PDA

View Full Version : Grunting up a VTR250

Tathagata
10-07-2006, 02:03 PM
LOL, I can just bet what you are thinking after seeing that title....why bother?

Well, my partners VTR250 is a great little bike, I stacked it on a track day once and since then we have put a bit of work into her getting her all nice...nothing too fancy, but she looks great now.
My partner loves her little bike, but really needs more power now...so, I said, rather than get something else, why dont we just see what we can do with her first.

So, first step in my quest for information is to speak to you lot, cause you guys know this shit better than anyone I know.

What are the chances of dropping a bigger donk into this bike? I was thinking of a 500 or 600 engine...how hard and costly would it be? I understand we may have to strengthen the frame (someone mentioned the cush drive also??). Would this be a very difficult and costly exercise?

Next question is, what other choices do we have. I would assume turbo is just no use on a twin 250. What about re-bore and re-sleeve? Any ideas how far we could bore her out and would it be worthwhile?

The lady doesnt need a lot more power, its just that at the moment top speed is about 140km/h (downhill with a tail wind, laying across the tank) and at 90km/h+ she has trouble overtaking a car. We just need to give her a bit more to make touring around a bit easier on her.

We wont be doing anything right now, but Ill work out what we need, then we can start getting funds ready for it.

Thanks for any help.

BOHEMION
10-07-2006, 02:27 PM
What mods have you done already?

Tathagata
10-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Nothing real special. Paint job, staintune 2 into 1. Baby indicators and I cut up the rear tail a bit :) she does look good.

Considering putting on a mini fairing with twin lights and a new dash. Remove the rear pegs, cover the rear seat and drop the front a little.
But we wont do any of that stuff unless we keep the bike.

BOHEMION
10-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Depends how serious and how mad you are. As you already have some nice pipes - Dyna Jet stage 2 Kit - Air filters(if for touring then maybe keep the box or get a custom one made up) port and polish. Thats really all I would do Max with out getting a 420cc big bore kit, and mucking around too much.

fimpBIKES
10-07-2006, 05:39 PM
oooh, i reckon a sv650 motor would do her nicely

i have one in the shed i could measure up for ya, not mine though so i cant sell it to u

got pics?

Tathagata
10-07-2006, 05:58 PM
so, how much difference would the changes you suggested make do you think Bohemion? How much extra hassle would it be to bore her out? If you bore it out, would I still have to modify any other parts, like the frame or anything?

fimp, that sounds great. I wouldnt know what to do with the measurements, lol but Ill figure it out.
Im going to give Paul at Redback a call tomorrow and see if he can give me an idea of prices to do these various things.

Pictures, yeah of course. Ill take a couple tomorrow (geez, this means I have to wash the bike, hehe) and post them up :)
Trouble is the paintwork doesnt shine nicely in piccys...

nos_james
10-07-2006, 06:42 PM
i am assuming that it is a 5 speed so maby get a 6 speed out of a spada to give u a little more top speed, also i have been told that they do not make a dyna jet kit for these carbys so you will have to have a look around try some american sites as i have seen them there.

nos_james
10-07-2006, 06:44 PM
i also am led to beleave that the spadas have a higher redline and an extra 2hp worth looking at.

BOHEMION
10-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah mate it would be more worth while investing in a SV650 motor. With the bore talk-Too much hassel for so little power. Get to it mate! and post up piccis as you go. I am currently planning on getting a SV motor (650 or 1000) into the Monster. Its gonna be a bitch of a project. But worth it:D

EXBEN
10-07-2006, 08:40 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/22077913486055.jpg
You need one of these. Cute isn't it rated to bout 50hp, but would give you plenty of torque.

nos_james
10-07-2006, 08:49 PM
what about shoehorning a vtr tho into it would be a lot of fun

fimpBIKES
10-07-2006, 09:08 PM
like a v-twin 7-11 :D

10-07-2006, 09:59 PM
tafaggoter,dont waste ya cash trying to achieve the impossible,sell the Honda and get her an RGV. she'll be whoopin your ass in no time.

IMP-INC
10-07-2006, 10:13 PM
i was tempted to get my spada bore out to a 360 or what ever it is, yer its tru the spadas do hava lil more top end, ive got 170 outa mine but thats witha a tail wind. but yer i reckon just get it bored out a lil. hey exben whats is that anyways??? hmmm. well its not really worth it for me to do it cause i have 11 months of restrictions left

crazymofo
10-07-2006, 10:16 PM
why not just buy a sv650?? lol

i did, bloody good fun!!

cheers.joe.

