[:0]this thing was hanging around outside my room the other night
is this a red back spider.... it had a red stripe on its back
it's dead now[xx(]

BANDITROD
06-06-2008, 03:02 PM
yes it is mate thats a female

Fight_fan
06-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh my god Budda! U just dodged death again mate! Scary Lil' Fuckers!

Lucas
06-06-2008, 03:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

Oh my god Budda! U just dodged death again mate! Scary Lil' Fuckers!

About as scary as butterflies and puppy dogs.........

Budda, killing redbacks is illegal. They are a national symbol and protected. You'd better be careful you don't tell too many people. There are tree hugging hippy's about that'll report you to the AUST Dept of National Environment and Flora and Fauna Conservation and Prosecution.

morrigan
06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
I got a heap of them around my place... keeps unwanted visitors out of my tool shed! One dropped down from under the tank last time I had the bike in for a pink slip. Freaked the mechanic out!

Budda
06-06-2008, 04:43 PM
no spiders will survive if i see them kill them all i say
scary little fuckers i hate them
but cool to have seen one
but how bad would it be if you got bit
should you get your arse to hospital or what

BANDITROD
06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
that depends i got bitten by one of the little fuckers and when i went to hossie they said that they only affect 20% of people so i got an injection anyway just to be sure

Budda
06-06-2008, 04:57 PM
ok good to know

Lucas
06-06-2008, 05:24 PM
I got a bite at work years ago with no effects but another bloke was fucked after a bite. Spewing and then dropped and a night in Hosp

Jockney Rebel
06-06-2008, 05:36 PM
apparently their related to the north american black widow...never been bitten by one but ive seen a few their sneaky little fuckers who hide ..but they wont bother u if you dont bother them ..its them trapdoor fuckers [ or what ever u callem that are feisty buggers] theyre supposed to be fatal

Lucas
06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Funnelwebs?

Kill ya in 10 mins:D

Along with the red-back and its mythical toilet-seat antics, the funnel web spider holds a special place in the Australian psyche. But what most people think of as "the funnel web" is actually a collection of about 35 different species of spiders, most of which are dangerous. The one that gets most publicity is the Sydney funnel web (Atrax robustus), the species responsible for Australia's 13 recorded funnel web fatalities.

The males are the deadly ones and Jamie Fletcher, who studies funnel web toxins at the University of Sydney, says the venom is packed with at least 40 different toxic proteins (called peptides). Only one of them is dangerous to humans as far as anyone can tell, but it's more than effective enough on its own.

Called robustoxin, the peptide is another neurotoxin that disrupts nerve signals. However, it works in the opposite way to the taipan venom. Instead of shutting-down nerve signalling, it switches it all on at once causing massive electrical over-load in the body's nervous system. The protein attaches itself to nerve synapses and prevents them from switching off - salivary glands, tear ducts and sweat glands all start running uncontrollably, muscles begin to spasm, blood pressure climbs as blood vessels contract and then falls to dangerously low levels. Ultimately, most funnel web fatalities occur from either cardiac arrest or a condition known as pulmonary oedema, where the capillaries around the lungs begin to leak and the patient effectively drowns. Death can come as quickly as two hours after a bite.

People and other primates are exquisitely sensitive to funnel web venom but, intriguingly, other mammals such as mice, rabbits, guineapigs, dogs and cats are relatively immune and often survive 100 times the human lethal dosage. For years scientists wondered whether funnel webs had some special grudge against people. But recently it was discovered the toxin is equally lethal to insects - the spiders' main prey. Dr Graham Nicholson, a funnel web expert from the University of Technology in Sydney, puts our unusual sensitivity to the toxin down to "simple bad luck". He says there's no question humans and funnel webs evolved independently and our susceptibility probably has something to do with the wiring of our highly-evolved primate brains - one of the down-sides to being smart.

Cashing-in on the funnel web's expertise in insect control, Jamie Fletcher and his group at Sydney University are analysing funnel web venom for compounds that could be used as commercial insecticides. To test the potency of the different venom components the researchers inject them into cockroaches - "If they flip over and die, we know it works," he explained.

