PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

Shane Dupuy
14-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi!,
I'm a newbie to the site and the street fighter scene. Although I've been riding for nearly 20 years i haven't got much of a clue when it comes to mechanicals. Hence the reason for joining the website. I've bought and sold heaps of bikes over the years and am keen on building a fighter. To begin with I've just bought myself a 92 GSXR 750. Is there a set process I should start with or should I just start anywhere and fix or buy new bits as i come across them? The bike need s a bit of work to but the bones are there. I only got it today but have already discovered that it nees a new set of header pipes. Are these expensive? I have seen a full micron exhaust system including headers on flea bay that came off a 2003 GsXR. Are headers a universal fit or are they specific to each model. As you can see, I'm clueless but look forward to advise from forum members much more knowledgable than myself!
Cheers,
Duey

sharky
14-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Welcome mate. You'll find plenty of gsxr <s>nerds</s> experts on here.;)

Jockney Rebel
15-04-2008, 12:06 AM
lmfao russ yeah welcome shane the place is crawling with suzy luvvers
where you at mate ?

15-04-2008, 12:24 AM
your headers are nothing like 2003 gsxr,keep your frame front an swinger the same,just modiy your tail unit/subframe.headers are rare,buy em new. good luck.

Shane Dupuy
15-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the assistance boys. I'm in god's country on the Sunshine Coast about 10 minutes south of Noosa. I've already got a complete set of 2007 race fairings at my disposal. I'll probably keep the duck tail as he had already modified the sub frame to fit. It looks pretty good but I'm keen on the minimalist look so am thinking of shortening it to the point where it will take the riders seat and nothing else. I got the idea off this site where all the pics from OS bikes are ...around page 12 or 13 there's a sweet looking black thing with docked subframe (I think its a CBR). Anyway, that's the plan, just got to learn how to weld and shit!
Duey

Gix11
15-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Welcome mate. Davo is just up the road from you. You should check out his Gixer some time.

Shane Dupuy
15-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I might just do that, especially if he's got half a brain as I'm pretty clueless when it comes to mechanical know how. I like riding bikes and I like pulling them apart and putting them back together but that's about the extent of the expertise. I could end up being Davo's worst nightmare!

Jockney Rebel
15-04-2008, 07:30 PM
..that answers my question ..reckon itll be time to regionalise our little band soon eh Si?

sharky
15-04-2008, 07:38 PM
quote:especially if he's got half a brain
So you've met him already ?;)

JackTar
15-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the club mate, if you have no clue about the ins and outs of bikes then do one small thing at a time mate (unless someone else is doing it) I learned the hard way that I was a mechanical spastic. A motorcycle is easy to pull apart but you can only stand and look and scratch your head for so long.

Iceman
16-04-2008, 12:52 AM
quote:quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
especially if he's got half a brain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you've met him already ?You beat me to it Russ. Welcome Shane.

Fight_fan
16-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Welcome shane! Sounds like u'v got ur work cut out mate! Keep us posted...

Shane Dupuy
16-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes. i know your all secretly pissing yourselves at what the near future holds for me. Rest assured I'll keep you all updated with the progress.
Drink up!
Duey