PDA

View Full Version : Almost makes a grown man wanna cry

Seifer
15-09-2007, 02:28 AM
Hey i've just spent the last week putting the engine back together and just slid it back in the frame (GSXR1100).
Any way i've gone to shift though the gears only to find I can only shift up one and a half times and it doesnt even get out of Neutral. (the driven and drive shafts are spinning regardless of shift position). I'm guessing i've placed a shift fork in the wrong place??
So I really dont want to do a full strip down again so first of all, can I work out whats wrong just by looking through the sump. And secondly incase I need to get to the box, can I simply split the case without having to remove the cylinder block etc. Ie split from the bottom. I'm actually quite devastated this has happened as its taken me 6 months to get to this stage and I was really keen to start her up this weekend. I'm also out of rego on thursday!

Seifer
15-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Oh ihaven't attached the clutch yet. Does that effect things?

loosebruce
15-09-2007, 06:45 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/425605297209771.jpg

Bottom pic the flat retainer that holds tue shift pawl in.
Sorry about the size of the pic.

suxukifreak
15-09-2007, 07:34 AM
I had trouble once when the gear shift rod got push in to far and the gear wouldnt change properly. Just a matter of pulling out the shaft to the correct position and replacing the clip.
Hope you get it sorted.

alfiestorm
15-09-2007, 07:38 AM
If you need to you can split the cases without dismantling the head barrels and all. I have just done it to my gixxer engine infact I have done it to several engines. Just make sure you have got all the bolts,nuts,hex heads and retaining plates out before you even attempt to split the cases.

cutcat
15-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Hey Seif(still haven't got those discs), anyway, my guess is your shift barrell is 180deg round the wrong way. This happened to my ZX7R but I noticed before I bolted her down hard. On the Kwaka you can't really get the forks around the wrong way but you will have to take the bottom off the donk to fix your error. Not too bad a job once you get into it. in fact it suprised me how easy it was to change a box on the Kwaka.
Good luck.

RUSS M8
15-09-2007, 06:12 PM
OK, 1st, make sure that you can't get all the gears. Do you have the gear shifter hooked up? Or just turning the shaft with pliars or similar...? Because the gear shifter gives huge mechanical advantage, actually takes abit of force to get all gears.
2nd, are you rotating the shafts while shifting? No gearbox will go up and down with stationary shafts. As you are moving the shifter, you should be trying to rotate the 2 gearbox shafts at the same time.

And yes, to get the gearbox out you can just take the lower crankcase half off without disturbing head/barrels ect. (just did it!)

Seifer
15-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Cut is sent it Thursday, it was to heavy to go Express so it should be there Monday.
Anyway I just went to take the engine out and figured i'd give it one last crack. LIke magic all the gears have now appeared and it is shifting perfectly. Fucked if I know why but unless it changes back, i'm one happy boy. All i had done is drop the sump. Its weird how my biks have a strange habit of fixing themselves. Does it all the bloody time...