PDA

View Full Version : Fightering / lowering a ZX6R ?

HOS
10-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Got hold of a mint 2000 Zx6R, bog standard and its v.low mileage.

Thinking about the bike for my lady, but she is a tad vertically challenged. Shes about 5 foot tall ok !

I need to lower the seat by about 3" or at worst 4".
Its not going to be easy, but by giving it straight bars, this will make the seating position easier. More upright riding position helps with shorter legs.
So I`m looking at dropping the fork legs, a new shorter rear shock, to give maybe 1" lower.
The rest will have to be by a new tail unit to give the remaining 2" to 3" lower.
The shorter shocks will mean less clearance under the seat, so its a tricky one.
Any ideas ?

I am just speculating at the moment, I may just sell the bike on.

Thanks

pommie02
10-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Ive heard a rumour that you can make lowering links out of plastic....it saves on weight

Hillsy
10-09-2007, 07:58 PM
My 2000 ZX9 has a rear ride height adjuster as standard - might be able to fit one to the ZX6?? Either that or lowering links / longer dogbones. You can get then on eGay pretty cheap.

You going to be taking the fairings and ram air off? If so, you'll need to mod the carb balance pipe and airbox:
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1396&SearchTerms=ram,air
That's not too hard to do.

Gix11
10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Yea, the dog bones would be the first stop. They would probably make the biggest difference, then get the seat foam cut down and recovered.

zx12argh
10-09-2007, 10:34 PM
You could always just put smaller wheels on it...

hooligan
10-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Let the air out of the tyres, that'll lower it a bit.

11-09-2007, 12:04 AM
make her wear boots with bloody big soles mate, or a pair of stilettos, some black leather, a whip etc etc etc :D

HOS
11-09-2007, 07:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

make her wear boots with bloody big soles mate, or a pair of stilettos, some black leather, a whip etc etc etc :D

Yes, I would end up with a pool que round my head if I made that suggestion to her thank you.

:D