PDA

View Full Version : fabricating exhausts

Slain
02-10-2007, 11:23 AM
hey guys, my blade is now stretched and slammed ready for the strip, problem is the old underseat system wont fit anymore. so i am planning on making a collector box in the tale similar to the bibles primodial sludge project.
i will be running the stock headers and cutting them where it splits into two and have two link pipes going into the collector box ending in a rectangle tip to sit below the tail light. i have done the plans but need some help with a couple of things.
the collector will be twin chamber (1 per pipe) so what should i use for packing? i want it as loud as my old cut down micron can (25cm long)
also how readily available is prefforated tube for the inside of the collector box, more specifically with a 90 degree bend up one hand.
i have done all the plans and making a cardboard mock up in the next couple of days, its just the internals that i am not sure on as this will be a frist for me.
cheers

chopaweeza
02-10-2007, 11:47 AM
When I do exhaust work I use fiberglass wool . It & other packing are available from better class muffler shops.

damo1
05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
You could also use off cuts of fibre glass matting if you go to a surf board manufacturing joint or a boat builders ask for all the off cuts theyll probly give it to you just to get rid of it.

Or a trick i used years ago the old bradford roof bats they work a treat as well.

zx12argh
05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Have a go an experiment with stainless steel swarf (if you can get it)... I'm thinking of giving that a go at some stage...

Booster
05-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Stainless scouring pads, you can buy them from catering supplies, not the cheapest option but put them in and forget .
They are wound around a center, put your hand thru and slip on to your perforated inner pipe

Pommy Chopper
14-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Most Stainless suppliers stock drilled tube, you should be able to buy an offcut.
Dirtbike shops sell the glass wool for packing.

Cheers'en.