PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about GSXR1100s?

Seifer
03-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey fighters,
I've just managed to limp home with one cylinder only. (Even that was barely firing)
Anyway, I know its a carbie issue as, as far as I'm concerned they are shockingly tuned. Any way, are my cylinders more likely to shut down if A) they are too rich or B) to lean...
Secondly, the engine heat, after just ten minutes the engine itself becomes way to hot to touch and will still be warm for about 4 hours after. Is this overheating or is this normal? I'm sitting literally 2 metres away ad i can feel the room heating up from having it in...

Deano
03-10-2007, 10:57 PM
if it is rich it should blow a lot of black smoke and cough and splutter alot and feel generally lazy, if to lean it may pop aswell but not blow black smoke and be quite lively when blipping the throttle.

how much air flow were you getting through the cooler? was it slow city riding?

an oil cooled bike should run at similiar temp to a water cooled bike. is the oil cooler heating up with the motor? can you put a temp gauge in the oil line to the cooler?

you gotta remember that there is a lot of metal to cool down and that is not gunna happen that fast. wouldn't be surprised at all if it was still warm after 4 hours

Seifer
03-10-2007, 11:12 PM
K well its popping, stutters, and after 10 mins of riding the cylinders start shutting down one by one. The cases are extremelly hot, its been an hour and I still can't put my hand on them. No black smoke. I started with 3 cylinders, then after 10 mins, two cylinders then the last 10 mins home I had one left. That cylinder itself started to bog down and within the last minute f riding I needed full throttle just to hold onto 30km/h. Any longer and i'd have been walking.

Seifer
03-10-2007, 11:26 PM
THis also happened earlier today, excatly the same. I'd say its temp related since it was ok again once the bike had cooled.

cutcat
04-10-2007, 07:32 AM
its been an hour and you still cant put your hand on the cases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Holy shit Seif you're in big trouble there boy! You are lucky you didn't waste your new donk completely. You could have already shagged your rings.
Usually the elctrics fail due to the high temps, first your pick-up then the coils go one by one. You had better fix the temp prob ASAP. Start by getting more fuel into her.

cutcat
04-10-2007, 07:34 AM
You had better check your cam timing.

latheboy
04-10-2007, 08:18 AM
What about a faulty oil pump .. it would get hot really quick if that wasnt working .
Do you have enought oil to start with ..

Seifer
04-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah I've got plenty of oil and pretty sure there is pressure going through. I reckon its runnning dangerously lean, Jets are only 127s and there is a small leak in the exhaust where the mid pipe connects with the headers. Wouldnt be surprised if the headers weren't connected correctly either. I'll up the Jets a bit and check my timing, can't do it till the W/e tho. Ill check for an air leak at the boots aswell. Floats i think are low aswell.

Deano
04-10-2007, 05:29 PM
is the oil cooler getting hot with the rest of the motor?

you need to make sure you have oil circulating through it.

they have 2 oil pumps in them. one for cooling and one for engine.

do you run a standard cooler or something different?

what specs is the motor/induction/exhaust?

Seifer
04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
1990 GSXR 1100, bored to 1216 11:1 ratio. Standards cooler. I cant tell you if it gets hot, the pipes leading to it were. I'm not game enought to start up and test. Ive got the Twin K&N pods with for now a standard GSXR600 silenced exhaust. As I said it hasnt sealed properly at the midpipe header joint. I'm running 36mm carbs with either 117.5 or 127.5 mains, not sure which ones...

Seifer
04-10-2007, 05:49 PM
I know its a long shot but could the lack of fuel also account for one cylinder not running at all?

