PDA

View Full Version : Calling all pommie beer drinkers in SE QLD

Gix11
25-03-2008, 10:59 PM
After 13 years in Australia I must admit to missing one thing about the UK, and that's a real pub. You know the sort, no pokies, no "Oprah" playing on a TV that no one is watching, no TAB, no ceilings so high, and lights so bright that you might as well be in a library, no lager, lager or lager choices only, just a true down to earth UK pub. Well guess what? My world just became complete! Check this bad boy out:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/11801215372695.jpg

This is the result of 4 years of rebuilding the Suffolk Arms from Tunbridge Wells, brick by brick to it's former glory. The owner has had it in storage since 1984 in a container in Burleigh and has been trying to find just the right spot to rebuild it, and bugger me - has he found it!!

It's been open since last Tuesday and has had me in it twice since I found out about it on Friday. This pub is the real deal and it has not been advertised - yet it is jam packed every time I've been. It has real ales on tap, including IPA, Speckled Hen, and various black ales, and soon he's introducing London Pride, Newcastle Brown and some speciality stuff. If you're a pansy lager boy there's stuff for you as well, plus all the Irish and Scotch whisky you could want. Full English and Irish meals, memerobilia, ......do I sound like I like it yet or not? It's too good, and it's on the run through Tamborine down to Upper Coomera, plus the landlord loves bikes and welcomes them - and they do a full English Breakfast on Sunday mornings - black pudding and the works. It doesn't get any better.

So what we doing after AFR?

Jockney Rebel
25-03-2008, 11:09 PM
fuk me Si is it on the way to surfers .....

Gix11
25-03-2008, 11:16 PM
It's in the Hinterland Jim, just behind Surfers. Would take you 20-30 minutes through traffic to get there. I'm sure you'll be sampling it mate!

Jockney Rebel
25-03-2008, 11:39 PM
me and my little bro WILL be there rest assured

pommie02
26-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Has it got a beer garden and 2p one arm bandits ?

Learnatic
26-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Bags not being designated driver!Always wanted to go to U.K. but cant afford it,now I can do it with out leaving the coast,sweet.

zx12argh
26-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Hell yeah - spent many sunday arvos down me local in Hendon/Brent Cross/Cricklewood... I wasn't much into the Aussie pubs over there. You can keep you fucking blood pudding tho. :D
Do they do a good soggy chips and fish [:p] Lots of vinegar and mayo please!

Tony Nitrous
26-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I've given up the drink but still keen to have a look.

This was one of my regular haunts back home.
(Himley, near Dudley, it started to fall over, built over
mine shafts, but they just prop'ed it up...[8D].)
Inside was just as bad !!!
BRILLIANT when your p*ssed...:D

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8082/crookedhouse2af3.jpg

Jockney Rebel
26-03-2008, 04:36 PM
typically mental......

Gix11
26-03-2008, 05:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by pommie02

Has it got a beer garden and 2p one arm bandits ?

Yep, beer garden, and I reckon he'd have some 2p slots in his collection somewhere!

Gix11
26-03-2008, 05:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Learnatic

Bags not being designated driver!Always wanted to go to U.K. but cant afford it,now I can do it with out leaving the coast,sweet.

They might be doing a quiz night soon mate. I reckon you're on the team if he does with me and Ed. Also Thursday night is Curry night apparently!

Gix11
26-03-2008, 05:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

Hell yeah - spent many sunday arvos down me local in Hendon/Brent Cross/Cricklewood... I wasn't much into the Aussie pubs over there. You can keep you fucking blood pudding tho. :D
Do they do a good soggy chips and fish [:p] Lots of vinegar and mayo please!

Yep, big chips, fish and garlic mayo.

Large
26-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Bet you some paki geezer is already planning to buy the block next door to set up a curry house

Tony Nitrous
26-03-2008, 06:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

Bet you some paki geezer is already planning to buy the block next door to set up a curry house

... or a van out the front doing Keebabs...;)

Wonder if they have Banks's, M&B (Mitchels and Butler)or Ansells ?

Who remembers Tennants Extra, Tennants Super
and Carlsberg Special Brew!

Large
26-03-2008, 06:24 PM
What about some nice scrumpy cider?

btw I love your new mazdadada Si

Gix11
26-03-2008, 06:31 PM

That's not mine you bell. He was another geezer who couldn't wait to get in. Didn't even close his doors, .....and it was closed anyway.

sharky
26-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Is there a web link Si ?

Jockney Rebel
26-03-2008, 08:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

... or a van out the front doing Keebabs...;)

Wonder if they have Banks's, M&B (Mitchels and Butler)or Ansells ?

