PDA

View Full Version : RG250 fighter (56k KABOOM!)

-Dex-
07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi Guys, just putting my build up for anyone who may be interested. My fab skills are fairly modest compared to the average guy on here so be gentle :D

Anyway, bike is an RG250 that I bought as an abandoned project. Im at uni full time, work full time and am paying off a recoculous amount of debt so cash and time are extremely limited but I'll do what I can when I can. [B)]

This is my first bike build and as Im expecting to make plenty of mistakes Im not going to be doing any thing too out of the ordinary. Anyway, enough jibber jabber, on with the show!

This is what you get for $380 of egay [V]
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/v840/RG250%20build/Earlyside.jpg

It should be noted that the tank, tail and headlight are all just sitting in place and are not secured.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/v840/RG250%20build/Earlyfront.jpg

-Dex-
07-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Tail is some cheap ass copy of a ZX10 tail, is in need of a respray and a crack repair which I'll do once its all up and running.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/v840/RG250%20build/earlyrear2.jpg

The rear tyre looks tiny under that fat ass rear end so something may have to be done about that in the future but for now I'll run it as is and put up with the derisive laughter of other riders :(

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/v840/RG250%20build/Earlyrear.jpg

devo
07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
That is gonna look fucken awsome I wreckon Mate , Keep posting progress pics to ;).
My suggestion would be to move the oil tank from under the fuel tank to sit in the saddle .

zx12argh
07-10-2007, 02:59 PM
mate no money means you just gotta be more creative - should be a weapon round the twisties when you are done.

-Dex-
07-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Well first cab off the rank is to sort the wiring and the subframe.

The wiring has been cut at different places and basically butchered. Nothing is connected. I downloaded a wiring diagram for an rgv which gives me a rough idea of what goes where but alot of it is still going to be plug it up and see what happens. The bike came with an ignition switch from a yamaha so Im not sure if its the same but I'll make do.

Ive started marking the wires I can but without a battery to connect them to its hard to do anything but make educated guesses. Oh well I'll be picking up a battery early next week so I'll have to wait till then.

You can see in this photo that the rea of the frame has been grinded off for some reason [xx(]
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/v840/RG250%20build/nekidrear.jpg

-Dex-
07-10-2007, 03:22 PM
And here is my mad mspaint rendition of what the subframe will roughly look like. I was planning on making it out of 1" box steel and Hi-tensile bolting it on to the aluminium frame unless anyone thinks its a bad idea?
Ive made exo-cages, rollbars, rocksliders, winch bars and rear bars for 4wds so Im fairly familiar with triangulation etc. so Im fairly confident in it been strong enough for me and a pillion although I doubt I'll ever have anyone on the back.

Im also planning on running rubber dampening between the steel and aluminium.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/v840/RG250%20build/subframemockup.jpg

Feel free to comment/criticize. Its all taken on board. As said its my first build and am definitely open to suggestion.

-Dex-
07-10-2007, 03:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by devo

That is gonna look fucken awsome I wreckon Mate , Keep posting progress pics to ;).
My suggestion would be to move the oil tank from under the fuel tank to sit in the saddle .

Do you mean so it sits directly underneath the seat?

RUSS M8
07-10-2007, 06:05 PM
That sub frame will be way strong enough. Good stuff :)

pommie
07-10-2007, 06:35 PM
keep the pics coming, looks like its going to be fun to ride

-Dex-
07-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Cheers guys, yeah, starting to get excited about this bitch.

devo
07-10-2007, 10:48 PM
well get it away from the tank atleast it is such a pain in the arse to service LOL but yeah under the seat or where there is room

Jockney Rebel
08-10-2007, 01:22 AM
nice one dex mate im right into strokers be interested to see what u come up with ...

loosebruce
08-10-2007, 09:35 AM
I like it!
Are you missing a disc off the front?
Same disc as a GS1000/GSX1100, (old and cheap)and later four pot calipers should bolt straight on.

Gix11
08-10-2007, 10:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by -Dex-

Im also planning on running rubber dampening between the steel and aluminium.

You won't be needing that rubber mate. The frame and subframe should be one solid unit, any dampening should come after that. I run a steel subframe attached directly to the aluminium frame. Rubber will eventually wear and give you a loose joint. Definitely not what you want on such an important fixture.

Keep up the progress shots mate. Makes for interesting reading/viewing.

-Dex-
08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Devo: Thanks for the tip! I'll look into getting that done once she's a goer. It makes sense!

LooseBruce: I dunno Am I? I just assumed it was a single sided brake. Thanks for the heads up on the GS/GSX setup, I'll definitely be looking into that.

Gix11: Thanks mate! Thats the sort of feedback Im after. I wasnt sure if having the two different metals in direct contact with one another might have adverse effects. Im planning on using nyloc nuts and plenty of loctite on the bolts so hopefully she'll remain fixed in place.

Have an assignment due in at uni this week so progress has to be put on the back burner, but later in the week I'll have a battery and the steel for the subframe so I can start getting it all together. Stay tuned!

Thanks for all the comments and feedback fellas. Ive only been posting a little while but I have been lurking for ages and love this place!
Cheers,
Dex.

dinorider
09-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I got one of them.building motor at the moment.be carefull to watch that tacho mate.use good oil and set the oil mixture at wot.

-Dex-
09-10-2007, 04:40 PM
What oil/fuel ratio do you use dinorider?

dinorider
10-10-2007, 07:22 PM
oil injected mate.95 octane and fuchs 2 stroke oil

zx12argh
11-10-2007, 01:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by -Dex-
Have an assignment due in at uni this week so progress has to be put on the back burner, but later in the week I'll have a battery and the steel for the subframe so I can start getting it all together. Stay tuned!

Hey Dex - what are you studying? If its Mechanical engineering then I've got a few past assignments for QUT just lying around... ;)

-Dex-
12-10-2007, 12:21 PM
HaHaHa yeah, actually it is Mech Eng.

zx12argh
13-10-2007, 01:42 PM
yeah - for some reason this site attracts them ;) - I'm in the process of finishing my thesis then I'm all done... How much longer you got to go?

-Dex-
15-10-2007, 12:52 AM
1st year at the grand old age of 27 :(

Didnt do much at school and have only recently been shown the tertiary education advantages by a girlfriend who earns more per week than I do in a year [:o)]

Still, better late than never hey. Im glad Im going into this course having built a few vehicles though. Most of the shit they talk about I can relate to actual stuff Ive done which makes it easier for me to understand. [B)]

fimpBIKES
16-10-2007, 10:12 AM
fuck mate, if u want big bucks dont do mech eng....

WHO-NIN
16-10-2007, 01:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

Doesn't need to Fimpy, his girlfriend earns $$$$ so can pay for everything leaving him to spend his money on his bikes!

shit Dex if you don't want her, can i have her, i'll be a stay in the shed dad!:D (with fur kids)

Gix11
16-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Fur kids? That sounds scary.

-Dex-
16-10-2007, 09:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

Why not? Dont all mechanical engineers have starting salaries in the 6 figures?
;)

And no, you cant have the missus...........that is until she regains her sight and leaves me[V]