PDA

View Full Version : TL1000S more problems

BANDITROD
13-09-2007, 07:10 PM
hi guys my mates got a TL1000s 98 model and every time it gets to 5500rpm it stops dead we found out the battery was fucked but still no go so any advice would be great Cheers Rod
p.s and yes its a fighter

RUSS M8
13-09-2007, 07:48 PM
The old TLS's are pretty reliable. Obvious checks, plugs OK - water around plugs or caps (especially front cylinder where the water gets flicked up), and fuel OK? Seen a few of the TL S tanks get small rust spots near the bottom (shit design) then the things start sucking water n rusty metal and all sorts into the carbs - they will usually run at low RPM only...

Any more info, was there any mods done just before it stopped? Standard IGN system? :)

fimpBIKES
13-09-2007, 07:49 PM
fuckin' 1st posters wanting help, well let me tell you something cun....

oh, its you LOL

anyways, go to the "zone"
im sure someone will have an answer there

u can bridge a thingy connector at the back and it might put up a fault code on the dash
thats if he has the orig dash?

BANDITROD
13-09-2007, 08:19 PM
ok yeah all normal checks done new plugs and oil and no new mods as far as i can tell its an electrical prob some where and yes its standard ignition thanks for the help to guys i almost scored this bike real cheap cos my mate thought it blew up so i offered him $1500 cash and he said yes to begin with but then changed his mind and wanted to fix it so i went round there today and it was clicking when trying to start it so i hooked up some jumper leads and away it went but when it hit 5500rpm (after warm up) it died so i was thinking that somewhere in the system it isnt getting enough power so will get a new battery tomorrow and see if that helps i reckon it will but i just thought i would check here to see if anyone had had the same trouble with theirs anyways thanks for your help men

zx12argh
13-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Its no whatevr's new tl is it and he's just too embarrassed to ask himself? was wondering if he was wishing he had bought a VTR instead [:p]

Stocky
14-09-2007, 06:31 AM
It complicated but the ECU changes the way it runs the engine about there.

I could be a dud cam pos sensor or something like that.

No fault code ?

Put it in dealer mode and see what it says.

Also the TL's are famous for poor electrical connections. They love Dielectric grease on every connector in the bike.

Last of all .... Even if it's running well they benifit from an "earthing kit"

I once got to talk the the japaneese guy that designed the TLS (on email) and he insisted that I should run a big fat earth wire from the neg terminal to each coil, the tripple clamps and the sub frame.

Knowing a bit about electricity I couldn't see it makeing any difference but I did it anyway and was amazed at the difference.
I've done it to 3 more of them since (and 1 TLR) and it's made them all run better.

I just used heavy power cable for car stereo amps etc.

BANDITROD
14-09-2007, 08:55 AM
ok thanks stocky will give that a try

WATEVR
14-09-2007, 06:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

Its no whatevr's new tl is it and he's just too embarrassed to ask himself? was wondering if he was wishing he had bought a VTR instead [:p]

not mine but shit hey you pricks are just tryn to get me now

ozzy1100
14-09-2007, 09:03 PM
stocky its called a hot earth
works every time lol ls1 in holdens pick up more than a few hp
just from running earths 2 the coils
must cars and bikes are under earthed
i allways was told what goes out must get back in

zx12argh
14-09-2007, 11:19 PM
most people think chassis are good conductors but mix different metals, paint, corrosion (can be invisible if its AlO2) and you just get a bunch of poor contacts. Alright for blinkers and stuff but fuck all for carrying decent amperage.

Stocky
15-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Yeh I wasn't going to get into the "Why" etc.

Was just trying to get the hint across to anyone that read it.

zx12argh
15-09-2007, 08:14 AM
sorry mate - got drunk last night and turned into a post whore. i get chatty after a few JB's

ozzy1100
15-09-2007, 09:04 AM
sorry same but it was jonny walking into a wall here lol

Stocky
15-09-2007, 05:43 PM
AH Great, snot and coke all over the screen LOL

Keep Walking LOL

ozzy1100
15-09-2007, 06:51 PM
lol thats the 1 stocky
my key board is sticky for all the wrong reasons lol

BANDITROD
22-10-2007, 02:58 PM
ok guys we have a new problem we got it running and it still wouldn't rev past 5k and then we left it for a day and came back started it and its got an awful knock coming from engine casing maybe bottom end bearings or rods or maybe just maybe we havn't got a fucking clue so any help would be great
p.s. its got 44000klms on the clock if you need to know
thanks in advance guys

ALBI
26-11-2011, 09:45 PM
i was going to ask but i saw the post date doh !!!!!!!

BANDITROD
26-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Lol don't worry I looked in here before thinking WTF when did I post that

BANDITROD
26-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Oh and so you know this thing chewed up a cam and fucked everything big time worked out cheaper to buy another donk

ALBI
26-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Oh and so you know this thing chewed up a cam and fucked everything big time worked out cheaper to buy another donk
ihear ya on that !! im buying another donk for mine ,cant be arsed to fix mine .