10-07-2006, 11:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by IMP-INC

. hey exben whats is that anyways??? hmmm.

its a hand held video camera from 1977.should get 1 limp-inch

EXBEN
10-07-2006, 11:47 PM
It's just like a supercharger.........only smaller.:D

03gixxerpilot
11-07-2006, 12:28 AM
ben where do you get one from and how much

Tathagata
11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Had a chat to Redback here in Canberra.

First up, re-bore and airbox/ carby, etc mods will still most likely require the suspension and brakes to be looked at.

Putting in a new engine will certainly require frame mods, brakes and suspension...plus, most likely will require a change to the wiring.

His suggestion, buy an SV650, paint it for $800, cut up the tail end and put on mini blinkers and I have the same effect, but with a 650 engine and for about 1/2 the price.
He reckons Im looking at around $5k to change the engine in the VTR250 and thats if I do much of it myself.

Sounds pretty fair to me, lol.

Told MiLady to choose and she said she would rather go the SV650...I reckon she just wants to pretty up another bike, hehe.

I still reckon it would be a nice project for one day though...the VTR250 is such a great bike to flick around, I reckon that flickability with an engine 3x more powerful would be bloody great.

Hillsy
11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Or you could get a Hyosung 650. They've got the SV motor but are a fair bit cheaper (good base to modify). Found a few in Bikesales from $6500:

http://www.bikesales.com.au/as/search/sd.do?recIndex=5&makeID=40&page=0&y=15&selectedModelIndex=0&selectedMakeIndex=35&previousResultPerPage=20&currentPage=1&x=52

Tathagata
11-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Nah, I wouldnt buy a Hyosung. They havent been around long enough for me, dont know enough about them...an unknown quantity.

Plus, they arent really the suzuki engines in them. They make thier own engines apparently.

Just looked up the SV650, geez those things hold thier value well, lol. She can bloody well save up her own money if she wants one of them.

Hillsy
11-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Ahhh yes, my mistake - the engines aren't the same. I'm thinking of the Cagiva Raptors....Hmmm....that'd be nice, too.....

Apparently the Hyosung GT650 has 5 more ponies than the SV. Who'd have thought that??

vtr420
11-07-2006, 04:14 PM
quick fix for the vtr if u dont need the speed say only want 140 top speed (mine did 160 stock) put a bigger sproket on it say +4 to +7 defenlty gives her more of a go in 5th (u actually go faster when u twist the throtle) mines +7 and i did the run up to uralla the other day from newcastle bit of a bitch on the highway coz i dont feel any good riding along at 8.5 grand (120kms) but once your in the twistie stuff its fun fun fun

vtr420
11-07-2006, 04:16 PM
p.s she goes to on the dyno in two weeks getting it jetted for the stain tune and the restriction taken out of the air box!! i will let u know how it goes!! o yeh 140$ plus jets to

EXBEN
11-07-2006, 07:46 PM
quote:Posted - 11 Jul 2006 : 00:28:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ben where do you get one from and how much
I can get em . Rec retail is $1400 but I can do better than that.
NB: These are only rated up to 50hp so a 250cc would be max.

Tathagata
11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Exben, Im interested. What is this thing? How does it work? Where can I get more info on it? Cheers.

IMP-INC
12-07-2006, 01:07 AM
yer i wanna know, more specs and were u get them from

IMP-INC
12-07-2006, 01:13 AM
hey its not limp-inch its inp-inc, meanin I_am_petey -incorarated. ok u need a pen and pad

vtr420
12-07-2006, 08:28 PM
more torque u say exben!! just what i want.. so is this a bolt on mod for the vtr or is there fucing round to get it on :D

Tathagata
13-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Still interested in hearing about this.

But me and the girly have decided to screw all this saving money bullshit. We are gonna get a couple of monsters. She wants the 620 and I want the S4RS. So we are gonna see if the bank likes the idea and if it does...WOOOOHOOOO!!! hehehehehehehe *breathe*

Thanks for all the help guys.

BOHEMION
13-07-2006, 06:07 PM
save abit more then for the service and parts costs hehe

TurboKat
13-07-2006, 08:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tathagata

bullshit. We are gonna get a couple of monsters. She wants the 620 and I want the S4RS.

You both REALLY like your coffee huh? ;)

Rocket
14-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Unless your girl is vertically challenged, I'd go with a bigger bike.

More and lazier power, stock standard reliability and generally an easier ride.

The dollars you spend on the motor will not reappear at trade-in time either.
And let's face it, a bored out VTR250 isn't going to impress anyone down at Macca's.

VTR420's gearing idea suits him because he's a stunter. But as he says, 8500rpms at 120ks is not very sympathetic :(. I bet he changes gears a lot too.

Get a bigger bike, it's a natural progression.

