PDA

View Full Version : VTR V's TLS

WATEVR
09-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Well guys i have a dilema!!! i have started looking for another bike and have been tossing up the idea of either a TLS or a VTR. The question is from experience would you recomend either of these models or steer me away from one?
i will be looking at second hand and any advice would be great, even what engine checks can be done when checking a bike out that is being privately sold.
cheers guys

chris

hmmmnz
09-09-2007, 11:55 PM
the tl is fairly ugly, i personally would go with the vtr,
other than looks they are both good bikes

fimpBIKES
10-09-2007, 01:11 AM
there is no doubt that the honda was a better finished bike out of the crate

but i would go a tls without any hesitation
i might be a bit biased though...

Cruisecontrol
10-09-2007, 04:28 AM
I've had both and they are like chalk and cheese. The TL's engine was a bit snatchy around town but the frame and suspension set-up was awesome.
The VTR's engine was a dream but they cut some cost corners like RWU forks and I found the handling lacking compared to the TL.

Slingblade
10-09-2007, 07:17 AM
The TL is the real deal, but you need to really love it as they have quirks that you just wont get on a VTR. The TL engine is a thing to behold though. It hauls.

If you can find a TLS with an aftermarket shock then grab it. If it hasnt then check around the rotary damper for cracks to the mounting lugs. This is fairly rare and is only due to dumb-asses overtightening the mounting bolts.

The VTR is Honda boring for mine, but it is really reliable and more user friendly for pillions etc.

Dont let the press bullshit scare you off the TLS, it aint twitchy when compared to modern supersports and reliability isnt an issue either. Mine has 108000km and is still going strong with the original rotary damper and engine.

I may be biased as well. I have a 97 TLS........

http://wotid.com/tls/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,67/

Try this for an article on second hand TLS.

Loz
10-09-2007, 08:49 AM
I hated the VTR and loved the TL, the TL engine is sweet as a nut, especially in the SV1000N, where it floats the front at will and makes a general hooligan out of itself.

zx12argh
10-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm living with a VTR and loving it - I commute daily, do the mountains on weekends, pillion, highway shit and it does everything I want with no problems. Wheelies well too :D

I looked at either a TL vs a VTR - for your money you can get a newer VTR with lower k's and in better knick. The last TL was made years ago (5 years?? not sure - dont care [:p]) they were still making VTR's this year. I got a brand new out of the box VTR on the road for $12500 people were asking for a TL with 40,000 on the clock for similar money.

fimpBIKES
10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
i know frasers in newcastle were running the naked honda twins out at some bloody low prices when i was in there a month ago!

oh, and the SV1000 unfortunately does not have a TL engine :(
i think the last ones were in 2002?

WATEVR
10-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Pete you make a good point with the modern twins (assume good service history) what is average km's? as for the pricing your right but im also finding that second hand vtr's are getting up near the new ones and if your not in a hurry you can get a good TL for a good price. theres a TLS here in adelaide for sale for 7500 ono 1998 30,000kms and very stock and last week there was one a year older with yoshis and 16,000 for the same price..........ARGH i will just have to wait and see what pops up

zx12argh
10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah with your budget in mind that may be an issue... I think a lot of the VTR fellas haven't realised the price drop and are still selling theirs at inflated prices. Make them an offer considering mine was new for what they are asking.

I didn't look much at the second hand market so not sure what average k's are - but bear in mind that they are a pretty typical commuter so they may have get the k's on quick. I wanted a near new or brand new bike so I stretched my budget a bit considering the issues I had with my 2nd hand zx12r - but I got to run it in my way and got that nice new bike smell...

Knuckles NZ
12-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I aggree with Slingblade and have ridden both, the TLs is the holligans bike by far the VTR is nice but thats the problem its nice and the TLs is just nasty, nasty, nasty like a good fighter should be.

WATEVR
12-09-2007, 11:52 PM
deal done i'm now the owner of a TLS!!

Knuckles NZ
13-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Top man.