Lucas
06-06-2008, 05:42 PM
[edit] Symptoms
The envenoming syndromes observed following bites by all these spiders are identical. The bite is initially very painful due to the acidity of the venom and the size of the fangs penetrating the skin. Systemic envenoming may follow the local effects. Early symptoms of systemic envenoming include tingling around the mouth and tongue, facial muscle twitching, nausea, vomiting, profuse sweating, salivation, and shortness of breath. Patients may rapidly develop agitation, confusion and coma associated with hypertension, metabolic acidosis, dilation of the pupils, generalised muscle twitching and pulmonary oedema.[1] Death results from progressive hypotension or possibly raised intracranial pressure resulting from cerebral oedema.[7]

The onset of severe envenoming is rapid; in one prospective study, the median time to onset of envenoming was 28 minutes, with only two cases having onset after 2 hours (both had pressure immobilization bandages applied).[1] Deaths may occur within a period ranging from 15 minutes[3] (this occurred when a small child was bitten) to three days.

zx12argh
06-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Nice article Lucas
I like this
quote:"If they flip over and die, we know it works," Typical Aussie reaction ;)
Mind you
quote:Called robustoxin, the peptide I'm sure I used to do this stuff for a trip... Can't stand that fake cherry flavour anymore...

Lucas
06-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Its a no brainer isn' tit.

Trippin on Funnelweb juice hey :)

Gix11
06-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Yea, don't fuck with Funnel webs. Their fangs can go through leather boots apparently. Didn't give the one we found chance to test that out. Angry little fuckers as well, they'll go for you even though you're a million times as big as them (may be a slight exaggeration on sizing comparison). The one we saw actually chased the missus who then turned it into a rather large foaming mound (for all the tree huggers: yes, it was spider ice cream which it enjoyed lots and not fly spray as most people may have thought):

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200703/r129695_427529.jpg

Budda
06-06-2008, 06:50 PM
thats some huge arse fangs
but i'm a dumbass so i shouldn't worry...

Tony Nitrous
06-06-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't mind mine, I just like to know where he is !

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/8792/spidyyy1.jpg

motogp_nut
06-06-2008, 09:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

FARK! That's huge! It made me shiver.

Have you named him?

Large
06-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I think she's called Larissa

Dark Reign
06-06-2008, 10:47 PM
That is freakin huge MotoGP_nut!!

A few of my Bird eating spiders. They just keep to themselves behind the glass though ;) Sorry about the phone pictures

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/105756244427092.jpg

Dark Reign
06-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Still only young

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/105756244432303.jpg

Dark Reign
06-06-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/105756244426821.jpg

Lucas
06-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Not a fan of the spiders. I prefer my pythons

Jockney Rebel
07-06-2008, 12:48 AM
right im buyin a purdey and some ammo ...lol..i fukin hate spiders [ especialy the ones from mars ]

TurboKat
07-06-2008, 10:39 AM
That's not a Redback Tom, I'll go out the back & turn the wood pile over later & get you a pic of a real one - they're black with a little red stripe on the back of their arse.

TurboKat
That's not a Redback Tom, I'll go out the back & turn the wood pile over later & get you a pic of a real one - they're black with a little red stripe on the back of their arse.

TurboKat

Budda
07-06-2008, 01:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

didn't get a pic of it's back but i did have a red stripe on its back
didn't want to get to close to the friggin thing[:I][8)]

Budda
07-06-2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/19283903715720.jpg

Budda
07-06-2008, 01:52 PM

what the hell is that.....it's huge[:0]

Lucas
07-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Thats the one

Jockney Rebel
07-06-2008, 02:34 PM
budda thats a funnelweb watchin yer telly

Lucas
07-06-2008, 02:55 PM
hehehe, its a Huntsman. Harmless, just big.

Budda
07-06-2008, 03:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

[:0][:0][:0]i'd shit my panty's if that was in my room:D

Budda

Budda

Iceman
07-06-2008, 04:18 PM
I've been hospitalized after a red back bite. I felt a sting on my leg one day at work. When I rolled my pants leg up I could see a bite, within a couple of minutes I had an intense throbbing in the groin,(insert erection joke here)[:0]. A couple of minutes after that I was in so much pain I couldn't walk on that leg.

