PDA

View Full Version : Digi speedo conversion for Gixer. Anyone done it ?

Rocket
24-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Has anyone done a conversion to run a digital speedo off the front sprocket instead of the front wheel on an oil boiler ?

I seem to remember seeing something about using a water cooled sensor or something.

Anyone got the bits I need ?

Motor is coming out someday soon for a new base gasket and a clean up and paint job, i'd like to convert to digital speedo then so i can get rid of those pox ridden cheap arse guages I've got.

fimpBIKES
24-09-2007, 03:16 PM
i know its a bit stunter-ish
but i noticed the other day that u can get backlit bike speedos pretty cheaply

was thinking about throwing one on to get me by til mine comes back (in canada getting fixed)

24-09-2007, 03:22 PM
The bicycle speedos aren't bad, EXCEPT I've had 3 now where the casings have fallen apart. Sick and tired of replacing them.

jakam04
24-09-2007, 03:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rocket

Has anyone done a conversion to run a digital speedo off the front sprocket instead of the front wheel on an oil boiler ?

I seem to remember seeing something about using a water cooled sensor or something.

Anyone got the bits I need ?

Motor is coming out someday soon for a new base gasket and a clean up and paint job, i'd like to convert to digital speedo then so i can get rid of those pox ridden cheap arse guages I've got.

Hey Phil,

I bought one of Bens Acewell dashes that I made a sensor point on the bottom of one of the fork legs with the magnetic sensor pickup drilled into the disc rotor in the inward sloping wall.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/jakam04/My%20Fighter/Image006.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/jakam04/My%20Fighter/Image029.jpg

Jarrod

fimpBIKES
24-09-2007, 03:30 PM
vibration?

i was thinking of just velcro-ing it down, that should shield it abit yeah?

i heard wireless doesnt work cos of too much metal, is that tru?

24-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Wireless should work OK, try to maintain a certain amount of line-of-site between the 2 items. And if there's still too much metal then just go buy a Hyosung :D

Yes vibration, combined with using the rubber bands provided would have caused the cases to fracture.

Velcro, or double sided tape would do it, just don't leave it out in public, or some scrote will try to knock it off, caught some victim trying it on with mine at one of the malls one arvo (and that'sd all I'm ever saying about that incident, that didn't actually happen, I heard it from someone else, honestly, I might just go and sand some covering layers off my slightly dented helmet)

fimpBIKES
24-09-2007, 03:49 PM
hmmm, fuckwits (alledgedly)

i WANT to just velcro my veypor on so i can take it off easy and download data, but yeah.... [XX(]

Gix11
24-09-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm running mine from my rear sprocket so I can't see why you can't run yours from the front. The cab;e is only fine so clip it to your clutch line or something until the very last moment and then feed it in through the rubber grommet on top of the case near the join. Take the sprocket off and drill some kind of raised metal piece into it that will act as the pick-up for the sensor then mount the sensor SECURELY somewhere behind the sprocket maybe? It will be a bit of fucking around but should be acheivable. (remember, any more than about 3mm gap from pick-up to sensor and you will get a crap reading). If it comes astray you will do no damage to the actual bike but you'll fuck the sensor and need a new one (Which Stu can supply). Yes, I know that because the prototype for the current mouting had the sensor go into the rear sprocket and get eaten.

24-09-2007, 04:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

hmmm, fuckwits (alledgedly)

i WANT to just velcro my veypor on so i can take it off easy and download data, but yeah.... [XX(]

Yeah, the one I'm working on at the moment will have a memory card for recording and transferring of data. Having to have a palm pilot, or taking the whole unit inside is ridiculous.
Plus memory card storage means I can store more high resolution data for extended periods of time.

Deano
24-09-2007, 05:31 PM
are you meaning later gixxer gauges or somethting phil?

they have a trigger wheel and pick up off the front sprocket

Gix11
24-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Ah, I see what you mean Deano. That would make more sense.

Rocket
24-09-2007, 06:19 PM
That's it Deano, maybe not a gixxer dash because of the space I have available but I wanted to avoid running a wire down to the front wheel.
Si's set up looks good though but I was thinking if i can make it original-ish, that would be more gooder.

Hillsy
24-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I was looking for this info a while ago - I'm sure someone posted about getting a later model Bandit clutch cover (which has the speedo pick-up). I think it was a straight fit to the GSXR donk ???

Cruisecontrol
24-09-2007, 07:46 PM
^^The sensor is not compatible with the Acewell dash at least. I tried it on my '03 B12 and got nada.

Run it off the rear wheel.
Fit the sensor to the rear caliper bracket and run the wire on the inside of the brake hose along the swingarm. Practically invisible.

Deano
24-09-2007, 09:20 PM
i have just put a K1/K2 gixxer dash on my 7/11. as it is water cooled i couldn't use the bandit clutch cover that i had.

quite an easy job to do really, just gota know where the wires go and you are sorted

cause i am such a top bloke phil i will do a write up on how its done

EXBEN
24-09-2007, 10:14 PM
The ACE3963 will run off oem front sprocket sensors as long as they are hall effect type, because they require an on/off (square wave)type signal. The importer tells me that the newer ACE3853 ones will also read a hall effect sensor although I haven't tried it for myself.
The problem with running a magnetic pickup on the front sprocket is they can't keep up so the signal gets confused, this is because the front sprocket spins 2.5 - 3 times faster than the rear.
The Acewell dash's are rated to 300kmh. This is because of the sensor. So with the magnetic sensor on the front sprocket the reading would start going nuts around 100ish kmh

The way CC ^^^ suggested works well because the sensor moves with the wheel when you adjust it.

Rocket
25-09-2007, 10:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

cause i am such a top bloke phil i will do a write up on how its done

Yes Deano, yes you are ;)

Thanks guys, gives me something to think about, i might go with the rear disc idea.
Ben i'll do a couple of measurements of available space and maybe you could have a look at what might fit in the hole.