster
10-10-2007, 07:28 AM
What about a cheap GPS , there is still a slight signal delay .
I use a Garmin Etrex as a speedo on the saltlakes as the std one only goes to 280kph.

Large
10-10-2007, 08:02 AM
That's a big (1200+k) night run fimpbaby

If you were going in daylight you could just tag onto aother group of bikes

fimpBIKES
10-10-2007, 08:36 AM
yeah, i looked it up
its 10 hours of saddle time (i actually have a saddle now, made one on the weekend!)

im gonna leave at about lunch
its only about 880k's, so about the same distance (newcastle to bairnsdale) as it was for me to go to the goldcoast
did that overnight no worries, but yeah i think to be safe i might try to make it to somewhere within vic on the princes hwy and then get somewhere to stay, do the last 100k's or so in the morning

how cold is it getting overnight down there? is sleeping in a ditch on the side of the road for a few hours an option?

BANDITROD
10-10-2007, 08:45 AM
fimp it has been dropping to around 5 degrees overnight so good luck sleeping in a ditch

Large
10-10-2007, 08:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

yeah, i looked it up
its 10 hours of saddle time (i actually have a saddle now, made one on the weekend!)

im gonna leave at about lunch
its only about 880k's, so about the same distance (newcastle to bairnsdale) as it was for me to go to the goldcoast
did that overnight no worries, but yeah i think to be safe i might try to make it to somewhere within vic on the princes hwy and then get somewhere to stay, do the last 100k's or so in the morning

how cold is it getting overnight down there? is sleeping in a ditch on the side of the road for a few hours an option?

I think you'll find Bairnsdale is a lot more than 880k.

fimpBIKES
10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
thats not what whereis is telling me?
wallsend NSW to Bairnsdale VIC, shortest time using tolls = 878.51km

5degrees isnt too cold, but yeah might try to get to a motel or something

sickboy
10-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I've noticed there's Veypor speedo's and there's Vapor speedo's ,is there a differance ? whats better? cheers.

chopaweeza
10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
I have a dozen different stock speedos if you get stuck. Give me a yell if you want to borrow one for a few weeks.

themadpostie
10-10-2007, 03:04 PM
I used to sell bike computers for both bikes and we also sold them to suit pocket bikes.

It really depends on the computer, and whilst sigmas arent too bad, they arent designed for motorcycles.

The problems we used to have with wireless units were basically the large electromagnetic field generated by the coil/coils would interrupt the signal to the unit, thereby rendering the fucking thing useless.

We switched to wired, and everything was fine.

Also the refresh is BLOODY SLOW.... which you've found out.... its usually 1 to 2 seconds delay.

Large
10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

thats not what whereis is telling me?
wallsend NSW to Bairnsdale VIC, shortest time using tolls = 878.51km

5degrees isnt too cold, but yeah might try to get to a motel or something

My bad, I was thinking of going down via the Hummer highway and cutting across at Seymour butts

Deano
10-10-2007, 05:45 PM
fimp

are you talking about simon harris who used to handle the oz distribution for kenma?

if so he is still doing the veypor's. i have spoken to him this week about a vir lap timer for mine.

kenma have a exchange unit witch was my old one that i had issues with. kept acting up when i had it so they swapped it over wit ha new one and kept it to send to people like yourself when they need repairs done and are without for a while.

dont deal through a bike shop go direct that way u get the right answer

speeddemon
10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
I have used sigmas (simple bike ones) which were fine to at least 200, after that who gives a fuck

sickboy
11-10-2007, 12:46 AM
http://www.rpastore.co.uk/products.php?cat=219
Anyone have any experience with these? Are they available in OZ? cheers.

WHO-NIN
11-10-2007, 01:09 AM
i've had to use a sigma unit on a 2fiddy n yeah the lag was noticeable even then......but accurate if your just holding a speed....

fimpBIKES
16-10-2007, 09:12 AM
yeah, i was talking direct to kenma
then emails to simon

need to shoot one off today, its taking too fucking long!
nobody mentioned ANYTHING about a loaner, would have come in fucking handy but!