I was driven to hospital where a coctail of anti-venom, pain killer and a tetnis shot was administered. It was a big arse needle too. Took probably three days to get back to normal. Doctor said some people react worse than others. I'm one of those people.:(

Budda
07-06-2008, 04:53 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/19283929890224.jpg

this is the only "dangerous" snake in norway
it's a huggorm = strikeadder can be deadly to young children
and old people but it's more like a very bad bee sting

Budda
07-06-2008, 04:54 PM
think it would make some great boots

Lucas
07-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Here y'are Budda.

One fucking pissed off Fierce Snake. Most toxic venom of any snake in the world.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/19283940321539.jpg

Budda
07-06-2008, 05:41 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/19283940173942.jpg

this is the biggest killer in norway. elg = moose.400-600kg.

Lucas
07-06-2008, 05:55 PM
bugger bouncing off that..........Buddayou're travelling aroung Aust at the moment rite...How much time are you spending in internet cafe's?? :)

Budda
07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
2 times i'v got my lap top with me
so i look fore motels with free broadband
i'v stayd at some backpackers but they kinda suck and you'r shearing a rom
with 10 too 20 other people ok for 1 night but not if your gonna stay a few days
and i like to wackoff in privat....=)

Tony Nitrous
07-06-2008, 06:08 PM
TRUE STORY.

Used to be a nice bit of road between the 2 country towns
of Bridgenorth and Bewdley. (English Midlands)
Very rural, lined by farming and woodland.

The Lad's from the City, Birmingham, (The Dumb-from-Brum) used
to use this road on Sundays. Birmingham not noted for its wildlife
other than scabby fox's and a zillion pigeons.

One day, lad on his 350LC screams around corner to find a Red Deer
crossing the road. SMASH. bike go's up road, deer bowls off into
woods.

Lad staggers off to nearest house, covered in mud, grass, gravel rash
and blood. As local farmwer opens the door he blurts out in
a strong Birmingham accent....

"Yow ain't gunna belive this !!!
Arrr just hit a FUCKIN MOOSE !!!"

Budda
07-06-2008, 06:15 PM
when i was working for jeco a honda dealer we got a bike(fj1100) in that
had hit a elg
he was pretty lucky tho he was able to ride under it but split open it's belly
and the bike was full of blood,guts and hair no damage to the rider but he couldn't
keep the bike rubber side down
his mate's thought he was dead because of all the blood
one lucky fella.

Lucas
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM

TRUE STORY.

Used to be a nice bit of road between the 2 country towns
of Bridgenorth and Bewdley. (English Midlands)
Very rural, lined by farming and woodland.

Did you make these names up ;)

BillyWhizz888
07-06-2008, 06:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lucas

Me to
“We are no longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!”

nothing more to see here move along:D

Lucas
08-06-2008, 08:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by BillyWhizz888

Me to
“We are no longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing!”

nothing more to see here move along:D

Its a shrubbery

Jockney Rebel
08-06-2008, 12:20 PM

hehehe, its a Huntsman. Harmless, just big.
shit just shows ya what i know id have put both barrles into it :D

Jockney Rebel
08-06-2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/401834088114492.jpg

this is the onbly thing thatll hurt you seriuosly in scotland [apart from us jocks of course]Habitat
The golden eagle prefers open, treeless areas to lowland woods. Because of the climate in western Scotland, these upland conditions are present down to sea level and golden eagles are found there at lower altitudes than in central Scotland. Golden eagles are sensitive to human disturbance and build their nests in remote, inaccessible places. Their territories range in size from 5 - 150 km2. In some areas of Scotland, the breeding density is among the highest in the world and territories are very small. Golden eagles in Scotland do not migrate and will remain in their breeding territories throughout the year. Young and non-breeding birds avoid occupied territories in their search for suitable breeding areas.

Jockney Rebel
08-06-2008, 12:28 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.scottishbigcats.co.uk/logo12.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scottishbigcats.co.uk/johnrenfrewshire.htm&h=435&w=969&sz=50&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=KXBWic693ZRt0M:&tbnh=66&tbnw=148&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwild%2Bcat%2Bsctland%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7SUNA%26sa%3DN
oh and maybe this too ..lol:D

pt
08-06-2008, 08:36 PM

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/401834088114492.jpg

this is the onbly thing thatll hurt you seriuosly in scotland [apart from us jocks of course]Habitat
The golden eagle prefers open, treeless areas to lowland woods. Because of the climate in western Scotland, these upland conditions are present down to sea level and golden eagles are found there at lower altitudes than in central Scotland. Golden eagles are sensitive to human disturbance and build their nests in remote, inaccessible places. Their territories range in size from 5 - 150 km2. In some areas of Scotland, the breeding density is among the highest in the world and territories are very small. Golden eagles in Scotland do not migrate and will remain in their breeding territories throughout the year. Young and non-breeding birds avoid occupied territories in their search for suitable breeding areas.

are you fucking serious?

you forgot bloody frostbite! that hurts.

pt
08-06-2008, 08:42 PM

Funnelwebs?

