PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Cosmetic Repairs

Groomey
10-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Gday guys, new to this forum. Ive had a slight accident on my 05 Z1000 on some twisties near my place. My headlight needs to be replaced, front guard has a slight chip, all engine side covers have scratches, my tank is bashed in and rear cowl also scratched. With the headlight, im thinking of going for a twin headlight kit. Their are probably old forums with what u guys have done, not sure where to look for everything yet. I basically dont want to go to extreme, just to let the thing stand out abit. I dont want to spend much more than about AU3000. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers

BANDITROD
10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
what makes you think that you will get any help without at least introducing yourself properly in the welcome to the madness section
mate i dont mean to be a cunt but we get heaps of guys just wanting this or they are just selling that ,so do yourself a favour and go intro yourself mate

Groomey
11-09-2007, 06:08 PM
You sure sound like a cunt. This is a forum site, you come on here to talk shit about your bikes, organise rides etc. Its not a family gathering with kisses and hugs all round. All i wanted was some advice on what my best option is cause im abit stuck as to what i should do. You wont get any pleasure from helping me, but i thought the whole idea of this site was for discussion???

sharky
11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Mate, all we want is for you to introduce ya'self a bit....not much to ask is it ??

BANDITROD
11-09-2007, 06:27 PM
like i said i dont mean to come across as a cunt just go intro yourself mate and you will be suprised at the help you will recieve it common fuckin cuortisy thats all

BANDITROD
11-09-2007, 06:37 PM
try stu at ausfr imports heres his link http://ausfr.com.au/ hope this helps mate he has heaps of gear

WATEVR
12-09-2007, 07:21 AM
oooh angry little fella!!! a few guy have done z1000's around here so have a look at some of the past topics and you will get some good ideas. good to have another kwak owner round here.

zx12argh
12-09-2007, 12:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Groomey

You sure sound like a cunt. This is a forum site, you come on here to talk shit about your bikes, organise rides etc. Its not a family gathering with kisses and hugs all round. All i wanted was some advice on what my best option is cause im abit stuck as to what i should do. You wont get any pleasure from helping me, but i thought the whole idea of this site was for discussion???

Its a bit more then that mate - You've got guys who build top quality machines for a living and then you got guys doing just as good shit in their sheds (Particularly Banditrod - who you may or may not think is a Cunt but is actually a top bloke) - so what you and me and others are trying to do is tap this knowledge for our own gain. Some of us just like a proper hello to just show your not some tyre kicker who's going to bugger off after you've sorted yourself out. We want to see your ride in photos and in the flesh and see what you are doing to push the image of australian streetfighters.

Hope you take this as constructive and not a condescending rant.

Stick around and enjoy the site mate.

ozzy1100
12-09-2007, 04:22 PM
what he said ^^^^^^ lol

Groomey
12-09-2007, 05:36 PM
BANDITROD referred to himself as being a cunt. I can see what he meant, and probably rightfully so. But i had been on the forum for about 5 mins. Had no idea if their was a welcome page or not. So i thought he came across a little strong. As for pics, ill try send a before and after shot of the minor issue with the ashphalt

Groomey
12-09-2007, 05:42 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/87249580755616.JPG

This is when the bike was in immaculate cond. Only mod was a fender eliminator.

Groomey
12-09-2007, 05:45 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/87249598172445.jpg

A very sad day

BANDITROD
12-09-2007, 05:55 PM
ok mate that sounds fair to me so let me welcome you to the madness that is asf btw nice ride mate :D(i am realy a nice guy honest)

Groomey
12-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks. I just checked out your beast. Your craftsmanship is perfection.Its f***ing insane. Must have set you back a fare few quid. I dont no if i could trust myself riding something soo perfect on the road with all the idiots in cars(also myself).

Ino the 2nd pic doesnt give much away with the extent of damage caused on the tank, but if anyones an expert on panel beating. It would save me a trip to the shop if theirs no life left in this tank.

BANDITROD
12-09-2007, 06:11 PM
panel work isnt my specialty but i dont know how you would go getting that out mate it looks pretty fucked maybe try the wreckers for second hand one mate might be your best bet when i stacked mine i ended up buying new and the fucker cost me $800 it was almost criminal to sand the fresh 2pac black paint off it so it could be airbrushed anyways thats enough out of me

Groomey
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
You got a bargain at 800, ive been quoted 900 for a used tank at the wreckers. Bog would do the trick but i dont really wanna go with that idea.

BANDITROD
12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
i had to go new cos all the ones at wreckers were fucked i wouldnt use bog if i was you although it will get you out of a jam have you tried vic bike wreckers mate

sickboy
12-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Welcome Groomey,I'm no expert but I would think to bog and respray that tank could end up costing as much as the second hand one from the wreckers unless you know someone in the spray painting business,what was the one from the wreckers like?

gibbo
12-09-2007, 08:00 PM
G'day Groomey, It's looking sad for that tank mate, whilst it's a bit hard to tell by that photo the damage looks pretty bad. There is a lot of shape around that area and the metal is quite thin making repair difficult, would probably need to cut a hole in the back to fix it which then needs to be welded back in place, I think you might be better off finding another one. Shop around and see what you might find.

zx12argh
12-09-2007, 09:39 PM
^^^ what he said - the rest isn't that bad. Plastic weld and hit it with some colour - lucky you haven't got the satin pearl blue colour - you'd never be able to match it... Oh and don't bother going to Kawasaki for the paint codes - they dont release them. You have to take a sample to a paint shop and get it matched...

mrcheese
13-09-2007, 06:14 AM
can you pull it out, weld a bit on and pull like a bitch to see if you can at least make the dint a bit smaller if you have to bog

zx12argh
13-09-2007, 12:17 PM
I reckon the work involved in getting that tank straight would be the same as getting a replacement... there's just too many curves coming together...