Who remembers Tennants Extra, Tennants Super
and Carlsberg Special Brew!
Tony i wouldnt be a proper Scot if i hadnt been pissed on the-lady-on-the-can,
carlsberg and strongbow snakebites have bin responsible for a few pub bannings and at least one busted jukebox as well:D

Jockney Rebel
26-03-2008, 08:55 PM
theyll be a mincab office next door in a few months with dodgy datsuns and toyotas with the wheels fallin off and that phone box will be full of "those cards "

sharky
26-03-2008, 09:16 PM
quote:carlsberg and strongbow snakebites
What kinda Northern girls drink is that ??[B)]??
You need Carlsberg Special Brew and Merrydown cider mate....and a bit of black currant for nice frothy purple puke [xx(]

Large
26-03-2008, 09:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

That's not mine you bell. He was another geezer who couldn't wait to get in. Didn't even close his doors, .....and it was closed anyway.

Still in the "denial" stage then...

BOHEMION
26-03-2008, 09:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

I've given up the drink but still keen to have a look.

This was one of my regular haunts back home.
(Himley, near Dudley, it started to fall over, built over
mine shafts, but they just prop'ed it up...[8D].)
Inside was just as bad !!!
BRILLIANT when your p*ssed...:D

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8082/crookedhouse2af3.jpg

Bet it looked square when pissed and everyone walked straight[:p]

Fish
27-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Ya bastards!! Do you know how hard it is to find good fish at chips at 11 at night? Well do ya?! Bloody impossible, that how hard! We had to settle for bloody chicken, you hear me CHICKEN!!! I can tell you that there was no bloody garlic in that mayo either! Plain CHICKEN with PLAIN mayo!:(

So what's the adress of this pub anyway?[?]

Gix11
01-04-2008, 04:26 PM
It's on the Oxenford to Tamborine road just before the incline up the mountain on the right hand side.

Pommy Chopper
02-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Si you're a Fackin legend!!
Bit of a drive for us but we'll go and see what's what, might even buy the boy his first pint in there, (what with him being 2 weeks old today)!!
Does that pub come with chavs? You know, them twats with the tucked in jumpers, greasy hair and a look of "are you looking at my bird"?? As the strut round the pub???

We like Chavs, especially if you're looking for someone to administer a fucking good hiding to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers all.:D

Fish
02-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Sweet I know where I'll be on the weekend.:D

Gix11
02-04-2008, 03:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Pommy Chopper

Si you're a Fackin legend!!
Bit of a drive for us but we'll go and see what's what, might even buy the boy his first pint in there, (what with him being 2 weeks old today)!!
Does that pub come with chavs? You know, them twats with the tucked in jumpers, greasy hair and a look of "are you looking at my bird"?? As the strut round the pub???

We like Chavs, especially if you're looking for someone to administer a fucking good hiding to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers all.:D

Luckily it was a Chav-free zone when I was there. Pretty sure he didn't import any of them with his collection of stuff (unless the theiving bastards got locked in the shipping container while trying to nick shit of course).

zx12argh
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Old post but if anyone is keen - I might be *cough* driving *cough* up here for a saturday lunch with a couple of mates.

Gix11
10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I hope you've booked mate. That fuckin' place is booked out weeks ahead now.

zx12argh
10-07-2008, 02:10 PM
shit... really? Got any contact details mate - I've searched under Suffolk Arms in the white pages but can't get a phone number. Probably going up sunday morning now... hopefully...

Gix11
10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
That's it's original name (which I think I actual found out was called the Sussex Arms), it's now called the Fox and Hounds....

THE FOX AND HOUNDS COUNTRY INN
Ph; 07 5665 7582
Fax: 07 5665 7583
Mobile: 0419 727 618

Corner of Oxenford Tamborine Road & Elevation Drive
Wongawallan
QLD 4210

zx12argh
10-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks Si - you're a champ
Bollocks. They don't do the sunday breaky anymore and they are booked out this weekend. Glad I know rather then just turning up tho!

Gix11
10-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I gave up a while ago mate. They are ALWAYS booked. You have to book weeks in advance.

Tony Nitrous
10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Called in for a drink a few weeks back.

I think they opened about 12,
and stopped booking tables at 12.15 !

zx12argh
10-07-2008, 09:44 PM
How about an organised meet up in a few weeks for a couple pints and some tucker.
I'll even make the booking ;)
By the sounds of it 2 weeks in advance may be enough notice.

Gix11
11-07-2008, 11:54 AM
I'll be in for that.

Jockney Rebel
11-07-2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/84317781785915.jpg

anyone seen me son .....?lol apparently hes gone to some pub up your way