Deano
04-10-2007, 07:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

1990 GSXR 1100, bored to 1216 11:1 ratio. Standards cooler. I cant tell you if it gets hot, the pipes leading to it were. I'm not game enought to start up and test. Ive got the Twin K&N pods with for now a standard GSXR600 silenced exhaust. As I said it hasnt sealed properly at the midpipe header joint. I'm running 36mm carbs with either 117.5 or 127.5 mains, not sure which ones...

you are extremely lean on the main. 150 would be a good starting point.

even a standard motor with pods need about a 145 main. reset the float levels to the book (14.5 +/- 1mm i think) if you are running a standard needle then put int the ritchest position change fuel screw to 2-1/2 turns out from full in and tune from there.

you may still find you are to lean on the needle if so get yourself a set of dynojet or factory pro needles and that will solve the lean midrange.

keep in mind that if you are crusing and it choghs and runs shit it could b the float level or pilot causing the problem.

you do have to start your tuning from the main jet back. the main jet does have an effect on both the needle and the pilot. best to get the jets and then start tuning. if you choose to tune the pilot and needle then be prepared to retune everything once you fit the new jets

my bike was running way ritch down low and blowing heaps of black smoke. tried adjusting the fuel screw and the would clear it up but it would then create a lean problem at the transition from pilot to needle.
dropped the float height and so far it is far from perfect but a shit load better. starts easier too.

RR-711
04-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Just a thought knackers. If this is a new engine with a 1216 kit were the rings ends filed down to the correct individual bore sizes?

Seifer
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah they were filid down correctly.
Cheers for that Deano, I'll give that a crack when I get the chance.

05-10-2007, 07:56 AM
have you crimped your fuel lines when refitting your tank. also pull your plugs out and check their colour.Lean = white rich= black grey is sweet. Sounds like you are starving your carbs if its multi cylinder shutdown.

cheers
Davo

Seifer
05-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah its possible, My rank barely fits the frame as most of you 7-11 riders know. With the loom going through there aswell to fit between the filters it makes things very cramped around the tap. My fuel lines are fairly soft and flexible and I think crush and bend very easily so I'll swap them for something a bit harder in compound aswell.

Deano
05-10-2007, 05:59 PM
just use the springs that go around the outside of the standard fuel lines. they stop the lines kinking and work great

05-10-2007, 06:59 PM
start it up and run it till it goes spastic again,shut it down and drain your bowls,(preferably into a small container or via a hose unless you like fires).Starving carbs normally shut down in pairs,like when you switch to reserve,but they can also shut down individually if your float levels aere slightly out.Lean jetting is a worry,but not likely to cause cylinder shutdown,but rather detination of pistons and valves(not good on a new donk).Hot coils caused by overcharging due to a faulty regulator/rectifier can also play havic,as Deano well knows.But i'd be startin with the basics.As a quick test,open all your float bowl drain screws and switch your fuel tap to prime,this will tell you if the lines are bloked.Your fuel tap diaphram pump may also be an issue for starving carbs under normal operating conditions.Like i said mate...start with the basics,pull the plugs and check the colour,i'm sure this will reveal alot. Cam timing problems will be there all the time,not just when it gets hot.If your bowls are well wet then its time to dig deeper.balance your carbs after removal every time.I have chrome headers which give a very accurate thermo reading just by their colour,and when i foul a plug its easy to see why from that. I've got $240 Thai Baht that says i'm on the right track.and i'll be back in 4 weeks to collect my winnings.Till then,good luck and ride safe.

Love still grows,
Davo

cutcat
05-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Davo.........you da man!!!

Seifer
06-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Alright-o, initial findings, one spark plug wasnt firing, brand newplug, just a dud for some reason, thats why I onl had 3 cylinders to start with, the two cylinders which shut down, 1&2, float levels were pretty low, ive raised them to the specs of my Haynes. Ive changed the clip on the needle and turned the mix screw out 2 and half. What I found alarming was that I filled the tank a week ago, have done just over 40kms and It was nearly empty, well it practically was. The thing is I have noticed no leak what so ever, just some slight wetness on the tap. SO now that leaves me waiting for the new jets then an initial balance and she'll be good for a test.
All bowls had fuel, although not much.
Keep you posted.