You could get some self tappers drill them in and then pull like buggery with the proper panel beaters tool. You'd then weld the holes back up then bog the difference. (Put water in the tank when you weld it up [:p] - I almost burnt off my face welding a fuel tank that had been "empty" for 6 years)

What have you got to loose? BTW - what did you hit? Its an interesting impact site - no paint off [?]

Tony Nitrous
13-09-2007, 03:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

what makes you think that you will get any help without at least introducing yourself properly in the welcome to the madness section
mate i dont mean to be a cunt but we get heaps of guys just wanting this or they are just selling that ,so do yourself a favour and go intro yourself mate

2 more today.

One first post to rant about a bike shop,
One first post to buy something off a member.

Shame.

appo
13-09-2007, 05:29 PM
hey tony,
whats your fucking deal???
you just like having a fucking moan about other people
using this site or what..
Ive read most of your posts and comments and sounds like you dont know much anyway!
so what if we are new??
stop busting our balls huh?!!
Is this what it like on this site, try to get info or help by dropping
a comment and some poof with an attitude thinks its a SHAME......
real helpful forum fellas!!

Gix11
13-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Stick around mate and it will all become clear to you. Trust me.

Groomey
13-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I spoke to a panelbeater in hornsby today. Hes quoted me 500 dollars to pull out the dint and respray. He said its amazing what you can do to tanks these days bla bla. So ill take the tank and a few other bits over to him to sand back and respray. Thinking of buying a radiator guard but just keeping them aside for when i sell the bike down the track. Cause i reckon it looks better without em anyways. I wasnt going to bother re using the stock headlight, plus i much prefer streetfighter units.

jakam04
13-09-2007, 08:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Groomey

I spoke to a panelbeater in hornsby today. Hes quoted me 500 dollars to pull out the dint and respray. He said its amazing what you can do to tanks these days bla bla. So ill take the tank and a few other bits over to him to sand back and respray. Thinking of buying a radiator guard but just keeping them aside for when i sell the bike down the track. Cause i reckon it looks better without em anyways. I wasnt going to bother re using the stock headlight, plus i much prefer streetfighter units.

Hey Groomey..

What would you like for your headlight assembly?

Jarrod

Groomey
14-09-2007, 07:34 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/216634512298643.JPG

Not a very good picture, it shows were the mount has been crasked for the headlight unit. Im not 100% on what im doing with the headlight yet soo ill get back to you down the track if your still interested. Not sure if u can plastic weld it or not.

Took the tank to the panel beater, hes very confident he'll be able to fix it, hes respraying it and the duct tail for 700 which i thought was pretty good. Im gonna get the engine covers all blacked out from a mate who is also a panel beater. Its just basically the headlight i have to decide on

zx12argh
14-09-2007, 11:17 PM
I reckon one of these from www.Ausfr.com.au would look tidy - if you are going to respray why not go something different ;) get some airbrushing done etc etc - once you start where does it end.... about the point where the wallet empties [B)]

Did anyone mention full financial members of aussie streetfighters get 10% of with sponsors? That includes all of stu's tasty bits over at AuSFR.... I'm such a whore...

Stu give me a couple months and I have about 1500 worth of shit I want to buy :D
http://ausfr.com.au/cart/violator.jpg

pommie
15-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Trust me that dint is nothing, sadly if you can't do it yourself yes it will cost big $ to fix properly, if you plan on re-selling the bike it needs to be 100% right. My advice keep searching the wreakers.
I restored bikes for years as a job and the worst one I did was of a 1920's tank it was beaten to shit, with more rust holes than metal. Took about 40 hours just on the tank.

Groomey
16-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Just some info for you guys. I went to a kawasaki dealer that my mate works at to check retail prices for spare parts. A brand new painted but no fittings tank costs 1700 plus gst. And the headlight unit and fairing is 1050 then add gst. When they can sell the bike for 15500 brand new and still make good profit, they must value all the parts at about 10% the retail of spare parts. thieving pooftas. So this basically means im looking for a streetfighter headlight that flows with my bike.

I quite like this one, not alot of zeds have afterparket lights. Probably cause the std ones are quite good looking so its hard findind what looks good on them. If anyone has any idea where i could find this particular one id appreciate it.

Groomey
16-09-2007, 05:58 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/63451864387508.jpg

BOHEMION
16-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Look for a Buell twin headlight and screen setup.

fimpBIKES
16-09-2007, 07:09 PM
they look like LSL "mig" lights
DO NOT ask how much they are worth...

the screen doesnt look buell to me? a cut down double-bubble?

the setup works though!

sickboy
17-09-2007, 03:03 PM
That screen looks like the one on your Zed Groomey,Quickdraw should be able to sort you out with the twin spots.

17-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Damn, I thought this thread was about some dumb blonde with lippy problems.

And no I'm not a cunt, I'm 'The Cunt' around here :D