Rocket
14-07-2006, 06:27 AM
and yeah, I'm with Boh on the Monsters.
Look good, sound good, but I'd prefer something that keeps running and stays in one piece for the whole warranty period (maybe even longer).

vtr420
14-07-2006, 06:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rocket

VTR420's gearing idea suits him because he's a stunter. But as he says, 8500rpms at 120ks is not very sympathetic :(. I bet he changes gears a lot too.

Yes yes i do [^] its perfect for around town but once u get it on the highway u just get board but... allthough little power wheelies of the mark just from gasing it on a 250 makes me smile :D

BOHEMION
15-07-2006, 08:53 AM
You know you can get lowering kits for SV650!

This is My Monster 600. Mate it sounds fuggin fantastic but with the amount of time she has spewed oil and thrown slave gaskets, Need service like a Baby needs a new diper. OEM tools needed to do any work your self. Pisses ya off, Not to mention Parts cost of some little wee bits. Mate by all means go for it if ya willing to give it the TLC.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/30-10-2005_22.30.54Safe8.JPG

Tathagata
17-07-2006, 02:49 PM
You guys not keen on the monsters eh? I have to admit, until I saw that S4RS I wasnt either.

Still, keen to hear of any info about these bikes if anyone has any links. Ive been looking around and really cant find anything bad about them yet. Costs to service them are cheaper than my Busa, so no big deal there.

I checked out a couple of other naked type bikes, but none of them impress me like the S4RS. Though I havent checked out a Brutale yet...

BOHEMION
17-07-2006, 03:05 PM
If you want to spend that money why not get a Trumpy Daytona 675 and fighter that. Youd be one of the 1st to do it and at ALOT less running cost

fimpBIKES
17-07-2006, 08:42 PM
mmm, that'd be nice boh

Tathagata
18-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I dunno why you say less running costs. I still havent seen anything to make me believe the Ducati will cost me anymore than the Busa.

Daytona is a great bike, but I dont like it and if Im spending that kind of money I dont want to go messing with the bike. Thats why the Duc suits me, right out of the crate it is everything I want.

As for my partner, she wont ride a fighter, she wants a monster now, lol. She had given up on the VTR as soon as we looked at the monsters.

Boh, Id really like to hear more about your monster woes.

BOHEMION
18-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Mate if your heavy on the throttle she will die in 12 months no matter how hard u maintain it.

where do I start.

Bought the bike 1st week, Slave fails drops the brake fluid and SHit goes everywhere, still 45 K's from home and no clutch.

Took it to ducati to get fixed. Loaner bike does EXACTLY the same thing.

Over the nmext few months I would have problem with the Valves and most but all my internal gaskets would start to fail 1 by 1.

1st run with the ASF crew, taking Davos nick name of shiney boots - FARKIN ANOTHER SLAVE CYLINDER GONE, and thats just highway riding. Slippin all over the place. Get that fixed. to find I needed a full rebuild on the clutch. Fair nuff a few $$$ down and hopefully everything should be cool for a few months.

WRONG

Electrical system starts to play up EVERY time i ride in the rain.

A few months later, Bite the bullet and spend all my savings on her for one last STOOPID hope she will come good -

twin viper can, DynaJet 2 kit, air box mods. 1 Day after all the mod, the fuggin Slave cylinder busts again. That was it I had enuff.

Bought Kawasaki, Owned it for 3 months now and the most ive had to do is a minor service and new front-rear tyres. And is only now dues again for a oil change, spart plugs and new sprocks and chain,

BOHEMION
18-07-2006, 01:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

mmm, that'd be nice boh

Yeah thats what ive been thinking, That or a Motard, Now to just sell the house :D

hooligan
18-07-2006, 04:55 PM
I used to have a 996 as an everyday ride(never owned a car) and didn't have any probs. I can't remember what it cost to service, though.
Just for the record, I'm broke now.
Boh, maybe the older air/oil cooled engines are a bit more fragile when you thrash em than the newer ones,(996/S4Rs)that are built for it.

BOHEMION
18-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Yeah Hools mate Ur pretty much onto it there, the Aircooled are fuked. I would love to own a 916 - 996 but yeah the $$$ even the new 999S are Horn

fimpBIKES
18-07-2006, 07:04 PM
how about the cagive raptor 650?
way sexier than the monster and SV-type power ;)

hooligan
19-07-2006, 01:22 AM
japanese reliability,italian style.

Wazid
17-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Now i find this thread interesting because I also wanna customise my VTR250.

I wanna do the engine and exhaust and anything else I can think of, plus I've recently found a Japanese site that does custom parts for vtr250, my only obstacle is money so there wishes at the moment.