PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock in EFE

EFE 1230
27-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi guys,my "effie" needs a better shock as the gsxr one fitted has no damping left (no idea which year fitted but has remote cannister)Do you think any of the later gsxr oem shocks will handle the extra weight of the effie? if so what would be the best (year/model)? I can get a 2nd hand ohlins for a 92-99 fireblade but it's a bit butchered (ex racebike, rounded ride height nuts/spring preload adjusters hit by screwdrivers ect) or a white power built for a 90/91 gsxr 750 superbike (brand new never used) both $450. Anybody got any idea's???

27-09-2007, 10:03 PM
You can replace the oil in non-rebuildable shocks, and worn out oil will be the cause of faded damping.
On the GPz900 rear shocks you turn them upside down and drain the old oil out through the air valve, compress the shock and suck the new oil in (approx 225cc) while decompressing. Use a syringe to top up.

Hillsy
28-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I had my old EFE shock re-built (about 5 years ago). It was only about $140 at the time. Got them to put a shim under the spring to boost the pre-load as well and it was nice.

And speaking of springs, if your shock is too soft, getting a harder rate spring will fix that. The damping part doesn't affect the pre-load / stiffness.

Also have a look at this:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7115

It has a link to OSS list of shock lengths so you can measure 'em up.

EFE 1230
28-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks guy's, I would prefer to fit something that is a little more adjustable than what I have to bring the rear up to the standard of my 97 gsxr 600 (at least). The effie has a rear ride height adjuster on the frame but needs 20-30mm more in ride height at a guess. Has anyone used YSS shocks or know anything about the brand?

BWIAN
23-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Just for interest sakes, my Effie runs a White Power shock, i think its code number by memory is "EMU" this was the EF replacement, i got it a fair few years ago from "Croozetune"? They then were the distributors for WP, i dont think they are any more????