PDA

View Full Version : Carbie leak

Seifer
21-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Hey guys, just took my GSXR1100 for its first run since I got it. OMG what a rush, accidental wheelies all round!
But my carbies are leaking and I cant figure where its from. They only seem to bo leaking when the bike is running and obvioudly ucking in the fuel. SO if it doesnt leak when off, where should I start looking. I've had them off a few times but can't find anything obvious.

Deano
21-09-2007, 05:52 PM
take them off and put them on a bench so you can see all the way around them then hook fuel up to them and see what happens.

chances are it will be the tee peices that the fuel hose joins to

loosebruce
21-09-2007, 05:52 PM
sounds like a stuck float, try it on PRIME and see if any of the carbs leak.

Seifer
21-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks deano but as I said it doesnt leak until the engine is running. I'll give that a try bruce.

Hillsy
21-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Your fuel tap is a vacuum operated jobby which only flows when the engine is running (except for PRIME).
I'm with Deano on this one - there are O rings on the T pieces that will perish and leak - especially if the carbs have been sitting for a while without fuel in the lines.

Seifer
21-09-2007, 06:58 PM
But wouldnt those T pieces leak regardless of whether there is a vacuum going or not?
Where would I go about finding a replacement for these?

Hillsy
21-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Fuel flows past the fuel tap in the ON or RESERVE position only when the engine is running (PRIME is a gravity feed). The T pieces are below the tap (obviously) so they won't leak when the motor is turned off. Also, if you had a stuck float valve the bike would probably run like crap (it runs OK, right?).

But turn your fuel tap to PRIME like Bruce said and see where the fuel is leaking from. If it's from the T pieces it will be pretty obvious.

You can get O rings from your local hardware shop - just make sure you get the right size.

sharky
21-09-2007, 08:43 PM
And make sure they are petrol resistant ones too.

Seifer
21-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Bike is running semi crap. I had put it down to shite jetting and being out of balance but maybe dodgy floats are the case. Guess its time for an overhaul.
I've just redone the engine too and have a few oil leaks so looks like i've gota while to go yet. Happy days.
I may aswell redo the jets while I'm at it. Its a gixxer 11 wih 36mm carbs, 1216cc, k&n pods and shorty exhaust, anyone have anything similar and can recommend some jet sizes for me?

Deano
21-09-2007, 11:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

Bike is running semi crap. I had put it down to shite jetting and being out of balance but maybe dodgy floats are the case. Guess its time for an overhaul.
I've just redone the engine too and have a few oil leaks so looks like i've gota while to go yet. Happy days.
I may aswell redo the jets while I'm at it. Its a gixxer 11 wih 36mm carbs, 1216cc, k&n pods and shorty exhaust, anyone have anything similar and can recommend some jet sizes for me?

standard pilot jets. factory pro or dynojet needles and 145 mains will get you close (2 turns out on the fuel screw)

balance the carbs first

Seifer
22-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for taht Deano. I just rang my local parts store and they dont order in Jets. Who am I best to go through i Syndey to order in some jets and needles?

Seifer
22-09-2007, 02:39 PM
You were irght about the seals, cracked to all shit. But they arent your standard o-ring so its off to see Mr Suzuki I guess.

Seifer
31-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Right, I've tried just about everything and I still have a leak on number 4. All Ican assume right now its to dowith the floats so what is my cheapest option. I think it may be the float boal gasket but how succeptible are these to leaks? Also where can I buy a carb reconditioning kit from so I can change the seats on the float. Or will buying some seconds carbies be cheaper. Ideas?

edstar78
31-10-2007, 07:48 PM
ebay my friend, search internationally. I just got a tap rebuild kit for $30 delivered. I think if you search for the ebay seller 'ratweasle' he sells carbs gasket kits etc. bout $20 per carb- no use doing one!

Deano
31-10-2007, 09:31 PM
your really need to see where the leak is coming from.'

if it is sticking floats or needles then the fuel will come out the 2 air jets in the mouth of the carb, if the leak is only external (not putting fuel into the motor) then i would say that it is a gasket or something, be careful when putting in then new tee piece seals as it is easy to 'grab' on edge and cause then to leak (done that once before).

Seifer
31-10-2007, 09:38 PM
YeaI have already reinstalled the T piece just in case. The leak is coming appears to be coming from the engine side and the joint around float chamber cover immediately gets wet. then leaks down from there, I think its the gasket.