PDA

View Full Version : telling the defference between cast ally and mag

Deano
19-09-2007, 07:13 PM
as stated

does anyone know a sure fire way of telling the defference between to 2. i want to weld to a clutch cover but am suspect that it could be mag.

i took it to the guys that weld my clutch covers an they recon it is mag but are not sure.

any ideas?

loosebruce
19-09-2007, 08:03 PM
The signal generator cover on my 1100w has the word "MAGNESIUM" cast into it.
Nothing on the clutch cover though, Dunno??

Deano
19-09-2007, 08:05 PM
same on my ignition and rocker cover but nothing on the clutch.

i don't want to weld to a late model clutch cover without knowing for sure if it is ally or not

Large
19-09-2007, 08:23 PM
magnesium burns...

zx12argh
19-09-2007, 09:08 PM
magnesium is about 2/3 the weight of ally (you mean alluminium alloy?) and is very brittle so (I'm guessing this) ally would make more of a pinging noise if you struck it with a spanner then the magnesium. mag would be much more dull - it also oxidises like a bitch so you could sand back a bit on the inside with it with some oxidising agent (or just salt water) and if it leaves white powder its magnesium. It also reacts well with hydrochloric acid...

If you've got a piece of ally lying around scratch one against the other - if its ally then the two wont have much of a tendency to scratch each other - if they are dissimilar then one will scratch the other...

Not sure if any of these are definitive but just what I cant think of off the top of my head...

Deano
19-09-2007, 10:50 PM
thanks 12. will try something out but really need to no exactly as i don't want 3rd degree burns if i try to weld it.

thanks rich your a big help.

loosebruce
19-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Just a thought, you could take a scrape a small sample from the inside of both and see if they react differently to a gas flame.

Large
20-09-2007, 08:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

thanks 12. will try something out but really need to no exactly as i don't want 3rd degree burns if i try to weld it.

thanks rich your a big help.

:)

I was kinda hinting at:

quote:Just a thought, you could take a scrape a small sample from the inside of both and see if they react differently to a gas flame.

zx12argh
20-09-2007, 12:39 PM
^^^
Tremble at my 4 years of uniiverzcity edookayshun!!!
Actually just means I know how to search wikipedia... ;)