Kill ya in 10 mins:D

Along with the red-back and its mythical toilet-seat antics, the funnel web spider holds a special place in the Australian psyche. But what most people think of as "the funnel web" is actually a collection of about 35 different species of spiders, most of which are dangerous. The one that gets most publicity is the Sydney funnel web (Atrax robustus), the species responsible for Australia's 13 recorded funnel web fatalities.

The males are the deadly ones and Jamie Fletcher, who studies funnel web toxins at the University of Sydney, says the venom is packed with at least 40 different toxic proteins (called peptides). Only one of them is dangerous to humans as far as anyone can tell, but it's more than effective enough on its own.

Called robustoxin, the peptide is another neurotoxin that disrupts nerve signals. However, it works in the opposite way to the taipan venom. Instead of shutting-down nerve signalling, it switches it all on at once causing massive electrical over-load in the body's nervous system. The protein attaches itself to nerve synapses and prevents them from switching off - salivary glands, tear ducts and sweat glands all start running uncontrollably, muscles begin to spasm, blood pressure climbs as blood vessels contract and then falls to dangerously low levels. Ultimately, most funnel web fatalities occur from either cardiac arrest or a condition known as pulmonary oedema, where the capillaries around the lungs begin to leak and the patient effectively drowns. Death can come as quickly as two hours after a bite.

People and other primates are exquisitely sensitive to funnel web venom but, intriguingly, other mammals such as mice, rabbits, guineapigs, dogs and cats are relatively immune and often survive 100 times the human lethal dosage. For years scientists wondered whether funnel webs had some special grudge against people. But recently it was discovered the toxin is equally lethal to insects - the spiders' main prey. Dr Graham Nicholson, a funnel web expert from the University of Technology in Sydney, puts our unusual sensitivity to the toxin down to "simple bad luck". He says there's no question humans and funnel webs evolved independently and our susceptibility probably has something to do with the wiring of our highly-evolved primate brains - one of the down-sides to being smart.

Cashing-in on the funnel web's expertise in insect control, Jamie Fletcher and his group at Sydney University are analysing funnel web venom for compounds that could be used as commercial insecticides. To test the potency of the different venom components the researchers inject them into cockroaches - "If they flip over and die, we know it works," he explained.

that dude taught me pharmacology.

yeah don't go turning over rocks in the bush around sydney, otherwise you might find a funnel web. and they rear up exactly like in the picture. they are very scary even though they are little. redbacks aren't so bad, there are too many around to be worried. and huntsmans are great for scaring the shit out of people with spider(aracno?)phobia. they are so tame!

336LJ
08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
a work mate of mine got bitten and yeah, fuckin glands (Groin armpits etc) throbbing, spewed his hole out and he went to hospital. Iv had the fuckers drop down on me workin on a car, got a family of them in one car I drive as the parts getter.

I have a HZ ute to bring home and its been in a paddock for the last 2 years, I'm gettin a cheapo gazebo thing and covering it and lettin rip with about 400 pest bombs before it gets on the trailer.

at night, my mates old house used to be covered in giant huntsmans. from inside at the kitchen window you could see them crawling across the window. the whole outside wall would be covered!
well i think they were huntsmans. i never stayed over again at that house to find out

oldskool
08-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Let them all live! Kill a human they are the shit bags that mean to fuck you up.[^]

Jockney Rebel
09-06-2008, 11:53 AM
yeah PT the only time a golden eagle will hurt you is if yer brave/stupid enuf to try an nick her eggs [youd have to be a good climber too they nest in cliffs usually]but some "collector" have been known to raid eagles nests and get followed by her till she sees an oppertunity to dive bomb em,,dosent sound like much but that bird is a hevy muther and going full tilt in a vertical dive shed take yer head off